bike owner ???

techy

Registered
Help!!! Does anyone know how to get owners name with vin?
Bought a wrecked busa from dealer (I have receipt). He sold it for storage fees. With this new privacy $hit, he wouldn't tell owner's name. Trying to buy title from owner instead of buying new frame to get it on street. Carfax gave report but not owners name (privacy thing again). VIN JS1GW71A3Y2107146.

if the dude didnt have title why did he sell it?
and why did you buy it?
what if the orignal owner says its his and he wants it back?
isn't there some law agianst some one selling your bike like that, with no papers?
if he had a lean agianst it for storage fees dmv should of gave him a title or some kind of papers
or if wrecked enough you need a new frame any way so screw the title thing.
any way congrats on the busa hope it works out for you
good luck
gcal

I would go to the DMV and apply for a lost title. If nothing else it should tell who the owner was and then help to straighten it out.

I think I would just do the lost title thing. If the dealer sold it out from under the last owner I don't think I would want to give him my address. He might come back for his bike.

Welcome to the board

Story was guy took it to get fixed. Was supposed to bring deposit back to start work on bike. He hadn't showed after over two years and bad ph. number so dealer sold it. Can't figure why he'd desert it. Bike has only 1k miles and runs great. Dealer sold it for parts only. Just figured I'd try to find owner and title. Dealer gave me receipt and Carfax came back completely clean. I went to DMV. They said no can do cause I'm not registered owner. Guess I look for frame.

Sorry to inform you TECHY, but you could be in some serious trouble by having that motocycle. In most states abandoned property must be held onto for at least seven years by the business. The fact that he had no valid phone #,address, or other does not excuse him from his responsibility of holding onto the customers property for the minimum amount of time. Even when the time has expired there are certain legal steps they must take to be able to legally take possession and sell it. Either a bank, owner, or relative will at some point come looking for the motorcycle and/or may have already reported it stolen, possibly in another state. If the deal was legit why didn't the business owner keep the bike for himself?
rock.gif
Why didn't he follow these steps and turn a huge profit? Even if you get another frame and change everything over you will not be insulated from the future owner or from possession of stolen property, or grand theft auto. When they come looking the mechanic will point them in your direction and you both will be screwed.

Also, any and all improvements you have made to the motorcycle will be the property of the registered owner. As hard as it is to follow, my advice is you return the bike and get your money back before the cost to you becomes more than you can afford. IMO
wink.gif

in the car/bike repair business it is possible to have a lien placed against a vehicle that has had repairs done, or more commonly been in an accident where the owner has no insurance and they just never come got it ... it's legal to sell it for salvage.

normally it's stated on the repair order you sign before most reputable service people will ever touch your vehicle..

I could find the exact wording if you want.. but in essence it says if you don't pay, or make payment arrangements in X number of days we reserve the right to sell your vehicle and apply the monies collected to your debt. If it total is more than your debt your supposed to get the rest of it... but most people only ask whatever the bill is for to sell it to junk yards really quick. no title needed.. just a reciept.. for example..

I just sold a 92 4x4 jeep that had been flipped into a ditch by a drunk man with only liability insurance.. the wrecker bill was $550.. he never showed up.. tried to contact him several times and he just blew us off so we sold the jeep (probably totalled anyway) to a salvage yard for the amount of the wrecker bill.. credit the money to the drunks "charged account" and indicated it on the paper work.. done deal.

sounds to me like your in the clear.. but I bet you won't be able to find out his address.. and even if you did he probably doesn't have a title.

good luck getting it lined out.. i'd say it's gonna be a little aggravating.. but probably a steal if the bike is trashed.

Get the frame forsale in our classified forums and sell your old one to a racer that just needs a frame nothing more. It will suck to transfer all your parts, but worth it in the end.

in the car/bike repair business it is possible to have a lien placed against a vehicle that has had repairs done, or more commonly been in an accident where the owner has no insurance and they just never come got it ...  it's legal to sell it for salvage.

normally it's stated on the repair order you sign before most reputable service people will ever touch your vehicle..

I could find the exact wording if you want.. but in essence it says if you don't pay, or make payment arrangements in X number of days we reserve the right to sell your vehicle and apply the monies collected to your debt.  If it total is more than your debt your supposed to get the rest of it... but most people only ask whatever the bill is for to sell it to junk yards really quick.   no title needed.. just a reciept..   for example..

I just sold a 92 4x4 jeep that had been flipped into a ditch by a drunk man with only liability insurance.. the wrecker bill was $550.. he never showed up.. tried to contact him several times and he just blew us off so we sold the jeep (probably totalled anyway) to a salvage yard for the amount of the wrecker bill..  credit the money to the drunks "charged account" and indicated it on the paper work.. done deal.  

sounds to me like your in the clear.. but I bet you won't be able to find out his address.. and even if you did he probably doesn't have a title.

good luck getting it lined out.. i'd say it's gonna be a little aggravating.. but probably a steal if the bike is trashed.
A bill may state whatever it wants but does not alleviate your legal responsibilities in complying with any property abandonment laws. These are designed to help the consumer, not the business. Good luck, I would contact an attorney who deals with this type of situation and see what he has to say.
smile.gif

Back