My track day pics

gtrpimp76

S.Q.U.I.D. Extraordinaire
Donating Member
Registered
what up y'all?

Just got back from Willow Springs Raceway and rode "The Fastest Track in the West!!" Here are some pics

DSC_0303.jpg

Turn 1. I still haven't figured out the best approach. This comes after a real long straight (3/4 mile?). Turn 1 is deceptive b/c it looks as if you'll overshoot but you can actually lay the bike down low and successfully make a high speed left.

DSC_0718.jpg

turn 2 is a long high speed sweeping turn. It's possible to knee drag through here. I actually did on my last session before the rain set in.  
sad.gif

DSC_1497.jpg

turn 3 features the tightest/most technical portion of the track in that it features elevation changes and a quick right turn into 4. Another good opportunity to drag the knee. Gear selection and trail braking is essential for passing opportunities.

DSC_1498.jpg

turn 3 continued....

DSC_1534.jpg

Me blowing by the competition. That's a ZX636 behind me and a GSXR600. In our group (street) passing is only allowed on the outside of corners and straightaways (where I made most of my passes).

I will review the track further another time.

<!--EDIT|gtrpimp76
Reason for Edit: None given...|1141706091 -->

I went there in Feb.  Its a blast!!  Still waiting on pics  
sad.gif

The track is a little fast for my taste, yes I ride a busa  
tounge.gif

Turn8 150mph to drag knee, forget about it, too fast.

Looks like you had fun  
biggrin.gif

<!--EDIT|Charlesbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1141705912 -->

Right on Charles. Turn 8 was one of my favs. Didn't quite get the knee down b/c at 150 to 160 mph=scary as $h1t!! Turn 9 was a little tricky for me at first b/c the apex radius got tight real quick just before the main straight! I finally figured drop 2 gears before hand and then it was WOFT thru that (another fave of mine). I think I hit 170 indicated on the straight.

God dang it was a blast. My adrenaline is still pumping.
cool.gif

Great pics...I kind of envy you track guys...OK the truth be told I don't...Enjpy and be careful...

and let me add that with my mods listed below, the bike actually proved to be more powerful for track than I thought. I noticed brake fade halfway through session #2. I think instead of modding my engine more I'll get the steel braided lines, better rotors and EBC HH pads. I don't know how guys like Rossi, Melandri, Hayden take a 230-240 rwhp bike and ride the crap outta them and make it look easy. 160 hp proved to be more than plenty. Of course I had one of the heaviest bikes out there. Didn't see another Busa, 12R or anything like that. Lots of WSMC racers, 600's and a few liters. I'm hooked!! Can't wait till April 21st @ California Speedway w/Fastrackriders.com

Now thatz how you get you gangsta lean on, Playa.

Thanks for sharing !!!
super.gif

Awesome, pimp! Represent! Were people stunned by your choice of "track bike"? I've heard willow is good for large engine

Flat out awsome! Looks like you had a blast. Welcome to anudder addiction....TRACK DAYS!!!!!!!!

I am stoked to get back on the track. I will be at Road Atlanta next month and VIR and Barber later in the year.

Awesome, pimp!  Represent!   Were people stunned by your choice of "track bike"?  I've heard willow is good for large engine
Yeah!! I got "you're riding that thing??!!" "Are you insane?" "You're gonna be awfully pooped after today."But Big Track Willow is PERFECT for the big busa. Even the tight stuff didn't seem all that difficult. You can actually feel a couple "G's" especially through turns 6,7,8,9. I'm running the OEM tires and they really stick. I can only imagine what the Pilot Powers would do.

Flat out awsome! Looks like you had a blast. Welcome to anudder addiction....TRACK DAYS!!!!!!!!

I am stoked to get back on the track. I will be at Road Atlanta next month and VIR and Barber later in the year.
Thanx vman!! You're riding all the AMA tracks this year. I'm riding the Cali Speedway AMA track in April. IT REALLY IS AN ADDICTION. I can't wait for the next one. I wish I can do a track day everyday. Maybe I can sneak an early April Trackdaz event before fastrackriders.com

It's nothing like street riding at all. I mean your tires get soooo tore up but after a couple laps, they're so sticky its great. I can get my knee down sometimes but not all the time. Got any tips?

Awesome, pimp!  Represent!   Were people stunned by your choice of "track bike"?  I've heard willow is good for large engine
Yeah!! I got "you're riding that thing??!!" "Are you insane?" "You're gonna be awfully pooped after today."But Big Track Willow is PERFECT for the big busa. Even the tight stuff didn't seem all that difficult. You can actually feel a couple "G's" especially through turns 6,7,8,9. I'm running the OEM tires and they really stick. I can only imagine what the Pilot Powers would do.
I got the same reaction when I rode mine at Grattan last year. The smaller bikes could get me on the corners but....as I came out of the corners and nailed the throttle, they didnt stand a chance. I had a total blast for my 1st track day experience. Couldn't get up enough ballz to drag my knee though. Especially liked the little rubber balls that formed on my OEM tires, didnt realize that they got that hot unless you were doing burn outs.

The smaller bikes could get me on the corners but....as I came out of the corners and nailed the throttle, they didnt stand a chance.
Yup. All the 600's and liters would blow past me thru turn 9. But I would downshift 2 gears before the main straight before turn 1 and WOT thru the gears. They all looked like they were standing still.
super.gif

Thanx vman!! You're riding all the AMA tracks this year. I'm riding the Cali Speedway AMA track in April. IT REALLY IS AN ADDICTION. I can't wait for the next one. I wish I can do a track day everyday. Maybe I can sneak an early April Trackdaz event before fastrackriders.com

It's nothing like street riding at all. I mean your tires get soooo tore up but after a couple laps, they're so sticky its great. I can get my knee down sometimes but not all the time. Got any tips?
I did my 1st one in November last year and I am doing at least 4 this year. I am hooked.

I dont know how much you weigh, but get your suspension done. I had my reworked by traxxion after the RA day last November. In just around the block rides, the bike handles the bumps much better.

I am on the wait list for VIR this weekend and as a backup...Deals Gap. I will be able to give a in depth revive on my winter suspension mods then.

As you already know, the Busa will eat tires...especially on the track. Try a true race tire for your next day. I use Michelin M2's, last years race tire and they work fine. About $245 delivered for the 120/190 combo from Sportbike track Time.

The Powers are another great choice. With the V shaped profile, either the M2 or the Power, you will notice a quicker turn in.....

Nice job pimp. I did homestead with the penguin school (the wood bros.) I also had the most fun I ever have had on a bike. I rode dirt for years. I had my brake lines and pads done long before the track day and I noticed the front wanted to dive badly under extream braking. So I had Computrac revalve the forks and what a difference. Not to toot my own horn but I was also blowing by guys in my group. The final session I started last in my group and passed every rider and the instructor. I thought I was haulin till Eric Wood blew back past me looked back at me around 140 and patted the ass of his bike and wanted me to follow him. He wanted to show me his lines. How cool is this!!! I'm also hooked. Now looking for a track bike and looking forward to doing atlanta,barber,and any others I can make. The busa is down now cause the tranny needs to be under cut, can't keep it in gear. There were 2 other busa's in my group but they were very cautious and slow. My friend scott rode his z1000 with hard compound tires. He ended the day causing a red flag when he high sided in a fast dog leg. He landed on his right forearm. His joe rocket jacket poped open at his wrist, rolled up past his elbow and proceeded to chew his arm to #### on the track.So make sure you have good gear. Speed safe!

Hopefully I will get my baby on a track someday. Looks and sounds like you had fun. Thanks for sharing.

Back