Need some serious help

deuce71

Registered
Hey everyone, I am looking for information concerning importing an 03 Busa to CA. I am a military member formerly stationed in Japan. My Busa (Canadian model) was shipped with my house hold goods Sep 1. I have a letter from Suzuki stating it's a 49 state bike and meets US EPA standards, which can be imported into the US. However, the question is what do I have to do once it arrives Oct 29? I just got my CA state drivers license (including M/C) the other day and I attempted to ask the folks at DMV what the procedure was but they were a little vague. Something was mentioned about the number of miles on the bike and something about 7,500 miles being the magic number. Can anyone with more experience give me some help?

Thanks,

Deuce

You can't register a 49 state bike in Cali unless it is considered by Cali to be used, which is 7,500miles.  If the bike doesn't have that much mileage on it, you'll either need to put 7,500miles on it before telling the DMV that the bike has entered Cali or find a cool/dumb Cali inspector who'll overlook/not notice that you're bike is a 49 state bike.
I had a friend with the exact same problem when he/she moved from Florida.  Instead of taking a chance with an inspector he/she choose to not register it until he/she built up the mileage.  Then, when he/she reached 7,500miles, he/she told the DMV that his/her bike just entered Cali that week.  He/she had no problems, but if you get a ticket, then Cali knows the bike is in Cali and you may not have built up the mileage yet.  And if you tell Cali that your 49 state bike has less than 7,500miles they'll give you a one-time permit to drive it out of the state.
I've heard of people illegally advancing the odometer to 7,500+miles.

Basically, you cannot legally register a new(<7,500miles) 49 state bike in California.

Hope this helps,
wink.gif

<!--EDIT|Charlesbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1097367669 -->

Man Cali is definitely a complicated state. Is this all because of the strict air emissions standards?
rock.gif
Anyway, I was reading Charlesbusa's post and was wondering one thing. Is he/her one of these sexually CONFUSED people or is it one of each?
rock.gif
laugh.gif
tounge.gif
I couldn't help it man, but it just struck me as being a little funny when reading it because you never made reference to one or the other.

rock.gif

OK,

I had to get the bike, registered and titled in CA after shipping it from Japan.

Here's what I found out.

1. If you are a non-resident Military member then the 7,500 mile issue does not apply to you.

2. Make sure you have the manufacturers statement of compliance. States that the bike meets US EPA standards for 49 states. Even though it doesn't meet CA EPA standards, no one cares as long as it has 7,500 miles on it or you are a non-resident military member.

3. Be careful of the manufacturers statement of compliance (with regards to instrument cluster). I know the issue is different between the various mufacturers but the priciple is the same. Suzuki states in their letter that the instrument cluster HAS TO BE CONVERTED from KPH to MPH. Both the speedometer and odometer....What's interesting is that according to the DMV (I have the ID # of the agent I talked to) CA doesn't care about KPH or MPH. They go by what is in the letter...so if you can get the manufacturer to take out the need for you to convert your bike to MPH you can save yourself some money. Personally it cost $650.00 for a new US spec 03 cluster. No Suzuki will not change their letter "It's federally required statement."

Hope this sheds some light....

couldnt you just get some new guage faces and get by that way? there's a great deal in the products area of the site from RocketDoc if thats all it takes
cool.gif

Hey Deuce, if you need a new guage cluster, I have one with 95 miles on it for half price! You can email me if you are interested?

Back