Near Tip-Over Off Kickstand

V-Max 2 Busa

Registered
How many times can one fellow catch his Busa in a near tip-over? Aparently quite a few but I'm really starting to feel like maybe it's time to take a few minutes and notch that sucker so that it rides a bit more forward.

Today she's on the side stand and I'm polishing the billet swingarm spools, I guess she was gently rocking back and forth a bit, enough to rock her up on the stand a bit, I kinda notice out the corner of my eye that something is moving which really kinda freaks out my mind, equalibrium, inner ear or some other built-in human inner balance mechanism, for just a second my mind thought that I was falling over and when I went to catch myself I suddenly realized the Busa was what was moving, ever so gently easing forward (really wierd like it was in slow motion) I start to hear the front tire squeak a bit on the painted floor and see that the front tire/forks are falling to the left from their own weight and this pulled her right past the balance point on the kick stand, once again luckily I was on the left side of the bike and was able to catch her.

This has happened several times too many on this new Busa, it's almost like the stand is overly anxious to fold right up, come to think of it the spring appears to be quite a bit stronger than the one on the old Busa, sure smacks into place when I put it up, guess I'll compare the springs tomorrow and more than likely break out the old Dremel tool.

Glad you caught it

Again

Ive only had one close call, Misty was in the driveway on the stand, I stood her up and pushed intot eh garage without lifting the stand, Unaware that when I pushed her in the stand had drug the driveway at some point and folded it back just a little, But enough to when I went to set it back down the stand folded the rest of the way up. Causing the bike to fall towards me. Its amazing how adrenilin kicks in.

I have to ask: Did you have the bike in first gear while doing this or were you in neutral?

I'm curious because I always leave my bike in first gear. I know there's plenty of play in the transmission but I'm not sure if there's enough play for it to roll off the kickstand or not.

Last edited:
always turn your wheel to the left.

are you lowered? if so you may need to invest in a kickstand. trackstand would help too.

Last edited:
I am one of the initiated to the kickstand tip overs...and over she went. I was more stunned than anything else to see my mistress laying on her side...and something always breaks off or gets scratched when the girl goes over...tips of brake handles...stator cover scratches...yikes.

Like one of the guys stated above...when I am ready to turn off the engine I always put her in 1st gear..turn off the engine, and nudge her forwards so that she can't scootch forward anymore. It is the scootching forward unexpectedly that causes the kickstand to collapse...haven't dropped it since do to this problem...2hip

I did mine fairly close to getting it.
If it falls, it will be a real shame, but worse is the damage to your back in trying to catch it.
I don't need that pain, which could even stop me from riding.
She is pretty heavy when she starts to fall, and I am not ready for it, and lurch my back.
Only once and it got done.

i did the kickstand mod on mine. easy fix. i think the write up is in the new owners section.

I've never had that issue. I did however roll my 2000 Red into the garage once and didnt notice the stand got pushed back a bit... I hollered and heaved it back into position from allmost hitting the ground. Never again.

Bike in second, so that when starting it later it gets clicked DOWN into neutral, much easier than clicking up when standing next to bike. -----Bike in second, lower kickstand and the bike shuts off. Roll forwards or backwards putting foot on the kickstand knob as exiting the vehicle.

The kickstand mod kinda sucks in that the bike does lean over fairly far. Almost to the point of balance for tip-over on some instances. Lamb has had this mod since day 1 also.

Last edited:
Bike in gear, I always pull back on my bike to make sure that stand is locked forward, use a stand when doing maintenance.

Glad you caught her again, that luck has got to be running out brother and the Busa don't go down easy.............

Glad you caught your baby. I will never understand why most people don't do the free mod, but I am sure your going to get many replies about 1st gear, drive line slack, turning the front wheel, always parking uphill, etc etc.

All of those solutions are great if you "remember" to do them 100% of the time. It's that "one" time that can cost you big $$, I take all the extra precautions mentioned above plus the kickstand mod. Now I have a turbo so I can't park on a downhill slope.

Back