need answers...

fergfab

Registered
I am building sandrails in az using hayabusa engines. I am looking for used, rebuilt, or new motors. As well as trying to find suppliers for turbo and supercharger componets. What is the power limitation of a unmodified engine? Boost capacity? The capability of the engine when modified? Are intercoolers common in boost applications? What additional sensors are needed if any? Does the stock ecu need modification? Are there piggyback units available? Which systems seem to work best and be the most user friendly?
Are aftermarket systems like a haltech 6af or electromotive used commonly on the bigger power engines? How strong is the stock clutch? How many lock up clutch suppliers are there? Who are the tuning and engine wizzards in the Hayabusa world? Who are the best aftermarket parts manufacturers for these engines? Where can I buy parts? Engines? Any help and referals would be most appreciated. I have a car in the shop making 294 hp at the rear tires. It is a unmodified engine running 13 pounds of boost, non intercooled,with a two stage fuel pressure regualtor, aftermarket head gasket and am very impressed. No cooling problems and only minor modifications to the crankcase breather to prevent blowby. Looking to see what else is possible, what the longevity of the engine becomes as the power increases. What componets I will need to manufacture for my cars and what componets I can purchase? I will be posting pictures of the cars soon at www.fergfab.com. Thanks again for any assistance. Mike Ferguson

the hayabusa engine is probably one of the best engine for boost. They can handle about 300hp in stock shape. We also build alot of custom turbosystems for sand rails. Here is one we are working on now.

sandbugturbo1.JPG

I wish we could have had picked up some numbers on the dyno. The tires were shredding when we created boost over a couple pounds. We had a set up on it like the 300 rwhp street kits, I figured it was making about 270. It was so silly to drive on the street. It was like driving a big block pick up truck on ice. We didn't get it to the sand, it will be quite a bit different with the paddles!

Back