need an opinion from fellow members

jch364

Registered
I was considering buying a 2018 Yamaha Venture this year. I found a couple at State8 and was tossing the idea around. Prices arent terrible and the miles are low. But here is my conundrum. lol. Had to find a way to work that word in..... Anyway. So they quit making that model in 2021 or 22. guess it didnt sell well. I love the looks and size of the bike. Anyway. with that model no longer being produced I am concerned that there will be a problem getting parts if i need it in the future. Wondering what you guys think on that subject. I gotta imagine more than a few members have dealt with this on bikes in the past. Dont know that much about this end of things. Figure someone here knows a lot of inside info on the subject.

960 pound air cooled motorsikkle? :rolleyes: Suzuki dealers don’t even carry parts for the Gen. 1 Busa so there could be an issue with your intended. Five years I’ve heard is the cutoff for manufacturing parts but some dealers would still have some in stock. I’ve dealt with this issue for years riding CBXs made from 79-82 and have had to pay more than I should’ve just because they’re rare as hens teeth. Good luck.

I was considering buying a 2018 Yamaha Venture this year. I found a couple at State8 and was tossing the idea around. Prices arent terrible and the miles are low. But here is my conundrum. lol. Had to find a way to work that word in..... Anyway. So they quit making that model in 2021 or 22. guess it didnt sell well. I love the looks and size of the bike. Anyway. with that model no longer being produced I am concerned that there will be a problem getting parts if i need it in the future. Wondering what you guys think on that subject. I gotta imagine more than a few members have dealt with this on bikes in the past. Dont know that much about this end of things. Figure someone here knows a lot of inside info on the subject.

A dealer near me has an older low mileage model for under 8K. Under 15,000 miles on it.

IMG_0309.png

I wonder how many engine, transmission, and electronic parts that they share with other models?
That the model specific parts may be more cosmetic or structural, so that if something maintenance wise went wrong, you should be able to get parts for a long time?
You could compare other Star models on Partzilla or Motosport, and see if and what parts may be used on other models, at least that's where I would start.

Other than the regular maintenance items, I can't see what else you would need barring a tip over or something...

I've heard these bikes are pretty reliable and don't generally need a lot to run them....

+1
I think the aftermarket has most bikes pretty well covered right now, at least in terms of say wheel bearings, u-joints, air filters, engine gaskets, fork seals and shock repair, etc.
As you said, other than a tip-over, where you may end up in need of cosmetic parts.

I looked at the RSV in V-4 format. I happen to be a fan of the V-4. They stopped the V-4 to go to the V-Twin you're looking at.

I came close to buying one. Still sort of keep an eye out in case a killer deal pops up.

What I liked.
1. Nice riding position. Forward controls. Cushy seat (that was year specific).
2. Good price point for what you get
3. Easy to work on. You can easily get to pretty much everything without taking apart half the bike.
4. Reliability of the metric makes.
5. You can pop start it if you wake up with a dead battery one day.

What I didn't like.
1. Not a lot of aftermarket due to overall low sales.
2. The V-4 was carbed. The V-Twins are injected.
3. It needs to be easy to work on due to above carbs. And they had some starter issues. Changing one in a parking lot doesn't ruin your weekend.
4. You can't get parts as easily as you'd like to.
5. It's naked. And has a lot of chrome. Looks great. But time devotion on upkeep.

In V-4 form it was directly competing in the GoldWing space. It has all a Wing did fully optioned up. While it didn't have the power of the 1800, it actually gave it a run for its money for comfort, range and performance. The V-4 was thrilled to run at 4K RPM.

The V-Twin is trying to live in the Harley space. Never rode one, but I'd probably take it over a Harley.

Other than the regular maintenance items, I can't see what else you would need barring a tip over or something...

I've heard these bikes are pretty reliable and don't generally need a lot to run them....
well thats kinda what I was thinking. plugs air filters, oil filters, brake pads pretty much fit several bikes so thats no big deal. really other than breaking something on a tip over or crash the only thing i can think of that would be really specific might be the belt and headlights it seems to me. of course i could just forgo this altogether and get a goldwing tour 2018 i found for 18k with fairly low miles . 14k i think it was. pretty much everything on that bike in 2018 is the same as 2024 i think anyways.

well thats kinda what I was thinking. plugs air filters, oil filters, brake pads pretty much fit several bikes so thats no big deal. really other than breaking something on a tip over or crash the only thing i can think of that would be really specific might be the belt and headlights it seems to me. of course i could just forgo this altogether and get a goldwing tour 2018 i found for 18k with fairly low miles . 14k i think it was. pretty much everything on that bike in 2018 is the same as 2024 i think anyways.
I think the Yamaha is still shaft drive when it went to V-Twin.

The newest generation of Honda is the smallest tourer yet. For me Honda is heading in the wrong direction with the Wing. They are responding to the Sport Touring niche and trying to attract younger buyers. Which I understand the why. I just think it's a mistake. They owned the big comfy road sofa space. Stay in that space. The latest generation has the most used resales in the Honda lineup. You can pick up a nearly new Wing at stupid cheap prices. Why buy new? They are as reliable as dirt. You won't need an extended warranty.

I think the Yamaha is still shaft drive when it went to V-Twin.

The newest generation of Honda is the smallest tourer yet. For me Honda is heading in the wrong direction with the Wing. They are responding to the Sport Touring niche and trying to attract younger buyers. Which I understand the why. I just think it's a mistake. They owned the big comfy road sofa space. Stay in that space. The latest generation has the most used resales in the Honda lineup. You can pick up a nearly new Wing at stupid cheap prices. Why buy new? They are as reliable as dirt. You won't need an extended warranty.
A person I know is a 'Wing guy and recently got a new one and loves it.....but like you mentioned it is quite a bit smaller than his last one.

He seems to always get the red ones...I've never seen him get any other color than red.

A person I know is a 'Wing guy and recently got a new one and loves it.....but like you mentioned it is quite a bit smaller than his last one.

He seems to always get the red ones...I've never seen him get any other color than red.
Red and Yellow are popular for its built in high visibility. I'd take a screaming Yellow any day. It's a giant yield sign you're driving.

Everyone picks a bike for their obvious personal reasons. The new wing isn't a bad bike. It's DCT transmission is a marvel.

But it's a down sized road sofa that the Wing was known for. And as sport tourers go it's trying to be in a space it's not really competitive with. It doesnt do 95 in 1st gear. It does have great new welcomed tech. But you're trying to sell a Wing to a younger crowd overall. And a younger crowd still views sport toureres as a Kaw Connie, a Busa a BMW, a Triumph.

If they quit making them in 21 or 22 I think you're good to go for parts until 2030 or 2032, I thought the requirement was 10 years. With that said even though they discontinued the Venture what other current models does it share parts with? So parts may not be as big an issue as you think.

960 pound air cooled motorsikkle? :rolleyes: Suzuki dealers don’t even carry parts for the Gen. 1 Busa so there could be an issue with your intended. Five years I’ve heard is the cutoff for manufacturing parts but some dealers would still have some in stock. I’ve dealt with this issue for years riding CBXs made from 79-82 and have had to pay more than I should’ve just because they’re rare as hens teeth. Good luck.
I had a Royal star venture first year I put 60000 miles on her took my wife and I on the run for the Wall that was in 1999

Well not probably going to do it this year anyways. Might just by a spyder next year to take the wife out on instead. Im just not ready to get an old mans bike yet. Yes Im old but I refuse to admit it...lol....

On a secondary note. Headed down to the dragon on September 8th for a week .... If anyone comes down look for the Gobln and come say Hi ... Not the bus but its ok..... I just hope that Maxwrist wrecks yet another bike before then and isn't around.... I say that only because he is a flat out danger to the riding public. jmo....

Well not probably going to do it this year anyways. Might just by a spyder next year to take the wife out on instead. Im just not ready to get an old mans bike yet. Yes Im old but I refuse to admit it...lol....

On a secondary note. Headed down to the dragon on September 8th for a week .... If anyone comes down look for the Gobln and come say Hi ... Not the bus but its ok..... I just hope that Maxwrist wrecks yet another bike before then and isn't around.... I say that only because he is a flat out danger to the riding public. jmo....
You just know he'll be waiting there for you....maybe you can get a sticker for your bike......LOL!

lol thats what im afraid of. No thanks on the fraking sticker thank you. lol... im not trying to be mean. im no expert rider or anything its just all i see is injury and destruction in his orbit. whether its him crashing or its someone riding with him that wants to be on one of his videos, likely crashing is the thing. I just dont understand how he can continue getting bikes and I cant believe any insurance agency would cover him. He must have an sr22 bond if he even has that.... He has crashed more bikes than I have owned in my 59 lucky years on this earth

Back