Need help finding a good shop in Boise, ID

FloydV

Donating Member
Registered
Can someone recommend a good private shop in Boise, Idaho? I'm new here, and I hate having to go to a dealership.

I need someone to check out the rear wheel/axle assembly. The stealership in Idaho Falls left the cotter pin out when they put on a new chain and the rear nut became loose. Lately, after proper torquing and aligning, the rear wheel doesn't have a smooth free spin to it when on a stand.

It used to turn in neutral with the engine running from the oil on the clutch, but now it needs a push to spin and doesn't feel free like it used to. I need someone I can trust to look at that.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Floyd

Check out UtahSBA.com There are quite a few Idaho guys there that may be able to help you out.

I live in Boise. Are you trying to say the shop in IF improperly adjusted your chain and made it too tight?

They may have got the chain on right, but they failed to replace the cotter pin in the rear axle nut when they did it. Over a period of time the nut had become loose enough to move by hand.

I had to get a new cotter pin and install it after torquing the nut back to spec. It was probably six months before I noticed the loose nut and cotter pin. I'm just wondering if things were damaged during that time.

It rides all right, but when putting it up on stands for the winter, I noticed that the rear wheel seems harder to turn than it has been for years. Previously, when it was on stands and I ran the bike in neutral once a week, the rear wheel would turn freely on its own from the contact between the plates and oil. This year, it doesn't turn on its own at all and I can feel friction when I turn it with my hand. I'm wondering if something was damaged when the axle nut was so loose.

That and I need a good shop for general work.

Floyd

Last month, my wife and I bought a house in Boise area (Meridian) and saw a local dealer on Fairview:
Snake River Yamaha; 2957 E. Fairview Ave. Meridian ID 83642; Phone: 208-888-6565 (next to Cycle Gear)
They partner with Boise Valley Riders - "A free local motorcycle riding club with 350 plus registered riders."
I assume they also work on Suzuki - 6 used bikes (including a Hayabusa) are on their web site.

I'll check out both when I return in late May/June. Looking forward to riding up around Idaho City.
If you find a good shop, let me know.

I'm actually in Meridian and I will drop by Snake River Yamaha. May/June seems about right to take the bike off the stands and ride. I'll PM you a phone number and maybe we could meet and discuss places to ride.

Look forward to it.

In the meantime, you mmight enjoy Corkscrews -- it is a friendly little place, with great wines and beers.

Back