Need some step-by-step help please

VaBusa

oRg Gal
Staff member
Administrator
I was on a brief ride last week and noticed that the temp on my Busa was creeping up in a matter of minutes when I stopped to talk to a neighbor...not good...riding in traffic this summer will likely be an adventure, full of me pulling over and posing next to the beast while he cools down...
tounge.gif

I've had problems with my Busa overheating before, thought about Engine Ice, always checking my coolant level, etc...honestly, I think there must be a kink in a line or something...the fan kicks on; I can hear it...the coolant level has NEVER moved a bit, and I don't think Engine Ice will help much...I think it's something a bit more mechanical...

I need some step-by-step help with going over the cooling system...I know how to do plenty on my Busa and have become quite handy with tools and tearing the Busa apart, but honestly, I'm stupid when it comes to the cooling system and where to even begin...

Just some advice on where to start looking for a problem with the cooling system please.
smile.gif

...and remember

blonde.jpg

tsk tsk tsk blonde and female....well at least you ride a busa
blush.gif

I take it from your post that this is a new problem. Here are some of the first things I would check that are easy to do.

-check radiator fins for excessive dirt/bugs or bent fins obstructing airflow. Can use compressed air or water spray to clean out.

-Remove cap from radiator when cool. Fluid should be up to the very top. If not top it off with 50/50 mix coolant/distilled water. Consider replacing cap and cleaning out overflow hose and coolant tank on L side.

Try these first and see what happens. If the problem persists there may be air in the system or a defective thermostat.

Good luck.

When running, check to see if there's pressure on the coolant lines. Careful they are gonna be hot
wink.gif

I guess there's pressure tests for the cooling system, like with cars, maybe see if that can be done?

Also, they recommend changing the coolant after 2yrs, so if its been that long, might as well do that too. I can definately say that the engine ice has done wonders for mine, even with the crazy humidity around here and heat, mine never gets over the midway on the gauge.
cool.gif

<span style='font-size:13pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:purple'>I installed a metal fan on my other Hayabusas's but not this one yet. Suppose to help but i am not sure. I live in Ga and it gets HOT . I will install one soon. maybe you should try one...</span></span>

I take it from your post that this is a new problem. Here are some of the first things I would check that are easy to do.

-check radiator fins for excessive dirt/bugs or bent fins obstructing airflow. Can use compressed air or water spray to clean out.

-Remove cap from radiator when cool. Fluid should be up to the very top. If not top it off with 50/50 mix coolant/distilled water. Consider replacing cap and cleaning out overflow hose and coolant tank on L side.

Try these first and see what happens. If the problem persists there may be air in the system or a defective thermostat.

Good luck.
First, thanks to 'him' for his always insightful quips...
laugh.gif

Cutter, it's actually been a problem since I bought the Busa. I've only had BIG problems once while cruising the strip in Va Beach and having it get way too hot...pulled over and just sat for a while 'til it was cooled down...with the open road riding I do, overheating hasn't really been a big issue, but two summers later, I figure it's time to find the sourse of the problem...

Radiator is clean, and coolant has never budged a millimeter...

I've read talk of checking lines for kinks, etc...that's what I'm leaning toward now...a kind in the line, or is there something bigger I need to check?
rock.gif

smile.gif
Thanks though cutter...been there, done those...

just switch to engine ice.... the problem should go away or at least calm down a good bit .... but seriously, dunno beyond that except to flush the system and see how the flow is coming out. if its coming out as fast as you pour it in, probably nothing major in there going wrong. If you dont get but a dribble comin out, well then somethin is hosed
wink.gif

just switch to engine ice.... the problem should go away or at least calm down a good bit .... but seriously, dunno beyond that except to flush the system and see how the flow is coming out.  if its coming out as fast as you pour it in, probably nothing major in there going wrong.  If you dont get but a dribble comin out, well then somethin is hosed
wink.gif
gee thanks...
laugh.gif

Okay, so flushing the system may be a good place to start then...I won't be making that run to Va Beach next month if I don't figure out what's going on...
cool.gif

Guess I'll bring the extra engine ice I have and we'll have to fix you up before the ride then
tounge.gif
Actually might have enough to do another bike
smile.gif

If you wuss out on the ride in YOUR BACKYARD .... hmmmm maybe we'll just have to come drag you outta the house
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
smile.gif
tounge.gif

laugh.gif

smile.gif

tounge.gif

Guess I'll bring the extra engine ice I have and we'll have to fix you up before the ride then
tounge.gif
  Actually might have enough to do another bike
smile.gif

If you wuss out on the ride in YOUR BACKYARD .... hmmmm maybe we'll just have to come drag you outta the house
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
smile.gif
tounge.gif
Oh, I'm not backing out!!! I'm just worried that you guys will get pics of me posing along side the road while Caesar cools off...I'm trying to salvage some dignity here...
laugh.gif

smile.gif

laugh.gif

smile.gif

tounge.gif

laugh.gif

smile.gif

oh, we'd probably find some way to twist it
wink.gif
I'm sure it will be just fine.

Other possible causes....
1. Test your fluid to make sure it's still good!
2. Fan not coming on and/or working.
3. Thermostat is bad.
4. Water pump is bad.
5. Kinked hoses/lines.
6. This should keep you busy for a while.....

In addition to all that, you may want to upgrade to a Muzzys fan (6-blade vs. stock 5-blade). If there are no kinks anywhere or air in the system, the new fan plus engine ice should do the trick.

In addition to all that, you may want to upgrade to a Muzzys fan (6-blade vs. stock 5-blade).  If there are no kinks anywhere or air in the system, the new fan plus engine ice should do the trick.
But I don't wanna!!!! Whaaaaaa...

I just want a kink in the hose...
smile.gif

Thanks Ken...I've got some things to start looking at...I'll post pics of my burns soon...
laugh.gif

One other really quick question..... Are you positive this is a cooling issue and not something else? Some examples; Oil level low/high can cause the engine to run alot hotter, Fuel/air mixture incorrect can also lead to hotter engine temps, and an easy one to look for the Fuel tank breather hose is kinked or obstructed! Sometimes, we look at the wrong systems for all the right reasons......

Hey, did I mention check the radiator cap? Are you getting any Codes with the bike in dealer mode? I believe C15 is the code for the ECT sensor, which could explain your problem..

<!--EDIT|ks-waterbug
Reason for Edit: None given...|1118135798 -->

Hey VA, I agree with ZUK about the Engine Ice and here is why. During the Bash, Zuk, and I was on a lil ride, and while at a red light we compared temp gauges, and his was half way, (engine ice), and mine was a lil over half, (stock coolant). So I put the Ice in mine and it helped. Then I put a toggle switch on the fan, so as soon as I get stoped in traffic, I flip on the switch and the fan comes on and the gauge never even gets to the half way mark even after an hour or so of stop and go.
So I would recomend the Ice if your changeing the coolant anyway.

Yeah VA, I would do what busa1300nut says: engine ice, muzzy fan and maybe the switch. NJ.:)

Back