Guys, I NEED heLP!!!!

BUSA_CHeMiST

Donating Member
Registered
Ok, so the other day I serviced my forks, new seals, washer and oil.

heres my problem...
On my LEFT fork, i loosened the Damper Cartridge Bolt on the bottom of the fork (10mm allen bolt). We determined AFTER i did it, that it was not totally necessary, since we didnt plan to take the damper cartridge out.

My problem is, I couldnt get it back tight, and now it is leaking oil. I have tried to loosen it more and remove the for damper cartridge, but it wont come out. I have tried EVERYTHING i can think of to loosen it OR tighten it and i'm getting NO WHERE. its like the damper cartridge is just free spinning in the lower fork tube and not doing anything.

Yes, i did read CAT3's writeup on the fork service, and did what he did trying to remove the damper cartridge bolt and cartridge but im getting no where.

HELP!!! Any suggestions on how to get this thing out of the tube or get it to grab so it can tighten back up? Now that it is so loose and leaking, im sure I will have to get a new copper washer for it, but i can't even get the bolt out to get to the copper washer!!

HELP PLEASE!!! im up all night til i get this figured out

Chemist...

bump.gif

I have an impact GIXER, will that do it? When I have the 10mm allen socket in there on the bolt and turn, all it does in spin the cartridge inside. Even when I put a vice grip of something on the damper cartridge rod and try it, the cartridge bolt still just turns and turns and turns....

GIXERHP, You are officially THE MAN!!!!

Put the impact on it, added pressure at an angle on the cartridge and the bolt came right out! Thanks man, i owe u HUGE!!!

Now off to take the steering head out! I'm too excited to sleep now!
beerchug.gif
thumb_up.gif
thumb_up.gif

thumb_up.gif

You are a better man that I. I would have done broken something out of frustration. Glad you got it fixed!

Put the impact on it, added pressure at an angle on the cartridge and the bolt came right out!  Thanks man, i owe u HUGE!!!

Now off to take the steering head out!  I'm too excited to sleep now!  
beerchug.gif

thumb_up.gif

thumb_up.gif
Not a problem,
hello.gif

Holding the dampning rod at an agle is the only way to get them out!

thumb_up.gif

Put the impact on it, added pressure at an angle on the cartridge and the bolt came right out!  Thanks man, i owe u HUGE!!!

Now off to take the steering head out!  I'm too excited to sleep now!  
beerchug.gif

thumb_up.gif

thumb_up.gif
Not a problem,  
hello.gif

Holding the dampning rod at an agle is the only way to get them out!
Being a member on any other website.... just your 2cents. Being a member on the Org. with great members ...PRICELESS..
bowdown.gif
bowdown.gif

thumb_up.gif

bowdown.gif

If I failed to mention the angle part of holding the cartridge I apologize. The correct way is to use a $70 cartridge wrench....I prefer the cheap route. Glad to hear you have it fixed, would have answered this had I not been at work
sad.gif

Its ok CAT3, everything worked out very nicely once I got the cartridge out. Best part about it, cartridge bolt and cartridge went back in very smoothe!! Fork completely reassembled in NO TIME FLAT! (had the girlfriend as my second pair of hands while using the spring compression tool, shes a trooper!)

Thanks again guys!
beerchug.gif

Back