stock filter and air box mod?

card16969

Registered
alright its winter and ALOT is going on with the bike including paint hid's powder coating fork seals etc and now im playing with performance. I have a D&D carbon fibre full dual system, im going to do the airbox mod, power commander V and one down two up on the sprockets. I read a while ago that people were having alot of success on running a stock filter on the air box mod and keeping alot of the low end torque... is there any truth to this? also what other cheap performance mods are there that i can do since i kind have already exceeded my budget for this winter?

Yeah, the ecu editor instead of a power commander. It's cheaper and does basically everything.
You can click and turn off the 1st through 4th gear restrictions and the top speed limiter. With the gear restrictions gone the bike is Alot stronger in 1st and 2nd too!

the problem with running the ecu editor is the guy who does my tuning doesnt use it at all and theres no other tuners around that do and im not driving 3 hours to go to a tuner and paying big bucks to tune it and i will never self map something without verifying the running condition on a dyno so with a PCV i can use the map for the d&d and have it tuned by my buddy

the problem with running the ecu editor is the guy who does my tuning doesnt use it at all and theres no other tuners around that do and im not driving 3 hours to go to a tuner and paying big bucks to tune it and i will never self map something without verifying the running condition on a dyno so with a PCV i can use the map for the d&d and have it tuned by my buddy

You can use the ecu editor at the same time as a pc. The ecu editor doesn't stay on the bike, and you can change whatever you like in the ecu with it, and still have the fuel mapped/dyno'd with a pc.:thumbsup:

i understand that it doesnt stay on the bike but theres no premade maps to run with my exhaust etc and my tuner doesnt use the software and no tuners around here use it so basically i would be removing the restrictions and thats it i wouldnt be compensating for the fuel differences that need to be adjusted

i understand that it doesnt stay on the bike but theres no premade maps to run with my exhaust etc and my tuner doesnt use the software and no tuners around here use it so basically i would be removing the restrictions and thats it i wouldnt be compensating for the fuel differences that need to be adjusted

Right, but you asked for any other performance mods.
The difference in 1st and 2nd alone without the restrictions is worth it just for that.
It is VERY noticeable, mine will now literally loop you in the road under throttle only in 1st and 2nd if you let it.

Right, but you asked for any other performance mods.
The difference in 1st and 2nd alone without the restrictions is worth it just for that.
It is VERY noticeable, mine will now literally loop you in the road under throttle only in 1st and 2nd if you let it.

yes but considering ive already got a full exhaust system and am doing an air filter and airbox mod i need to compensate for the air differences more than just take off the restrictions... more air in more air out means a compensation in fuel is needed

yes but considering ive already got a full exhaust system and am doing an air filter and airbox mod i need to compensate for the air differences more than just take off the restrictions... more air in more air out means a compensation in fuel is needed

:banghead:I mean have it dyno tuned with the power commander then, and turn off the restrictions with the ecu editor.
You asked for other performance mods, this is well worth doing.

Unless you use a race filter the Oem flows the best!

ahh ok i just keep getting ppl trying to yell at me and call me an idiot for using a pcv and not tuning with ecu editor sorry

ahh ok i just keep getting ppl trying to yell at me and call me an idiot for using a pcv and not tuning with ecu editor sorry

According to a couple very reputable tuners on this board, they can tune a bike just as well with either.
The benefits of the ecu editor are that it has so many other useful functions, and it's still alot cheaper than a power commander that can only map fuel, ignition, and one set of injectors.
Some tuners just haven't played with the ecu editor enough, or don't want to try something unfamiliar.
I understand that not everyone has access to an ecu editor tuner, as the closest to me is 3 1/2 hours away.
You can use the ecu editor to turn off your pair valve, turn your fans on sooner, remove top speed and gear limiters, adjust secondaries on gen2's, and on and on. It basically gives you control of the all the ecu's settings, and you can always flash a stock map back at any time.
There is a $10 2 wire harness that plugs into 2 empty ports in one of the ecu plugs, and they connect to two empty ports in the black yosh plug, which is what you plug the interface cable into(it's only plugged in during the flash). The other end of the cable goes to your computer or laptop.
The 2 wire harness is almost invisible and takes up no space, and it's all that stays on the bike.
I have the ecu editor and I've removed the gear restrictions from my gen2 and 3 of my friends gen2's. One is a member here.
We can all tell you that the difference in power in 1st through 4th is alot, and especially 1st and 2nd.
If the ecu editor did nothing more than that I'de be happy with it. The restrictions are there to make the bike a little more tame for the average rider. As I said before, hard throttle in 1st or 2nd will loop you into road if you let it.
I'm not arguing or yelling either, just passing along what great thing it is, and that it's worth checking out.
It's the next thing to do after what you've already done to gain more power(it works great on a stock bike too), especially since it can handle ANY future modifications you make to the bike in the future.:beerchug:

According to a couple very reputable tuners on this board, they can tune a bike just as well with either.
The benefits of the ecu editor are that it has so many other useful functions, and it's still alot cheaper than a power commander that can only map fuel, ignition, and one set of injectors.
Some tuners just haven't played with the ecu editor enough, or don't want to try something unfamiliar.
I understand that not everyone has access to an ecu editor tuner, as the closest to me is 3 1/2 hours away.
You can use the ecu editor to turn off your pair valve, turn your fans on sooner, remove top speed and gear limiters, adjust secondaries on gen2's, and on and on. It basically gives you control of the all the ecu's settings, and you can always flash a stock map back at any time.
There is a $10 2 wire harness that plugs into 2 empty ports in one of the ecu plugs, and they connect to two empty ports in the black yosh plug, which is what you plug the interface cable into(it's only plugged in during the flash). The other end of the cable goes to your computer or laptop.
The 2 wire harness is almost invisible and takes up no space, and it's all that stays on the bike.
I have the ecu editor and I've removed the gear restrictions from my gen2 and 3 of my friends gen2's. One is a member here.
We can all tell you that the difference in power in 1st through 4th is alot, and especially 1st and 2nd.
If the ecu editor did nothing more than that I'de be happy with it. The restrictions are there to make the bike a little more tame for the average rider. As I said before, hard throttle in 1st or 2nd will loop you into road if you let it.
I'm not arguing or yelling either, just passing along what great thing it is, and that it's worth checking out.
It's the next thing to do after what you've already done to gain more power(it works great on a stock bike too), especially since it can handle ANY future modifications you make to the bike in the future.:beerchug:

See now thats what i wanted to hear, everyone kept harping on me that i was an idiot for thinking about using a power commander when theres ecu editor lol. Also where can i find this $10 harness i would happily buy that since the only one ive been pointed to is $100, so that would make me do this without a question asked. And my tuner is one of my best friends and has been for years and mainly does harleys but he rides both harleys and sport bikes so its not that hes not interested in it its that he lacks the time to play around and learn something new since hes so busy. Since i dont pay for dyno time other than a case of beer and help him tune other bikes its hard to ask him to set time aside to learn something new. But if i can get him to like it he would put it on his 07 gsxr 1000 which with a power commander he put down 199 on his dyno which i know to run about 10hp high. When i got pointed to ecu editor the last time it costed over $100 worth of stuff to get to use it so thats why i was so pushed off by the fact that it was $100 worth of extra gear and i was called a moron for not going to a different tuner to get it turned. Thanks for the help you opened my eyes a bit.

The ecu editor itself is still $180 for a gen1, and $200 for the gen2/late model gsxr's(does both).
The $10 harness comes with it, or $10 each for extras for other bikes.
The $10 harness that stays on the bike is what makes the connection between the bike's ecu and the ecu editor itself.
Once the harness is on the bike you can plug the ecu editor into the bike at any time to make adjustments.
I'm sorry for any confusion.
A bench flasher is also available, it plugs into a home power outlet.
That way you can plug the ecu editor into the wall, the computer, and you only need the bike's ecu in hand(so no $10 harness on the bike). You can flash the ecu without the bike.
Some people offer this service, so you could mail your ecu out and get the restrictions turned off, assuming you don't want to buy the ecu editor itself.
However it may be beneficial to you and your friend if you buy the ecu editor, as the $10 harness is all each bike needs(apparently you can repin the ecu connections on the bike and eliminate that harness, but for $10 it's worth the simplicity).
The ecu editor is very user friendly, for someone that dyno tunes bikes already I don't see it as being hard to learn.
He could potentially become another tuning location for it, and be benficial to many people, as well as his business.
There's nothing wrong with a power commander either, the ecu editor is simply just the evolution of technology.:beerchug:

boostbysmith.com - Home

yeah i know how to run a dyno as i went to Motorcycle Mechanics Institute and spent alot of time running dynos and just have to see if he has time to learn or spend teh time on the dyno with me so i can learn to tune it

Back