Need your opinions.....

Gerald

Registered
Hey guys and girls,I need your opinion on this so please don't be too brutal.As you know I'm looking for a legit builder w/ paperwork and this one is local so tell me what she's worth......1 owner,2000 Busa purchased new in 2000.Earlier this month he blew the motor and now he's decided to sell the bike as is because he's now interested in buying a Harley V-Rod.I'm not exactly sure what damage is done to the engine but he told me it is blown and he got a repair estimate for $2600.00.Here's the 411 on the bike.......it's been lowered for the last 3 years,and has a few bolt ons such as cans,hump,db sheild,chromed swingarm,chromed wheels and it also has been re-mapped.The bike has always been garaged and it's super clean w/ a clear title.......What would you guys pay for a bike in this condition?

Not Much. You need to know what is wrong wit the motor. Blow is to general. What else could be wrong gears tranny etc. It really depends on how much time and effort you wnat to put into it. If the plastic is in good shape that is about $800-$1,100 in parts.

Earlier this month he blew the motor <<-- too vague .. top end ...bottom end ? cracked block ? split head ? .. it maybe salvagable ?!! so ( What Ninja said )
wink.gif

It's been my experience that you should always buy the best you can afford, and let the previous owner pay for all the updates. This situation looks like the current owner wants you to pay for his mistakes - bad deal for you.
Check e'bay and CycleTrader.com and you'll get a good idea of what it will cost to get what you want.

Figuring $60-90/hr labor rates, and the cost of the parts, the worst case senario might be that between labor and parts you'll pay the same amount for a new engine & trany. Check to see what the engine/trany cost brand new, then make your decision.

Earlier this month he blew the motor  <<-- too  vague .. top end ...bottom end ?  cracked block ? split head ? .. it maybe  salvagable ?!!  so   (  What  Ninja said  )    
wink.gif
Knowing he always rode the bike hard I didn't even look at the details of the estimate paperwork.In most cases it's always a whole different story after the motor is torn down.I pretty much decided that if I was to buy it I'd pay my mechanic @ Sportbike Performance to install a healthier powerplant.I'd sell whatever could be salvaged from the damaged engine over the net.As for the bodywork it's in pretty good shape but let's not forget,I purchased a complete set in pieces via Ebay during this past winter and had it all repainted in Busa's Blue Pearl.It's neatly hanging and waiting for a new home.I'd sell 1 set to cover a few new expenses.

NE is right, you could need a complete new engine, if you could get the bike cheap, and I mean cheap, busafever has a low mileage engine for like $ 1800.00
wink.gif

Figuring $60-90/hr labor rates, and the cost of the parts, the worst case senario might be that between labor and parts you'll pay the same amount for a new engine & trany.  Check to see what the engine/trany cost brand new, then make your decision.
Luckly my mechanic is a good friend of mines who by the way race these beast almost every weekend so my labor cost won't be to bad considering I'd be at his side giving him a hand.I'm thinking if I'm out of pocket $3500.00-$4000.00 for everything it might not be a bad deal.

Figuring $60-90/hr labor rates, and the cost of the parts, the worst case senario might be that between labor and parts you'll pay the same amount for a new engine & trany.  Check to see what the engine/trany cost brand new, then make your decision.
Luckly my mechanic is a good friend of mines who by the way race these beast almost every weekend so my labor cost won't be to bad considering I'd be at his side giving him a hand.I'm thinking if I'm out of pocket $3500.00-$4000.00 for everything it might not be a bad deal.
If you can hold the cost to that range then you would have gotten a heck of a deal...What are the changes you can stay there I don't know...I would factor in worst case scenario with the cost of a new engine and tranny...Calculate and go from there...

It also depends on if you want a project or not. I forgot who it was, but the guy that gave 2500.00 for the busa that went over the cliff.....he bought it mainly for a project and that can kinda rationalize the money. If you want a project and think you can get out for (realistically) 5000 to 5500, then go for it!!
wink.gif

My thinking on this which is very realistic BTW........If I can get the bike for $1500.00-$2000.00 and spend another $2500.00 at the most for an engine including parts & installation I'd still be okay.I'd be lucky if I could buy any Busa @ $4500.00 in this area not unless it was mangled.The only reason I'm considering this is because I personally know the bike owners father and I also personally know my mechanic who is a Certified Motorcyle Mechanic who stands behind his work.

Back