Near Tip-Over Off Kickstand

Mine hasn't yet.. But been lowered with the stock stand was no fun bike was always moving around. I picked up a short adjustable one and she sits perfectly still now. :)

Riding in the mountains,.............about 5 years ago.........first gear,......stand down,..........stepped off,.........and as I'm about to walk away,........I feel the weight of my Busa pressing against me! HARD!!!!!!! The next thing I know,.......IT'S COMING OVER ON ME!!!! I grab as much as I can and start screaming like a little girl........."HEEEEEEEEEEEEELP!!!" Luckily,......several of my riding buds grab hold,.......and we set it upright again. These are the things I immediately learned:

1) Do all mods that "just make good sense" and cost nothing but time
2) A Busa is a much heavier machine than it appears
3) Babies are not the only ones to crap in their pants :laugh:

DON'T waste another minute,.......do the MOD!! :thumbsup:

I did the mod and still park in 1st(out in public) with steering locked. In the garage I just lower the kickstand and slide in back(just a bit) on the stand.

Glad you were able to catch her. Happened to me once, but I was on the right side of the bike. Don't know how I was able to pull her back up with just one hand on the grip, but this 210 pounds was giving it all it had. My guardian angel must have been on the other side pushing.

OK fellas I'm not a total moron, I'm aware that it's common sense to put the bike in gear then push it forward to take the slack out of the tranny then turn the front wheel to the left and then finally rest her on the stand to avoid the chance of a tip-over. The problem is this procedure is not always followed and one would think that the weight of the bike should be sufficent to keep her resting on the stand whether in gear or not, well it is not! it only takes a slight nudge forward to put her up on the stands pivot point, from there gravity takes over and down she will go.

I have been fortunate every time to be on the left side of the bike to catch her or allow her to fall aginst me instead of her falling into something else in the shop or onto the ground. Shoot one time with my first Busa she had sat parked for several hours and before locking up to go home I walked over to the bike and grabed the left handlebar and turned the bars to the left in order to lock the steering and whaamo I was instantly pinned between a stack of plywood and the weight of the falling Busa, like I said it dosen't appear to take much at all.

I just read every post in the original thread on this subject and found all the opposing views pretty interesting. From my own personal experiences and along with the fact that people have been talking about this issue for years I've decided to finally do this simple mod.

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/appearance-mods/25882-must-do-kick-stand-mod.html

OK fellas I'm not a total moron, I'm aware that it's common sense to put the bike in gear then push it forward to take the slack out of the tranny then turn the front wheel to the left and then finally rest her on the stand to avoid the chance of a tip-over. The problem is this procedure is not always followed and one would think that the weight of the bike should be sufficent to keep her resting on the stand whether in gear or not, well it is not! it only takes a slight nudge forward to put her up on the stands pivot point, from there gravity takes over and down she will go.

I have been fortunate every time to be on the left side of the bike to catch her or allow her to fall aginst me instead of her falling into something else in the shop or onto the ground. Shoot one time with my first Busa she had sat parked for several hours and before locking up to go home I walked over to the bike and grabed the left handlebar and turned the bars to the left in order to lock the steering and whaamo I was instantly pinned between a stack of plywood and the weight of the falling Busa, like I said it dosen't appear to take much at all.

I just read every post in the original thread on this subject and found all the opposing views pretty interesting. From my own personal experiences and along with the fact that people have been talking about this issue for years I've decided to finally do this simple mod.

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/appearance-mods/25882-must-do-kick-stand-mod.html

:beerchug: "Freedom of Choice!" :beerchug:

Gotta do this mod too. When at home it parked in a Baxley chock. Ride right up in it in the garage. Put the kick stand down and walk away. I put the kick stand down for when I roll out as a safety back up. :bowdown:

I have to ask: Did you have the bike in first gear while doing this or were you in neutral?

I'm curious because I always leave my bike in first gear. I know there's plenty of play in the transmission but I'm not sure if there's enough play for it to roll off the kickstand or not.

Yes there is enough play :laugh: I put mine in 1st an roll it forward till tranny catches an then set it on the stand..

and I did the kickstand mod a while ago it makes a huge difference on the stability of the bike while it's on the stand one close call is enough even for a lazy person like me:laugh:

How many times can one fellow catch his Busa in a near tip-over? Aparently quite a few but I'm really starting to feel like maybe it's time to take a few minutes and notch that sucker so that it rides a bit more forward.

Today she's on the side stand and I'm polishing the billet swingarm spools, I guess she was gently rocking back and forth a bit, enough to rock her up on the stand a bit, I kinda notice out the corner of my eye that something is moving which really kinda freaks out my mind, equalibrium, inner ear or some other built-in human inner balance mechanism, for just a second my mind thought that I was falling over and when I went to catch myself I suddenly realized the Busa was what was moving, ever so gently easing forward (really wierd like it was in slow motion) I start to hear the front tire squeak a bit on the painted floor and see that the front tire/forks are falling to the left from their own weight and this pulled her right past the balance point on the kick stand, once again luckily I was on the left side of the bike and was able to catch her.

This has happened several times too many on this new Busa, it's almost like the stand is overly anxious to fold right up, come to think of it the spring appears to be quite a bit stronger than the one on the old Busa, sure smacks into place when I put it up, guess I'll compare the springs tomorrow and more than likely break out the old Dremel tool.

I keep mine in 1st to avoid those kind of surprises...

The first day I had my new Busa, I drove 3 miles home and did the kickstand mod. I never want it to fall over.
The very first day.....I went to look at a Hayabusa .....Bought the bike paid the cash Private sale....it was parked up a fairly long drive way no concrete just grass...no where to turn it around ....i sat on bike and proceeded to let it roll back wards looking in mirrors then i got nearly 2 thirds down driveway backwards and then i had to turn bike around in the process of turning bike around on grass my foot lost traction......BUSA Down.....it all felt like slow motion as it fell i went with it ....and was not caught under it.....i was expecting the worse....Fairing damage tank damage..... lucky it was on grass....it took 2 of us to lift bike verticle.....NOW when i park bike in a different place that i am not used to parking...i always think Ok you parked it here but how are you going to Take off from where you parked so i always look for an easy and safe take off point Not to leave me in a hard place. But a place to wiggle out of with ease.......

Last edited:
Mine fell over on Monday. I had her in neutral and must of rolled a bit. Over she went. This was the first time I have ever allowed a bike to touch the ground. I was standing there looking at the bike laying in my driveway in disbelief. I knew what had happened but what a site to see a big busa laying on her side. I picked her up and checked her over. Didn't notice any damage but I felt like an idiot.

Ten years with no mod or tip over. I drag the bike backwards about an inch every time I put it on the side stand.

I did the modification and still park in 1st (out in public) with steering locked.

In the garage I just lower the kickstand and slide in back (just a bit) on the stand.

This modification can be performed on your factory kickstand with a rat tail file . . .

13138853_10156871732100296_2353009524019444316_n.jpg

Back