Need help with rust removal from gas tank

Shilpan

Registered
I bought the entire Body kit along with gastank from ebay after i got into an accident. Paid well over $1600 for it just to find out that the gas tank has rust in it. Now the seller wouldnt reply to my mails either. Any suggestion on how to remove rust from gas tank???

BTW accident wasnt that bad but just decided to change the entire body all around. It was a hit and run, i slowed down for a stop signe and this guy knocked me off and took off. no one saw the tag. here is the link to the video of my Busa after accident.

http://video.google.com/videopl....shilpan

I am not sure, but I would think Eastwoods would have something to stop the rust.  May need to do a good cleaning several times.

Sorry not much help.

Don't know if this helps.

rusty link

Someone else more knowledgeable will hopefully chime in.

1. Go to this link

Eastwood Link o tron

2. Get the cycle kit - about 35 bucks.
3. Get some muriatic acid and some acetone.
4.Follow directions to the letter.
5. No worries - I've had good luck with their car gas tank kits. Be careful , the fumes from that stuff are unreal..........

Bro, just go to a pool supply shop or a boutique/old fashioned hardware store and buy a gallon of "OSPHO" or try "ZEP". Ospho is phosphoric acid, and ZEP is similar. Once you pour it in and slosh it around it will leave a nice stabilized grey finish inside as it converts everything and leaves a layer of zinc phosphate. Then all you do is follow through with the tank prep that you can get from any motorcycle shop.

(Projekt @ Oct. 19 2006,08:54) Bro, just go to a pool supply shop or a boutique/old fashioned hardware store and buy a gallon of "OSPHO" or try "ZEP". Ospho is phosphoric acid, and ZEP is similar.  Once you pour it in and slosh it around it will leave a nice stabilized grey finish inside as it converts everything and leaves a layer of zinc phosphate. Then all you do is follow through with the tank prep that you can get from any motorcycle shop.
How long do you want me to leave that liquid in and what do you mean by "Then all you do is follow through with the tank prep that you can get from any motorcycle shop". I appreciate your help.

Head over to the POR-15 website...

POR-15

This is pretty much all you're gonna need. Follow the instructions to a "T" and you'll be alright.

I've used this same kit on my tank and thus far no problems. Hopefully the rust isn't too bad. The rust in mine was pretty bad...but the kit saved the day.

Try it out an lemme know.
wink.gif

My buddy and I had to do that with a 72 ducati. We bought a can of metal BB's and a thing of STP gas treatment. Put the BB's in the tank and just start swirling and shaking around. It will nock the rust right off. If it is real bad rust start with a long bicycle chain with fishingline tied to one end that you hold on to and swirl and shake that around before the BB's. Once you think you got it all out put 1/4 gas treatment in the tank shake and pour out and repeat until you got all the rust out. If you want start from the begining after that until your happy. Worked like a charm for us. If you try it let me know how it works for ya. Hope this helped.

Thanks guys, POR - 15 worked out fine. I actually bought the entire kit off ebay and now my tank is rust free for 15 years.
smile.gif

i have never cleaned out a cycle tank but this works very well on cars and trucks...

1) remove tank
2) pour several handfuls of CLEAN pea gravel into tank
3) jack up the rear end of your tractor
4) tie the tank to the outside of the rim of the rear drive tire (make sure there is enough clearance for everything to spin without contacting anything)
5) start tractor and put in gear
6) allow wheel and tank to spin for 45 minutes to an hour
7) remove tank and flush with gasoline
8) let tank dry and then seal it with your choice of protective coating

the inside of the tank will be clean and you don't have to stand there and shake it by hand forever (those things get heavy)

bike has been running for 5 months now and haven't found any thing in the fuel filter yet.

Oh, that's not me, it's my riding buddy.
AAAssjani.gif

bbb_008.jpg

Back