Need technical help

dnolder

Donating Member
Registered
I installed a used Yoshimura rs 3 exhaust (complete system). I am now getting a ticking noise somewhere in vicinity of cylinder 1 or 2. I also removed all the smog system. I have removed this system and reinstalled 3 times. I am using permatex copper sealant where upper pipe goes on by the flange, I cleaned the inner part of gasket in the head and everything else. This noise was not there with the stock exhaust. I'm about ready to just pull off and put stock exhaust back on any help in figuring this out would be greatly appreciated. I also used a mechanical stethoscope and a hose held in my ear to try and figure out which cylinder is causing the noise and cannot figure it out.

Sounds like a leak for sure . Hope the flange hasn't warped on ya .:(

I can almost promise that its the header gaskets. They are like $20 for the set of 4. The only hard part is getting them out and having to basically redo the entire install
sad.gif

Sounds like I'll have to try gaskets, what's the trick in getting them out? Another question, I made homemade covers and hi temp gasket material when removing smog stuff could a leak there cause the noise?

Uhmmm....I have a little trick I've used with great success on many other bikes I've installed full exhaust systems on...annnd...used the original exhaust gaskets (with continued & constant success) and...it goes like this...

a. Using a pair of pliers and a propane torch evenly heat the hollow copper crush gasket all around until it's near "orange hot" then...

b. Immediately submerse it into a nearby pot of ice water.

The heat makes it grow and then "the ice water quenching process" rapidly cools it before it has a chance to shrink back to it's already been used crushed size....and is now ready to be installed and crushed again to create a proper exhaust port seal between the exhaust port face and the headpipe flanges.

It's not the cost that bugs me...it's the pita of ordering, paying up front and then waiting for them to come in so you can once again drive across town to go pick them up....screw that.
laugh.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

<!--EDIT|JINKSTER
Reason for Edit: None given...|1137625842 -->

Yes when you remove the PAIR system and dont get the seal right on the small covers that cover the hole you can have an exhaust leak that will make a ticking noise. You know that the aftermarket pipes are alot lighter material than the stock double wall head pipe. So are you sure that you are not just hearing the different sound of the thinner pipes. If you have a leak at one of the ports you should be able to pinpoint it with the use of a hose like you said. When I put the BDE system on mine I reused the exhaust gaskets and I didnt put sealer on anything. While you are listening with the hose you could have someone block the tail pipe if there is a leak this should make it louder.

make sure your leak is coming from the headers and not the collection pipes on the bottome side of the motor. Usually a used system had some bending and deformation of the round pipes making them irregular shaped. This is where the leak is on my micron system, where #1 goes into the collection pipe.

Back