Need opinions on families view on bikes??

jpw

Registered
Ok I want a bike, 600 kat to be exact. I want to buy one this summer, im enrolling the MSF course this wednesday.

I consider my self to be a resposable person, in driving i have never gotten a warning, so either im lucky or i dont speed very often.

I have been in one accident if you can call it that, I screwed up once with my truck ( that is forsale by the way). Lets just say wide tires, 2wd and glare ice dont mix.

I have work on a farm and operate 150,000 dollar farm equpiment.

Well just about everone in my family hates the idea of me getting a bike except for like two or three people.

My dads side thinks im gonna be just like my dad and flip every thing i get on cause that basically what he did, from the stories ive heard.

My moms side always look at the bike crashes around and think thats whats gonna happen to me.

I keep telling that i will always were my gear even in FL when i get their, because i perfer to wash off sweat than roadrash.

I'm sure i would speed on the bike ( who dosent speed on bike)once in a while but not all the time and only when theirs no cars around and hopefully police, also make sure i know the road.

I know bikes are dangerous, but if you always act like every car is gonna cut you off and dont ride out side your limits you should be alright.

I also llove the idea of going though twisties and being out in the open on a motorcylce.

I just dont want my family to hate me cause i bought a bike. I guess i would just like some other peoples opinions and maybe some info i could relate to them that i dont know about.

first of all how old are you? if you live at home parents have the last word dont rock the boat youll get one soon enough. you have all the right answers ( starting on a 600 and a kat is perfect by the way, taking msf course knowing the road , etc..)of course youll speed sometimes(this show your resonable with a head on your shoulders) i got my first ride living at home my dad didnt approve neither did mom until i took her on a few rides and she changed her thinking on bikes, im stubborn and prolly woulnt have cared how much they disapproved so take that for what its worth. follow tthrough with the msf course and start slow and you should be pretty safe. oh has your mom seem any farm equipment accidents? if its your time it will happen 2 wheels or not.

<!--EDIT|HP Junkie
Reason for Edit: None given...|1082945664 -->

im 18, but that to them dosent matter, my moms dosent want me getting a bike ever.

<!--EDIT|jpw
Reason for Edit: None given...|1082945600 -->

First of all tell you family that if they love you they'll pray for you
and STOP speaking negativity in your life. There was a recent
thread where a guy's father said "I bet you $10 you're going
down on that bike". Well after he went down and eventually
passed away, guess how much $$$ was in the wallet returned
to the father...you guessed it $10. Sorry for the rant, but
people/family really don't know how powerful their words are.
Regardless of what you decide respect the machine or it will make
you respect it by any means necessary. Good luck.

Regardless of what you decide respect the machine or it will make
you respect it by any means necessary.  Good luck.
Im going to buy bike a bike this summer along with the gear. but i think their more worried about me getting side swiped by the senior citizen thats dosent look where their going..

And yes i will always repect the machine... ant do anything outside my limits

Only family members that bug me bout riding are my grandmothers.
Buy the bike, be very careful.....and as the Dawg says....RESPECT

Well after nearly getting killed from non-male stop sign blower througher on my r1 about 3 weeks later my ma said hope your not getting another bike.
I said I probably wont.

Then she said make sure if you do, dont, buy one of those bikes called a GSX or GRX or something like that she read that 3 people were killed in separate incidents that month on those bikes. And yes one was a busa.

I didnt dare let her into my garage.

The other day she said , Why dont you buy a Harley they are slower and look more comfortable.

And I said yeh and they handle way better too.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

All of the family fears are real to them. You still work and live on the family farm, so the family has the last word. Just keep talking about it in a positive manner as long as the issue is open. If it is closed just wait let some time go past.

All of the family fears are real to them.  You still work and live on the family farm, so the family has the last word.  Just keep talking about it in a positive manner as long as the issue is open.  If it is closed just wait let some time go past.
Well i just work on my grandpas farm, dont live their

Also im gonna be going to school in FL soon so i will be on my own and wont have them look over my shoulder all the time

That bike is a perfect starter.

Do like you said and try to take them for a ride after you get your legs firmly under you.

what part of florida? and respect is the key to riding a bike dont hop on it thinkin u know what to do when to do it and how to do it takes time plus atleast you are starting off small with a katana easy bike to learn on but if i were u buy a used one cuz there are 2 types of riders those who have been down and those who will imo . learn how to manage the throttle before anything .......now go get a bike its almost summer drive safe and make sure you wear your helmet at all times !!!!!!!!

Just be very careful when riding in Flrida t s great but different. I can say that since I was born in WI. and live in New England and visit FL. everyear for riding.

what part of florida? and respect is the key to riding a bike dont hop on it thinkin u know what to do when to do it and how to do it takes time  plus atleast you are starting off small with a katana easy bike to learn on but if i were u buy a used one cuz there are 2 types of riders those who have been down and those who will  imo . learn how to manage the throttle before anything .......now go get a bike its almost summer drive safe and make sure you wear your helmet at all times !!!!!!!!
My School is located in Clearwater, FL so i will be staying their for 14months starting October....

I planned on buying a used one.   1 so im not pissed when i drop it... and 2 so i dont have to make payments on the bike and pay outrageous insurance....

Where in FL are you located??

<!--EDIT|Ninja Eater
Reason for Edit: None given...|1083089836 -->

My two cents - if you are living at home under your parents roof, it doesn’t matter if you are 30 years old. You need to respect their wishes.

If you are over 18 years old and you are living on your own and taking care of yourself. You need to do what you need to do.. respectfully.

If you are going to college and your parents are paying for just about everything (tuition, food, clothes.. etc. ) I think that is a real fine line. Need to be careful on what decision you make.

I guess the down and dirty. If you are over 18 and totally supporting yourself without ANY help from your family. Be respectful but do what you want and don’t worry much about what your family says. Family will often NEVER agree with what you want to do. Part of growing up and being a man is doing what you feel you have to do and doing what is right and doing it on your own. NOT doing what everyone else wants you to do.

If you are taking ANY kind of help or support from your family at all and you are not yet standing on your own two feet without help, then I think the respectful thing to do is seriously consider your family's wishes, and probably do as they wish in regards to not buying a motorcycle.

You will live long enough to get your motorcycle when the time is right. And if you don’t live long enough, guess it wont matter much.

Again, just my two cents. as a father.

Back