My (hub?) is loose???

CouchRocket

Registered
I am one of those busa owners who has the mechanical inclination of a 5 year old. Ok so I guess its my hub that has worked loose.  
rock.gif
 I can take my fingers and wiggle the sprocket and the hub
rock.gif
that connects to the wheel is loose. Whats up with that
rock.gif
Are there bearings in the there? I swear I can feel it when im riding. I knew this was the best place in the world to find an answer as to what caused this and what I need to do to fix it. Thanks in advance!

rock.gif

rock.gif

How old is the bike? Sounds like cush drive rubbers.

Are the bolts tight on the rear sprocket?

Its probably worn out cush drive rubbers.

They are inside the hub and will cause play.

oldcush.jpg

The bolts seem tight enough. What you posted is probably my problem. I guess I'll take her to the doctor. Thanks for the pics!

(CouchRocket @ Jun. 06 2007,22:03) The bolts seem tight enough. What you posted is probably my problem. I guess I'll take her to the doctor. Thanks for the pics!
It's easy to change yourself if you can take your rear wheel off.
Don't know what a shop would charge to change them.

(Pipefighter248 @ Jun. 06 2007,22:05)
(CouchRocket @ Jun. 06 2007,22:03) The bolts seem tight enough. What you posted is probably my problem. I guess I'll take her to the doctor. Thanks for the pics!
It's easy to change yourself if you can take your rear wheel off.
Don't know what a shop would charge to change them.
Very easy to do, if you can take your rear wheel off you may want to try this one on your own.

Replaced my cush rubbers last tire change and I could barely get the hub back on.
Had to lay the wheel on the floor and stand on top of the hub shifting my weight back and forth to get it to seat.

Those new rubbers are tight!!!

Do they make them in magnum?

all_coholic.gif

Alittle WD40 or lube on the new rubbers let the cush drive slip in place.

Why did that sound perverted?

Make sure they are new, a lot of people will sell used ones.

If you dont get those I know board sponsors sell them.
beerchug.gif

To me, it sounds like the cush may not be the problem.......he's (from my perception) talking "play" as in wiggle or slop. The cush's would allow gap between fore and aft rotation of the rear wheel. The rear hub is independent of the rear wheel only, in that, they're connected by the cush's and the splines "inside" the hub. Hmmmmmmm..........................sounds to me, like he broke somethin'......

Cracked the spacer ??.....Dunno........I know some have actually "torqued" the rear wheel without the spacer actually inserted (you know the stepped ends of the spacer ?) in either the center or the hub splitting, or cracking it..........all you have to do is chip off the step and there would be a certain amount of radial movement....."especially" out of a rear end that puts out the ft / lbs of torque ours do............I dunno...I'm putting together a different picture of what he's describing is all. Even with the axle shaft running up the center, there'd be room for wiggle or slop if something like that happened.....

Hey! Cush rubber won't do what he is saying is goin on here! Don't ride that bike!!! Axle not torqued? Bearing fubared in drive hub,
rock.gif
Like the pic show's above! How could this be possible unless the spacer was left out? and if you did that
rock.gif
maybe you shouldn't
all_coholic.gif
SHOCKED.gif

rock.gif

(GMbusa @ Jun. 06 2007,22:27) Alittle WD40 or lube on the new rubbers let the cush drive slip in place.

Why did that sound perverted?
Nah, only if you suggested using KY or Jergens..

crazy.gif

There is a bearing in that sprocket adapter. Worn cush-drive will only give you driveline lash. You should NOT be able to move the sprocket side-to-side. I would think its either that bearing worn or the axle isn't tight. I wouldn't ride it like that.

Back