Need help!

05BusaBlue

Registered
I decieded to move the bike inside the bouse for the winter, so I have more room to work on it and it will be warmer.  Well I got my new undertail, and I am try to remove the rear faring to cut the plastic and put it on.  So every bolt came out fine except one.  I have no idea what this bolt is called but I have it in the pics below.  When I was trying to loosen it, I could tell it was starting to strip out the head.  So I tried WD-40 on the inside and left it for the night so hopefully it could loosen it up a little so I could get it off.  No luck with that.  So  I pulled out the vise grips, and it still doesn't move.  

Since I have already messed this bolt up I went to get a new one from Suzuki.  They go for $20.25 and takes 5 days to get up here.  So anyone have an extra bolt they want to sell or any ideas how to get it off?  

Please some help me out.  

inthehouse.jpg

takingapart1.jpg

takingapart2.jpg

takingapart3.jpg

I have two from taking mine off but I might have to search for them.  You can go to your local hardware store and find some nice button head bolts.  I like the look better and some have them in chrome too.  I have chrome ones and I think they look 100% better, only $1.99 a bolt too.

P1010014.jpg

P1010010.jpg

A pipe wrench would likely get it off.

--Wag--

WOW, that a pain. Never seen one stuck. Take mine out all the time to run saddle bags never had a problem. becareful with those Vise Grips. You may gouge the plastic when she breaks free.

Frankenstein bolt is what I have heard them called. Not sure if that is just slang though.

Looks like you will just have to get a good enough grip on it with some visegrips.

Those button head bolts look pretty sharp, Youkai
smile.gif

Judging from the looks of the bolt in the last pic, you just need to take a tighter bite on it with the vise grips. As mentioned, be careful and good luck! I love that first pic, BTW. A nice, warm cozy Busa
smile.gif

redo5 is right just get a good grip with some vise grips, it will turn loose.

If all else fails, take a dremel and cut two grooves in the bolt to get a flathead screwdriver to the bolt.  Just make sure not to slip in fact place a towel between the plastic just in case.

(Youkai @ Oct. 05 2006,16:43) I have two from taking mine off but I might have to search for them. You can go to your local hardware store and find some nice button head bolts. I like the look better and some have them in chrome too. I have chrome ones and I think they look 100% better, only $1.99 a bolt too.

P1010014.jpg

P1010010.jpg
What size are those button head bolts? (all dimensions) I took my frankenstein bolts out and it doesnt look bad but i would like to put something in their place

Thanks

i have the left bolt you can have if you need it. just get a good grip with something and twist the poo out of it. It will come off.

I have been working it with the vise grips now for over an hour. Still not even a little bit of movement. So i called my pops back home and he suggested to drill a tiny hole through the bolt and weaken it then try and move it so thats what I am doing now.

Thanks Youkai, after i get this bolt out I am just going to go to the sotre and get some nice head bolts in its place.

No problem, the bolts are metric but the exact size I think are M6x1.5. Just make sure to take the frankenstein bolt to the hardware store and match up the thread length with a button head and only look at metric bolts. Also, get a washer the size of the frankenstein head to make sure everything is alright.

might be able to take a hammer and tap around on the end of the bolt to loosen the threads and whatever locktite might be on it

(Youkai @ Oct. 05 2006,18:26) No problem, the bolts are metric but the exact size I think are M6x1.5. Just make sure to take the frankenstein bolt to the hardware store and match up the thread length with a button head and only look at metric bolts. Also, get a washer the size of the frankenstein head to make sure everything is alright.
Thanks for the bolt size, first thing i buy tomorrow!!

Alot of people have problems with those . I can't believe that they are $20 ! Thats way too much .

Back