anodizing the clutch hub test

thepushercg

veni vidi vici
Donating Member
Registered
i finished up the second test tonight,my thoughts are this.
you can not anodize the busa stock clutch hub, both test it failed to take the dye. to back up my testing, i took a scrap piece of aluminum i had, followed the same test,it did take the dye. heres a couple of pics.

all this meaning if you want your clutch hub to be different
the only option would be polishing. or possible powdercoat.

anodized1.jpg

this is the hub used.
on the left is a stock alum. ring
on the right is the scrap ring that anodized

i used two different clutch hubs in the testing, this is the last hub used.

anodized2.jpg

so if you put a light machine surface on the hub what happens?

You say clutch hub... Do you mean the cast pressure plate? I'm getting confused.

you are right brendan

i have polished the one that is on my bike, no problems with it.

You may need to try some deox/desmut for anodizing alloys such as 2024. This should works on 1000 to 7000 series alloys. Different alloys need different mixes. Good luck with all.
Q.

Joseph, what did I start, I thank polishing would be best thing to do, because my mechanic advised me the powdercoat will also come off with the movement of the clutch.

My Webpage

Joseph, what did I start, I thank polishing would be best thing to do, because my mechanic advised me the powdercoat will also come off with the movement of the clutch.

My Webpage
why would pc come off with movement of clutch???the pc is not on the face of where the clutch actually engages>>the pc never comes in contact with nothing that moves but the oil which it never sticks too...The springs are tight in the housing and never touch the walls of the pressure plate....Please explain why mechanic says this???

IMHO., If the pressure plate is polished a bit smoothe before powdercoat, I dont think you have anything to worry about...

IMHO., If the pressure plate is polished a bit smoothe before powdercoat, I dont think you have anything to worry about...
you actually want the face lightly sandblast so powder adheres in the pits and bonds better with metal..the pc should be smooth when finished as you slowly powder it even to ensure no blotching...frisbee's was done this way...I guess we will see in time..

that would be sweet thats why i would'nt ever do the clear clutch mod because i didn't like the way the hub looked in stock form ... kinda gnarly in my opinion but this would sweet would def like adonized better than pc but either would be good

Back