Need advice, title issues...

KINJ

Registered
Recently purchased an '05 Hayabusa from a business partner and the title is in his ex girlfriend's name. he said it wouldn't be a problem to get the title from her. Well, long story short, she hasn't been very cooperative. The VIN on my bike is clean but I can't get a title from her. Do I need to buy a frame with a good VIN and swap it out? I have put too much money into redoing this bike to "just get my money back" although I am sure that I will get that suggestion. I want to get this bike legal and have the bill of sale, a police signed form showing that the VIN is not reported stolen, and obviously have the bike. Any suggestions?

Someone with more knowledge please correct me but he can't legally sale something that isn't "his". By "his" I mean registered to him regardless of who's in physical posession of it. I'm not an attorney or a cop but I don't think the sale is valid unless she signed the bill of sale herself. You may want to get your money back before it gets any worse. And for future references, never put any money into something that isn't completely legally yours. Just my .02.

Why is the bike in her name?Why is she holding back on giving up the papers? Is she not giving the title up to ba a B####?

My bike was in my girl's name when I first got it due to $$$ issues and It was a pain in the azz.Every time I would put a dime into it I had to hear how I could be giving her the $$ I owe her.It is nice having the title and reg. In my name.Good luck don't get burned man.

As said above.... But, IF he said getting the title from her wouldn't be a problem I'd send him to get it or you some cash so he can have the bike back!

In Michigan with a bill of sale and a TR-54 (police vin inspection) you can go to the secretary of state and try and get a title. The way it works is if the car/bike has been plated in the last 3 years they have the info on file still and send a letter to that person that last plated it (titleled owner)they have 30 days to responed to the letter and if they don't they then issue you a title. If if hasnt had a plate in 3 years it drops out of there system and you are issued a title right there.

PS I have done this 4 times so far this year alone with old muscle cars I bought from E-bay without titles.

You could be in receipt of stolen property should she does go off the deep end....

25 years of the car biz tells me you need to get your money back and find a better deal if she is not being cooperative... I would also document everything that is going on...

Hal probably has more recent info on the general laws but the person listed on the front of the title is the owner and without an power of attorney, you are hosed...

Legally, it wasn't his bike to sell and she holds all the cards. If she doesn't want to turn over the title your're screwed.
Get your money back as it sounds like a personal problem between your partner and his ex.

As said above.... But, IF he said getting the title from her wouldn't be a problem I'd send him to get it or you some cash so he can have the bike back!
Yes get your guy to take care of it. It is not your problem. Put the pressure on him not her. She has every legal right to not give you the title. He in fact can go to jail for selling you something that he does not own. He best pony up some money or the title.

In Michigan with a bill of sale and a TR-54 (police vin inspection) you can go to the secretary of state and try and get a title. The way it works is if the car/bike has been plated in the last 3 years they have the info on file still and send a letter to that person that last plated it (titleled owner)they have 30 days to responed to the letter and if they don't they then issue you a title. If if hasnt had a plate in 3 years it drops out of there system and you are issued a title right there.

PS I have done this 4 times so far this year alone with old muscle cars I bought from E-bay without titles.
However it is a little different when someone else holds a legal title then the person that sold it and will not give up the title.

Yeah, tell the guy to handle it or no sale
thumb_up.gif
thumb_up.gif

thumb_up.gif

Actually, to get a bit more specific...she signed the bike over to him about 2 1/2 years ago and he did the typical dumbass thing and never got it put in his name. He rode it with someone else's tags on it and no insurance. I knocked off a part of a debt he owed to me when I accepted the bike and I did a carfax report as well as had a police run the VIN on it. Everything came back clean. The title and bill of sale he was given are lost at the moment. This guy is not the most organized individual I have ever met. However, they do exist and are signed by the ex girlfriend wherever they are. Therefor, if she does report it stolen, and he finds those papers at a later date, she will be in a legal issue of her own. The only reason she won't give me a title is because she told him that she wasn't going to help him out at all due to some hard feelings between them. She won't go get a duplicate title...I even offered to pay her some money for her trouble.
So, back to the original question and point of the post, I am looking for alternatives (thank you criomega for the suggestion, this is more what I had in mind than a lecture about buying things without a title). However, I am wondering if it might be easier to switch out the frame as I have pretty much purchased all new parts for this bike at this point anyway...

Just order a Duplicate title, overnight it and get her to sign it! After all the beef is between her/him, not you!

BUT, IMOP I wouldn't have took this deal as your now part of the whole skip title mess.... Some food for thought, Without making your partner fix the mess HE created your an accessory to this process.

She is the only one who can order the dup. title and she already stated she doesn't want to help, not even for money.
Remember the frame isn't the only thing with numbers on it.
Later she could also claim the motor was stolen if she wanted to cause trouble.

And without any of that paperwork you mentioned in your second post, we're back to square one. He sold a bike he doesn't and/or can't prove he owns, therefore he can't legally sell it to you. Get your money back before it's too late. No one is lecturing you, just giving you the facts.

You could be in receipt of stolen property should she does go off the deep end....

25 years of the car biz tells me you need to get your money back and find a better deal if she is not being cooperative... I would also document everything that is going on...

Hal probably has more recent info on the general laws but the person listed on the front of the title is the owner and without an power of attorney, you are hosed...
thumb_up.gif
Yeah what he said...

Your notion of obtaining a different frame sounds much like someone trying to find out how the hell to STRIP A STOLEN BIKE and get away with something...

Smacks of thievery... Something that will get you LIT UP here on the forums....
firedevil.gif

Sounds fishy to me. Just like the guy trying to switch his ignition because he couldn't get the fuel pump turn on. lol

25 years of the car biz tells me you need to get your money back and find a better deal if she is not being cooperative...  I would also document everything that is going on...

thumb_up.gif
   Yeah what he said...

Your notion of obtaining a different frame sounds much like someone trying to find out how the hell to STRIP A STOLEN BIKE and get away with something...

Smacks of thievery...  Something that will get you LIT UP here on the forums....      
firedevil.gif
That's true. I didn't even think of it like that. If this guy gets a new frame and title then the only thing her title means is that she owns a completely stripped frame. The rest of the pieces are now on "his" bike. That's a crime sir.
spank.gif

Actually, to get a bit more specific...she signed the bike over to him about 2 1/2 years ago and he did the typical dumbass thing and never got it put in his name.  He rode it with someone else's tags on it and no insurance.  I knocked off a part of a debt he owed to me when I accepted the bike and I did a carfax report as well as had a police run the VIN on it.  Everything came back clean.  The title and bill of sale he was given are lost at the moment.  This guy is not the most organized individual I have ever met.  However, they do exist and are signed by the ex girlfriend wherever they are.  Therefor, if she does report it stolen, and he finds those papers at a later date, she will be in a legal issue of her own.  The only reason she won't give me a title is because she told him that she wasn't going to help him out at all due to some hard feelings between them.  She won't go get a duplicate title...I even offered to pay her some money for her trouble.  
So, back to the original question and point of the post, I am looking for alternatives (thank you criomega for the suggestion, this is more what I had in mind than a lecture about buying things without a title).  However, I am wondering if it might be easier to switch out the frame as I have pretty much purchased all new parts for this bike at this point anyway...
Without the paperwork no matter what you do you're never going to legally own it. You'll just pile more money into somebody elses bike...she'll always be pulling your strings. In my state I don't believe you can even register or insure a vehicle without proof of ownership. Plus the deeper you go into this the more likely you'll start looking like part of a crime taking place. Basically you're asking us if anybody here has got away with putting stolen parts on a legal frame
wowold.gif
Any local chop shop could prolly help you with your question
winkold.gif

Back