need more ideas before tuning

card16969

Registered
Looking into getting the bike tuned via the ecu removing the restrictors etc and looking to see what other small cheap mods (ya know the DIY type mods or part swap outs etc)i can do to free up some power before tuning. I read something about swapping out one of the cams with another sock cam anybody have any info that could help on if its really benneficial or like dyno results or just experience.. where the power really is and pros cons? And any other ideas of low cost mods other than going big and going big bore, power adders (nitrous turbo) etc.
The bike is daily ridden so i am looking for reliability and low end power it only goes to the drag strip on rare ocasions so i want usable power while playing around more than top end power. I enjoy some twisties and my friends are trying to get me to grow a pair and start lifting the front tire. More or less looking for the real life usage mods and little tricks that all you guys use.... if it wasnt for you guys i wouldnt have know about the air box mod and changing out the stock stacks to longs for low end power so looking for more things like that.

So far i have...
D&D dual carbon full system
small air box mod
4 long stock velocity stacks (waiting for them to be delivered)
K&N filter
Pair removed
-1/+2 sprockets

Thanks guys i know tons of people on here bug everyone for help and hey how can i hit 200hp etc.. im just looking for realistic help before tuning so i dont make the mistake and have to have things retuned over and over. I like doing things once instead of banging my head against the wall because i have to do it again.

Looking into getting the bike tuned via the ecu removing the restrictors etc and looking to see what other small cheap mods (ya know the DIY type mods or part swap outs etc)i can do to free up some power before tuning. I read something about swapping out one of the cams with another sock cam anybody have any info that could help on if its really benneficial or like dyno results or just experience.. where the power really is and pros cons? And any other ideas of low cost mods other than going big and going big bore, power adders (nitrous turbo) etc.
The bike is daily ridden so i am looking for reliability and low end power it only goes to the drag strip on rare ocasions so i want usable power while playing around more than top end power. I enjoy some twisties and my friends are trying to get me to grow a pair and start lifting the front tire. More or less looking for the real life usage mods and little tricks that all you guys use.... if it wasnt for you guys i wouldnt have know about the air box mod and changing out the stock stacks to longs for low end power so looking for more things like that.

So far i have...
D&D dual carbon full system
small air box mod
4 long stock velocity stacks (waiting for them to be delivered)
K&N filter
Pair removed
-1/+2 sprockets

Thanks guys i know tons of people on here bug everyone for help and hey how can i hit 200hp etc.. im just looking for realistic help before tuning so i dont make the mistake and have to have things retuned over and over. I like doing things once instead of banging my head against the wall because i have to do it again.

NO....I can't help you, Not enough XP yet:banghead::laugh:

But goodluck with your build, I hope everything comes out the way you want it !!!!!!:thumbsup:

With out a big bore kit, and cams, the is no way a stock bore gen 1 will hit 200 hp!

With out a big bore kit, and cams, the is no way a stock bore gen 1 will hit 200 hp!

I was saying im not some schmuck trying to get to 200 without doing big bore etc lol, just trying to do all the little things before tuning and doing it right

I was saying im not some schmuck trying to get to 200 without doing big bore etc lol, just trying to do all the little things before tuning and doing it right
Wasn't calling you any names, just expressing a fact!

Do you have the two short velocity stacks and would you be interested in selling them?

Wasn't calling you any names, just expressing a fact!

calm down gixxer, i wasnt saying that you were i was saying that im not being one of the schmucks asking how to do it... im calling them that lol. If i want 200 hp im going to really get into the motor and do it right. for now im just looking for the right things to do now while im doing this level of work before the tune.

Do you have the two short velocity stacks and would you be interested in selling them?

when this air box gets here ill figure out if im going to keep the 4 shorts just in case i dont like the longs, just better safe than sorry. If i decide to get rid of them i will let you know.

when this air box gets here ill figure out if im going to keep the 4 shorts just in case i dont like the longs, just better safe than sorry. If i decide to get rid of them i will let you know.

Thanks

You can seal up the ram air tubes, wrap the airbox with a heat shielding material, remove the filter when at the track. Get a non-oring chain, ceramic wheel bearings, R1 wheels.

You can seal up the ram air tubes, wrap the airbox with a heat shielding material, remove the filter when at the track. Get a non-oring chain, ceramic wheel bearings, R1 wheels.

how do you seal the tubes and what type of heat shielding material are people using on the air box also what year r1 rims match up to ours? ... Thanks these are new things i hadnt heard of, i cant afford the ceramic bearings right now but those are on to do list thanks man i appreciate the ideas

The ram air can be sealed in a couple different ways. The cheapest being duct tape, but if you can afford it they sell a kit for about $90. If not you could get a motorcycle inner tube and cut two pieces about 5 to 6" wide enough so you can slide over the two pieces to seal them, but before you slide the rubber over the two halts you need to cut the lip off the side with the foam and use goo gone or something to remove the foam, then slip about two to three inches of the inner tube over one Side of the ram air tube then roll the rest back on the Same tube that way when the two pieces are butting each other you roll the tube down over the second half. As for the material uses to wrap the air box, just go to an auto parts store and ask for some heat shielding material preferably stick on type an just wrap the box carefully to cover the entire box. The r1 wheels are I believe are the 5 spoke design but not sure on the year. Hope this helps!

Back