My first time at Miller Motorsports park

(Charlesbusa @ Aug. 14 2007,01:40) The braking markers are probably worth tons for turn1.  Approaching the corner at 180mph  
SHOCKED.gif
  you definately need some sort of marker to know when to hit the brakes  
cool.gif
+1

180+ going into T1 that prolly is only a 100 MPH corner (for the AMA guys), we better have some damn good markers.
laugh.gif

BTW-I just bought Power Races Medium/softs @ my last trackday. But...I now have a PRC front (still 120/70 but with a sharper V profile and much softer compound) and a 190/55 rear.

This is the first time I've used the 55 profile. I noticed that I lost a bit on the straights in terms of top end speed and I really have to get on the gas hard just to get the same drive I normally got from the 190/50's. Do I go up a tooth on the rear? I need to get my corner exit drives sorted out before Miller.

(gtrpimp76 @ Aug. 13 2007,06:30) Do I go up a tooth on the rear? I need to get my corner exit drives sorted out before Miller.
gtrpimp - good questions. Let me add - that I'll be on 16/42 sprockets on the 24th. I'm very curious to see how this works out on the track. We know what it will do on the dragstrip. I just hope it does good on the twisties as well.

And - I'm going to the gym and riding my bicycle each day to get in better shape for this. HC it's a workout.

(gtrpimp76 @ Aug. 13 2007,13:30) This is the first time I've used the 55 profile. I noticed that I lost a bit on the straights in terms of top end speed and I really have to get on the gas hard just to get the same drive I normally got from the 190/50's. Do I go up a tooth on the rear? I need to get my corner exit drives sorted out before Miller.
My guess would be that the feeling is different and you're just as fast or because of the different geometry(raised rear) you aren't as comfortable.

A taller tire has more circumfurence(can't spell) and should give you a higher top speed because the tire covers more distance in one revolution.

I wouldn't think the extra weight of a 55 would matter to a GSXR1000 because your bike has gobs of power.

I don't "think" you need to mess with the sproket gearing.  Probably either have to get used to the different geometry or lower the rear a little to return the bike to its orginal geomtry.

The 55 profile gives you more grip on the side so you should be able to get on the throttle more earlier.

That's my guess anyway  
biggrin.gif

(Charlesbusa @ Aug. 13 2007,16:07)
(gtrpimp76 @ Aug. 13 2007,13:30) This is the first time I've used the 55 profile. I noticed that I lost a bit on the straights in terms of top end speed and I really have to get on the gas hard just to get the same drive I normally got from the 190/50's. Do I go up a tooth on the rear? I need to get my corner exit drives sorted out before Miller.
My guess would be that the feeling is different and you're just as fast or because of the different geometry(raised rear) you aren't as comfortable.

A taller tire has more circumference(can't spell) and should give you a higher top speed because the tire covers more distance in one revolution.

I wouldn't think the extra weight of a 55 would matter to a GSXR1000 because your bike has gobs of power.

I don't "think" you need to mess with the sproket gearing.  Probably either have to get used to the different geometry or lower the rear a little to return the bike to its orginal geomtry.

The 55 profile gives you more grip on the side so you should be able to get on the throttle more earlier.

That's my guess anyway  
biggrin.gif
The 190/55 is taller than the 190/50...so you need to go up on the rear sprocket...if you didn't have
any trouble keeping the front end down on corner exits with the 190/50, I would go +2 on the rear
with the 190/55...if it did want to wheelie on hard exits with the 190/50, then I would only go +1  
wink.gif

(Charlesbusa @ Aug. 13 2007,09:40)
(Rocketman @ Aug. 13 2007,05:44) Well then I was using them right.  I just am not sure how fast to come into those corners.  It seems like it takes a lot to get the busa slowed down.  so I'm braking way before the numbers.  (But I'm a beginner so that's probably the reason.)
Remember where you brake.  Then the next time you get to the same corner, brake just a little bit later.  Just do a little at a time.  You just keep braking later and later until you chicken out or you run a wide into the corner.  Then you know exactly where you can brake for the fastest lap time.

The braking markers are probably worth tons for turn1.  Approaching the corner at 180mph  
SHOCKED.gif
  you definately need some sort of marker to know when to hit the brakes  
cool.gif
They don't run the BIG track on "open track days"...usually just the West Track
wink.gif

So no 180+ MPH till 9/3
muscle.gif

(gtrpimp76 @ Aug. 13 2007,13:30) BTW-I just bought Power Races Medium/softs @ my last trackday. But...I now have a PRC front (still 120/70 but with a sharper V profile and much softer compound) and a 190/55 rear.

This is the first time I've used the 55 profile. I noticed that I lost a bit on the straights in terms of top end speed and I really have to get on the gas hard just to get the same drive I normally got from the 190/50's. Do I go up a tooth on the rear? I need to get my corner exit drives sorted out before Miller.
You lost some speed because of the taller tire...you won't get the same drive out of the corner.

But, if the straight is long enough...you can go 1-3 MPH more on the top end...if your bike has the HP.

The 190/55 is like going -1 on the rear...but it turns in faster and has MUCH more grip  
wink.gif

(Rocketman @ Aug. 13 2007,14:00)
(gtrpimp76 @ Aug. 13 2007,06:30) Do I go up a tooth on the rear? I need to get my corner exit drives sorted out before Miller.
gtrpimp - good questions.  Let me add - that I'll be on 16/42 sprockets on the 24th.  I'm very curious to see how this works out on the track.  We know what it will do on the drag strip.  I just hope it does good on the twisties as well.

And - I'm going to the gym and riding my bicycle each day to get in better shape for this.  HC it's a workout.
16/42 will pull like crazy out of the corners...be careful that you don't spin up the rear on the exits. You will lose
about 15 mph on the top end also...if you haven't bought the gears yet...I would recommend just going with 17/43  
wink.gif

Ah ha,

see I learned something today  
biggrin.gif

I knew(from Rich
tounge.gif
) that a taller tire would give you a higher top speed.  Only makes sense that you gain top speed at the expense of acceleration, just like a sproket change  
beerchug.gif

Is there anything Rich doesn't know
rock.gif

super.gif

Still trying to think of the physics behind it.  Taller tire covers more distance in a revolution so higher top speed.  So I'm thinking that you lose acceleration on a taller tire it takes more force to rotate it than a smaller tire.  Hmmm, but why....  physics I need physics  
tounge.gif

why why why I know, don't ask why....

tounge.gif

(Charlesbusa @ Aug. 13 2007,19:47) Ah ha,

see I learned something today  
biggrin.gif

I knew(from Rich
tounge.gif
) that a taller tire would give you a higher top speed.  Only makes sense that you gain top speed at the expense of acceleration, just like a sproket change  
beerchug.gif

Is there anything Rich doesn't know
rock.gif

super.gif

Still trying to think of the physics behind it.  Taller tire covers more distance in a revolution so higher top speed.  So I'm thinking that you lose acceleration on a taller tire it takes more force to rotate it than a smaller tire.  Hmmm, but why....  physics I need physics  
tounge.gif

why why why     I know, don't ask why....
Plenty
crazy.gif

tounge.gif

(BA BUSA @ Aug. 13 2007,11:29)
gtrpimp - good questions. Let me add - that I'll be on 16/42 sprockets on the 24th. I'm very curious to see how this works out on the track. We know what it will do on the drag strip. I just hope it does good on the twisties as well.

And - I'm going to the gym and riding my bicycle each day to get in better shape for this. HC it's a workout.
16/42 will pull like crazy out of the corners...be careful that you don't spin up the rear on the exits. You will lose
about 15 mph on the top end also...if you haven't bought the gears yet...I would recommend just going with 17/43
wink.gif
Sorry to ask - but why the 17/43's over the 16/42's?

(Rocketman @ Aug. 13 2007,21
super.gif
)
(BA BUSA @ Aug. 13 2007,11
super.gif
)
gtrpimp - good questions.  Let me add - that I'll be on 16/42 sprockets on the 24th.  I'm very curious to see how this works out on the track.  We know what it will do on the drag strip.  I just hope it does good on the twisties as well.

And - I'm going to the gym and riding my bicycle each day to get in better shape for this.  HC it's a workout.
wink.gif
Sorry to ask - but why the 17/43's over the 16/42's?
Have you run 16/42 before? I just think it's too much...the bike will really want to wheelie in 1st and 2nd if your not careful with the throttle.

17/43 which is 3 up on the rear is a NOTICEABLE difference...and a 16 front is a little hard on the chain.

16/42 is a lot of fun, but you're gonna be buzzing on the freeway and your speedo is going to be even more off.

super.gif

17/43 which is 3 up on the rear is a NOTICEABLE difference...and a 16 front is a little hard on the chain.

16/42 is a lot of fun, but you're gonna be buzzing on the freeway and your speedo is going to be even more off.[/Quote]

I can probably exchange them for 17/43's. Can I use this set up on both the strip and the twisties with good results?

(Rocketman @ Aug. 13 2007,21:57) 17/43 which is 3 up on the rear is a NOTICEABLE difference...and a 16 front is a little hard on the chain.

16/42 is a lot of fun, but you're gonna be buzzing on the freeway and your speedo is going to be even more off.

I can probably exchange them for 17/43's.  Can I use this set up on both the strip and the twisties with good results?[/Quote]
What type of riding do you do most ?

Mostly street... I do occasional dragstrip and occasional sportbike track. I like to pull hard and I really don't want any R1's getting the jump on me wherever. (egomaniac - I know)

Back