MTC Turbo pistons

megawatt

Registered
MTC has a turbo piston and list the c/r at 10.5 to 1 MTC-RH1300T.

If the stock gen 1 cr is 11:1 and can safely handle a boost of 8. By lowering the cr by half a point how much would that change the boost you can put to an engine if while your in the engine you changed to aftermarket studs & nuts?

Would a builder use these pistons in a 10# of boost engine package to improve the off boost engine response as compare to the lower cr of 8.5 or 9:1 turbo pistons?

I have often read about low cr turbo pistons being sluggish in off boost performance but they allow you to run higher boost levels to make up the power once your in boost. Curious what would be the ideal application for these high cr turbo pistons?

MTC has a turbo piston and list the c/r at 10.5 to 1 MTC-RH1300T.

If the stock gen 1 cr is 11:1 and can safely handle a boost of 8. By lowering the cr by half a point how much would that change the boost you can put to an engine if while your in the engine you changed to aftermarket studs & nuts?

Would a builder use these pistons in a 10# of boost engine package to improve the off boost engine response as compare to the lower cr of 8.5 or 9:1 turbo pistons?

I have often read about low cr turbo pistons being sluggish in off boost performance but they allow you to run higher boost levels to make up the power once your in boost. Curious what would be the ideal application for these high cr turbo pistons?
I think the builder would more than likely adjust compression by the base gasket....but I'm not a builder and maybe I'm wrong. We know stock pistons are much higher compression than any turbo piston and have handled 450HP or 25lb boost on many applications. I see no reason why one would use aftermarket pistons unless breaching the 400HP or higher level. All low compression motors make less power off boost then of course the power comes in when the higher boost is ran. If you are interested in having better off boost performance I would either bump up my comression which would lower the amount of boost you can run on pump fuel...or just run a 08 crank and 83-84 mm pistons which would be either a 1397 or 1441. Those bores do fine on a turbo as long as you aren't trying to make 30lb boost. A 8-10lb streetbike would pick up a good amount of off boost power and the HP per lb of boost would be higher given that your motor displacement is 8-10% larger

Last edited:
the MTC pistons are machined out of their high compression 13:1 pistons to get the low comp pistons

Is there any issue with piston dome and the valves vs a spacer gasket / plate?

Can you believe that there are no clearance issues or should you check with clay...when putting in a new set of pistons?

Are the pistons pressed on / floating, c / e clip?

the MTC pistons are machined out of their high compression 13:1 pistons to get the low comp pistons

OK, but what is the ideal use for these high c/r "turbo" pistons when the 8.5 or 9 to 1 is use by other turbo piston manufactures? Just curious as to what performance area these pistons fill?

yea, why would you want 10.5:1 pistons for a turbo application? that doesn't make any sense.

megawatt, are you pulling your motor apart or just looking for info?

Motor is still running great. Major work outage approaching = $$$$:cheerleader:
so I will be putting upgrade funds away for a future engine upgrade. Looking for info at the moment.

I just though it was strange to see an almost stock cr piston labeled as "turbo" pistons. Wondering what kind of setup would use them.

thats just what MTC offers due to the fact that it is cut from a higher compression piston
I'd much rather run the 9:1 pistons from woessner then to get the higher 10.5:1 from MTC
but thats my choice as a builder

MTC doesnt make a true turbo piston. they tapped into the market by machineing their high compression pistons down. The compression wont be that high once you use a spacer.

problem with a spacer on those is the piston quench isnt going to be as good as the true turbo pistons the require the spacer do to the crown height

Back