Need opinion on used bike purchase

TIBBS

Registered
I am a 1993 Kaw ZX-1100D1 owner who threw a rod two weeks ago.  The engine is f_cked and pooring $3000 into an old ride is not an option!!!

I want to know if this seems like a good buy to everyone:

For Sale : Suzuki GSX 2002 1300R Hayabusa. Bought new in 2003. Only 4,300 miles. Ltd edition, all black. Showrm. condition. 100% stock. Adult owned, dealer serviced, heated storage. $8,700 obro.
Nobleboro, ME

I think I can get him down to $8400 cash.  The bike is mint and looks well taken care of.

Is this a good buy!!

Tibbs

$8700 sounds a little on the high side to me, Tibbs! Check the classifieds here for others for sale and some threads of folks asking similar questions. I think if you can get him closer (much closer actually) to $8K it might not be a bad deal. I say that because people have been able to buy 2003s for less and 2004s for about $700 more.

Hi Tibbs,
I had a dealer talked down to $9400 OTD on a new 2003 'busa just a few days ago......I'm with Big........I think $8000 (or less) would be the one worth taking!!!

drink.gif

Living in Maine gives me very few options on a bike of this caliber. Most of the riders in this state are red-neck Harley owners and the motor cycle shops (very few worthy metric delears) and owners of sport bikes price their models accordingly (accordingly high). Nada and Kelly Blue Book book this model around $8200 with 10200 miles. I wish I lived in a state that offered more options and availability but, this is the best thing that has come this way in a while. I have been looking for more that a year for a good Busa. The owner has listed this bike for $9000 just 5 months prior.

Tibbs

I know Maine is way up there and probably not a big draw for sportbikes, but you may be able to find something someplace else with reasonable shipping. I still think that is just too much money to spend on an 2002. But what really matters is whether you would be happy with it or not!

I really appreciate your input. I have cash and maybe I can get him down to $8200. I sat on a 2004 model in a local dealership and couldn't wipe the sh_t-eating grin off my mouth. I am going up to deal this Sunday and am afraid the moment will overcome me. Give me strength!!! Like you said...happiness may overcome a couple hundred bucks!!

Tibbs

I agree with Scotty if ya got cash it talks. Try to find out why
the guy is selling. If it's financal difficulties (God forbid) you
can talk him way down with money in hand.

This may be an a#*hole way of doing it, but I would start around $7400 and if he is willing to negotiate see what you can get. I wouldn't go above $8k though.

Here is an example a reasonably priced bike. This may help you figure out your negotiating stategy.

Tibbs.
Thats a little high.............BUT,
If you are looking for "THAT" bike, whats a few hunderd $$$$?

Do what makes YOU happy.
Just remember, it's a little high and you will loose, to the "educated", if ya try to sell it.

If it's a keeper, go for it.

IF YOU REALLY LIKE THE BIKE AND THERE ARENT MANY CHOICES THEN BUY THE BIKE.. BTW I HAVE AN 02 I BOUGHT BACK IN OCT. 03 ON OWNER 3,000 MILES PD $7400 WOYLD NOT GO OVER $8000

Pretty hard to put a price on something that makes you happy. A couple of hundred bucks in the scheme of things would be worth it to me. I found an 02 for 8200, but then I found an 40th anniversary edition and bought it instead. If you're willing to travel, I'm sure you'll find the right Busa at the right price. The one you're looking at sounds pretty sweet. Just take your time and work with the guy and you'll probably come away with a good deal.

Tibbs if i can be any consolation and a testament to shopping around i bought my 2002 black and blue with 7800 miles on it. October of 03 and paid $7500. I had to drive 8 hours to pick her up. in upstate ny, but it was well worth it!!!

I am a 1993 Kaw ZX-1100D1 owner who threw a rod two weeks ago.  The engine is f_cked and pooring $3000 into an old ride is not an option!!!

I want to know if this seems like a good buy to everyone:

For Sale : Suzuki GSX 2002 1300R Hayabusa. Bought new in 2003. Only 4,300 miles. Ltd edition, all black. Showrm. condition. 100% stock. Adult owned, dealer serviced, heated storage. $8,700 obro.
Nobleboro, ME

I think I can get him down to $8400 cash.  The bike is mint and looks well taken care of.

Is this a good buy!!

Tibbs
tried to get him as close to your price range as possible and get it, you won't regret it. i just bought a 99 busa and had to pay for it but that year is hard to find and it's the year i want so i got it. "show room" condition is not possible w/ a used bike w/ 4k miles on it. good luck.

Thanks again everyone! I am going to bring a friend that has owned a GSX750R and a GSX1100R to help out. Let you know how it goes tomorrow (Sun.).
wink.gif

Bikes are like anything else in life, worth what ever any one is willing to pay. I have a much better selection to choose from here in CA. I would shop around to see whats available. But if thats the ONE don't let it slip away.

Back