Need advice - Purchase gone bad

dx3

Registered
Guys,

Was hoping to get some advice from some fellow owners concerning a recent Hayabusa purchase I just made. The gentleman I purchased it from is a member on this site but I do not know his username, and furthermore don't think it is necessary that I post it.

Anyway, here is my story. Grab yourself a coffee as it's kinda long...

I saw the Hayabusa advertised on eBay & Craigslist. The seller had perfect feedback and the bike looked excellent, advertised as a clear title motorcycle. Well, the reserve wasn't met so I got in contact with the seller and we came to an agreement on the price. The bike was located 350 miles away from me in AR, so I borrowed a truck and made the 7 hour drive to him burning a vacation day at work.

I arrived, and the seller, who is a very nice guy, showed me the bike and helped me load it and tie it down. I paid him (cash) and we filled out the title/bill of sale. Title was a clear title and free of any liens.

I make the 7 hour drive home with my new toy and excitedly brought it to the tag agency the next day to tag it, as the seller took the tag plate from the bike when I bought it.

Well, the woman helping me came back and told me that they couldn't title the bike for me, because it has a salvage title.

Wait, what? Salvage, this title is a clear title??? Apparently not... From what they told me, the bike was damaged back in OK in 2006, then made its way to New Mexico, then to TN where the seller bought it and tagged it in AR. Somehow along the way, the title made it back to a clear title.

I have now been told that I cannot ride the bike legally until I can provide receipts showing the bike was fixed, then I need the bike inspected, and then they will give me an OK Rebuilt Title if it passes. If not, the bike cannot be ridden on OK roads.

I didn't buy a bike with a rebuilt title, I bought a bike with a clear title - or at least that's why I was willing to pay for it what I did.

The seller, who apparently didn't know that the bike had once had a salvage title, has been helpful in trying to help me find the receipts to show the bike has been fixed. He has certainly been doing his part to help. However, when I mentioned to him that I would at least like a partial refund, he said that he doesn't have any money to give me back as he used the money I gave him to pay off his loan.

I believe that he didn't know the bike had been wrecked, but I also paid what I feel was a fair price for a clean title, but WAY too much for a bike with a rebuilt title. I am not sure what to do from here.

I really like the bike and it looks great. But I don't like it enough to pay what I did for a bike that right now isn't even allowed on Oklahoma roads. At the end of the day, the best thing that will happen is I have a rebuilt title.

So I am not sure what to do from here. Again, and I have to stress, the seller has been very helpful with this whole ordeal, and has been doing his part to help me with the receipts issue. However, I didn't sign up for this drama. I don't want to jump through all these hoops to get a rebuilt title. I wanted what I thought I was buying - a clean titled Hayabusa with no issues.

What do you guys think? What should I do? Any advice is appreciated. Regards,

Jonny

I would start by tracking the bike back as many owners as you can, finding where the title got cleared, and how. Something here smells fishy. Once you have as much information on the bikes history as you can get (hopefully who, when, where changed the title) I'd consult with a lawyer about fraud.

This REALLY sucks man. I can only imagine how big of a headache this is.

Okay, this is what you have to do!

Drop your drawers, bend over and lube up the exhaust because you have now been properly shafted!

:dunno:

But, I'd be willing to give you two to one odds that the fella you bought it from is lying like a yellow faced dog!

Are the receipts coming from him (like he fixed it) or someone else~?~

There are certain states scamsters like because a salvage title will come back as clean when you register a vehicle. If memory serves, AL is one such state. All I can say is good luck. I live in Missouri and if you've got a title issue, no one will do ANYTHING to help you. I hope OK is better.

<p>Sounds fishy is right. I think the last guy had the same problem and sold it to you. Too bad you paid cash, and not through Ebay/Paypal.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>You could always sell it part by part on Ebay. May take a while, but you may be surprised how you profit better than selling whole.</p>
<p><font size="1"><i>Posted via Mobile Device</i></font></p>

Last edited:
You should've checked the VIN history before purchase.

Anyway, as suggested, if I were you, I would've tried to get the owner history and get the paper work from them. If the title was cleared by DMV of one state, by showing those proper paperwork, you should be able to get it cleared by your state too.

Jeez i dunno, but I hope it works out for you!

Thx man,

I would start by tracking the bike back as many owners as you can, finding where the title got cleared, and how. Something here smells fishy. Once you have as much information on the bikes history as you can get (hopefully who, when, where changed the title) I'd consult with a lawyer about fraud.

This REALLY sucks man. I can only imagine how big of a headache this is.

Fraud on whose part? Thanks for your advice.

so the previous owner used the money to payoff a loan he had on the bike or some other loan?
That's what I don't really understand. There was a lien on the bike that shows was paid, but then he said he took the money to the bank that next day and paid off the loan. Kinda confusing.

Okay, this is what you have to do!

Drop your drawers, bend over and lube up the exhaust because you have now been properly shafted!

:dunno:

But, I'd be willing to give you two to one odds that the fella you bought it from is lying like a yellow faced dog!

:moon: LOL.

Well, that makes me think. He said he got the bike from a guy who buys and sells bikes, which makes me wonder... Furthermore, as mentioned above, the whole "used the money to pay off the loan" doesn't really make sense to me... Maybe I am just confused by what he said, but I don't know.

Are the receipts coming from him (like he fixed it) or someone else~?~

He is trying to track down the guy he bought it from to get receipts if he was the one who fixed it?

There are certain states scamsters like because a salvage title will come back as clean when you register a vehicle. If memory serves, AL is one such state. All I can say is good luck. I live in Missouri and if you've got a title issue, no one will do ANYTHING to help you. I hope OK is better.

OK seems just as bad unfortunately.

I have documentation where he told me the bike had a clear title, but I am giving him the benefit of the doubt on it right now.

Jonny

You should've checked the VIN history before purchase.

Anyway, as suggested, if I were you, I would've tried to get the owner history and get the paper work from them. If the title was cleared by DMV of one state, by showing those proper paperwork, you should be able to get it cleared by your state too.

How - from my research Carfax doesn't offer motorcycles? My insurance didn't mention it when I gave them the VIN. I would have thought if an insurance company had paid off on a bike being wrecked that it would have shown up on their database as having a rebuilt title.

Jonny

I would search the history or trail of the previous titles as mentioned above, also I would talk to every friend I have and get a DMV officer hopefully some friend knows and see what help he can be. They can access records, you probably cant.
Someone probably laundered the title and he should be the one responsible, turn some heat on him.

<p>Sounds fishy is right. I think the last guy had the same problem and sold it to you. Too bad you paid cash, and not through Ebay/Paypal.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>You could always sell it part by part on Ebay. May take a while, but you may be surprised how you profit better than selling whole.</p>
<p><font size="1"><i>Posted via Mobile Device</i></font></p>

Well, the guy I bought it from has a clear title which makes it seem as if the guy he bought it from was the guy who got it switched...

Jonny

Title it on AZ. in your name. Have your clean title bike. If AZ won't title it clean then the seller is scaming you AND us. Because we all own and ride an awesome bike that mostly only respectable, honest people own. We wouldn't have anything less on our ORG.

OR lawyer up. And enjoy your new drag bike.

I found mine on CL in Denver. Drove 12 hrs there and 12 back. So I know your worries before the buy. My bike titled good after the purchase.

Good luck keep us posted.
Posted via Mobile Device

I remember using carfax for my motorcycles. It does work only with a few manufactures.

Wow, sorry your having to go through this. what a headache.

Maybe one of our awesome members on here can run the vin # and find out some info for ya.

How - from my research Carfax doesn't offer motorcycles? My insurance didn't mention it when I gave them the VIN. I would have thought if an insurance company had paid off on a bike being wrecked that it would have shown up on their database as having a rebuilt title.

Jonny

Some states have links for Title/VIN search for motorcycles. Found it in google. Not sure about your state though. If I were you, I wouldve googled first, and if none found, went to DMV to seek assistance.
But for your situation it's kinda late now. I hope all get resolved soon and you get some kind of justice.

Have you contacted the Tax Commission office directly? In Oklahoma the Tag Agents may or may not understand the law correctly. You may only avoid the inspection by the DPS, it still is going to end up being a less desirable rebuilt title.
Here is the actual Oklahoma Law.
http://www.okhouse.gov/Committees/CommitteeReports/7285.doc

This type of thing has gone on for several years and is known as "title washing". Vehicles were repaired and titled in other states to that did not report salvage vehicles. As long as it didn’t come back to the original state (or a state that did research) a clean title remains.

The seller may or may not have known the info on this bike, but along the line someone did. I’m betting a simple Carfax or Autocheck review would have caught it. I always recommend running one on a potential buy, but hindsight is 20-20 as they say. It is also possible an insurance company would catch it.

Your options likely will only be a lawsuit to the parties involved and let the courts decide who was at fault. Dealing with multi states your costs are going to quickly exceed realized damages and you may or may not get anything in return.

Back