Need your help guys

Charlesbusa

Used to be a SoCal Busa
Donating Member
Registered
The whole story,

After 33,000+ miles my original clutch starting slipping.  My mechanic ordered a Barnett clutch kit.  Then I found out from this site that other guys have had problems with Barnett clutch kits.  But it was too late as my mechanic had already recieved it.  So he installed the clutch kit and drained/flushed/refilled my clutch fluid.

Everything was great for a couple hundred miles...

Then the feel in the clutch lever starting moving out to the tip, then the clutch starting slipping.  I figured since the board had problems with Barnett clutches that that was the problem.  So he ordered/installed stock fiber plates and stock springs, but left the barnett steel plates on the bike. The new barnett fiber plates were really worn after only 4k miles.

As I was riding home, I noticed the clutch feel was still at the end of the lever and the clutch was still slipping.  
mad.gif

And on Sat, I have a trackday!  
mad.gif

So this is where I'm at.  I have just tomorrow to get this clutch problem figured out!!

At WO(wide open) throttle in 1st-4th gears there is no slipping(that I can feel in the seat of my pants) until around 7k rpm.  It slips some from 7-9k, then it slips a lot thru 9-10k rpm.

One guy mentined it might be a bad map in my PC3, so I totally disconnected the PC3.  And the clutch still slips...

I'm convinced its a clutch problem due to the clutch engagement point is at the end of the lever.  I think if I can get the engagement point somewhere closer to the middle of the lever travel, the clutch won't slip anymore.

Do you think the stock steel plates will fix the problem?  Is it a problem with the hydraulic side of the clutch?  I was told there is an adjustment screw at the transmission where the clutch fluid pushes on the ball bearing and rod.  Will that make a difference??

Any ideas or help is appreciated!  
1zhelp.gif

<!--EDIT|Charlesbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1151642801 -->

mad.gif

Update,

I bought and installed the stock steel plates, so now the clutch is 100% stock and brand new. It still slips...

Thought maybe the clutch fluid was over filled, drained some out. Still slips...

In 2nd gear, it starts slipping at 7grand.
In 3rd gear, it starts slipping at 8grand.

It feels like the clutch is slipping or the tire is spinning.

I'm running out of ideas of what this could be....

Damn bro, must be frustrating... sorry to hear, wish I had more suggestions for you but it sounds like you have tried everything?
rock.gif

Maybe a bad clutch slave cylinder that can't hold the pressure, or the master cylinder may need to be rebuilt.

Another more dreadfull thing to think of is the transmission is having a problem, the infamous gear slipping issue. Mine had it and it cost me over a grand to replace the transmission. I will PM you, call me if you get stuck.
smile.gif

<!--EDIT|justintime2
Reason for Edit: None given...|1151714944 -->

A bad slave or master will not cause the kind of slippage you are talking about.

Sound like a straight up clutch problem to me.

Now a regular cable clutch can cause slippage by not having the proper amount of freeplay...hydraulic clutches dont work that way.
I suppose there is the off chance that the slave is holding fluid but I doubt it.

Sounds something is wrong with the clutch...I cannot help you more because I dont really know alot about bike clutches.
If I was in your shoes id take it all apart and inspect everything and make sure everything is in place according to the service manual.

Honestly, Make Damn sure your fingers are not resting on the clutch lever, as RPMs rise so does our tendancy to get ahead of ourselves and get ready to shift. I have a come across a couple of Busa Clutches where a couple of fingers laid across the lever is enough under acceleration/FWO to start slipping... Move them fingers and the slippage went away, Go figure.

Just a thought. I think it's one of those things, kind of like a lot of folks never actually getting to FWO throttle even though tey swear they are twisting it full wide...

Hopefully it's something just this easy.
wink.gif

Thanks guys, I'll check into the slave and master cylinders.

As far as the transmission issues, wasn't that only related to 2nd?? I've had 2nd, 3rd, and 4th slip. 5th and 6th or too weak to tell if there is slipping, and I don't have the balls to get the throttle wide open in 1st before redline approaches and its time to shift...

What type of oil are you using some Synth. have a Enviromental Additive that will make the clutches slip make sure the oil your using dont have an EA.on the back of the bottle ,I think thats right , am I right guys ,keep me in check ..:)

Good luck bro.

Back