Need Feedback. Possible tire issue

schwagoo

Registered
I got in my new Avon Storm Ultra 2 rear tire last week. Before my dad and I installed it, we inspected the inside and found this strange 'hump'.

The hump is on the inside of the tire corresponding to where one of the 'seams' is on the outside. The hump has the thickness of a dime or penny, and there is only one. Where there are the other seams on the outside, only one spot has a hump on the inside.

Pics are included, but you can't really tell from it.

I called Avon tech and the guy said that is didn't sound RIGHT, and there shouldn't be any humps. He said to call the shop I got it from and they will replace it.

I called Comp Accessories and they shipped out a replacement tire straight to my dad's house where we are going to swap it.

Dad just called and said the new tire is even worse than the first, with three humps on the inside.

Question for the forum: Have you guys ever seen this before with a tire, and should I quit worrying about it, mount it, balance it, and ride???

any feedback you can give would be great. THANKS.
Brian

tire1.JPG

tire2.JPG

Just call me crazy, but I have never inspected the inside of a new tire before installing it. All I've been running since the factory rubber is Avon :banghead:

Perhaps Comp Accessories has a batch of old or defective Avons?
:dunno:

I'd say go with something different altogether instead of another Avon and see, but that's JMO.

Good luck.

Me too. Install it. Balance it. Done.

Brother, get the flame thrower out, never balance my tires. Had the rear swapped at the Bash by Wheelers and before I could say don't do that the tire changer popped the factory wheel weight off putting the second replacement tire on. Rode the mountains nicely all week and came home to a six car pass ( I don't like running 40 in a 55 ) and had an oh do do moment around 125. But I'm thinking I may have accidentally over inflated the front ( 60 psi :banghead: ) I 've noticed that when I slow to stop I get a noticeable wobble up front. So I'm thinking I fugged the front tire up .

If all the tires were made the same week I might be suspicious, so check the code for date of manufacture. With that said, I doubt you have an issue with your tires. I work in process automation and I have made many tires with Bridgestone and if a problem is found they would never ship the tire. Avon makes a top tier product as well, so again I doubt you have a problem.

I run the Avon Ultra's. I guess the are like girl friends, I don't worry about lumps on the inside. As long as they don't have more than two lumps on the outside. :laugh:

Lol. Disturbing but but funny analogy.

the first tire was made the 28th week of 2010 . The new one the 2nd week of 2011 .

I figure they must be closely inspected before being shipped out from the factory. With the liability involved in a tire rated for 150+mph, the quality assurance must extreme for any potential safety issues.

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm gonna go ahead and mount the 'less humpy' tire tomorrow.

I run the Avon Ultra's. I guess the are like girl friends, I don't worry about lumps on the inside. As long as they don't have more than two lumps on the outside. :laugh:

From the pix it looks minor. Fit it & balance it - if it requires more than 100 grams then reconsider using it.

Back