Kickstand??? what's it doing

elcid11

Registered
I just got an 05 busa about a month ago and it seems that for some reason...today when I went to put the sidestand down, it was really really stiff and hard to put down.

I also noticed that the stand has some play...like when I lean my bike over that the stand will move out a bit when the weight of the bike is on it...is this normal?

I played with it a little, but the stand seems kind of stiff still, and aren't stands supposed to snap into place in both the down position and the up position...cause it is too stiff to do that.

Thanks in advance.

elcid... From what you are telling, I dont think your kick stand is behaving normally! It's not stiff on my bike... You might want to lube it a lil! There is always a slight "move out" when the bike leans on the stand... but if you feel its moving out way too much, I think you better ask your dealer to check it out for you.
smile.gif

Yeah...it is kinda wierd...after moving it a lot...it seems to be smoother but it still does not snap with full force into the up or down position.

I would say the kickstand moves about one inch outward when the bike is leaned over...and I looked at the bolts and they seem fine...

Not sure?

i've noticed the same thing on my 05. did not notice it at first but about the last week or so i notice i have to push the stand all the way down into position, instead of the usual tap and the stand is supposed to snap down into place. i put a little w-d on mine but it still feels funny.

I always give my kickstand an extra kick forward just to make sure it's down before I lean it over. I recommend making a habit of it. Works on any bike too
smile.gif

elcid, if its moving just an inch... I suppose thats ok! As far as the stifness... I recomend that you lube it and then give it a shot! Also, you might want to checkout the Spring.

I also suggest that you do the kick stand mod for the busa... Just to be on the safer side
biggrin.gif

For those that have not read it check out the <a href="https://www.hayabusa.org/cgi-bin/busa/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=11;t=9901">Kickstand Mod<a> thread in the Modifications forum. There is a reason why it's pinned at the top.

I have an 04' LE and the kickstand has no "spring" in it at all.

I have to push it ALL THE WAY DOWN and pull it ALL THE WAY UP. I say all the way because if I just lightly kick it down or up, it won't fully extend or retract.

Its always been like that, and I never thought there was anything wrong with it. It just gives the kickstand a more "solid" feeling.

I have an 04 LE and it pops up but I have to push it ALL THE WAY DOWN also. A 1 inch outward move is a lot in my opinion, mine has never moved that much. Also I tend to give my "three kick routine" to make sure that it's all the way down and is not going to pop up when I put the bike on it!

Once you lube your chain a few times you will find that chain lube oozing out of the countersprocket area is kinda like an automatic sidestand lubricator.
laugh.gif
Mine has always moved out more than an inch. The play is supposed to create a bind at the pivot point to keep the bike from rolling off the stand when it has wieght on it. Doesn't work too well, hence the kickstand mod.

<!--EDIT|bronc3
Reason for Edit: None given...|1110763236 -->

Back