Hayabusa destroys Level 1 group at WSIR

SGVridgerunner

Registered
I'm so stoked that I had to post this. Today was my first track day on a bike. This was also my first time on Willow Springs Intl Raceway. I had the VFR all prepped the night before when I noticed a small oil leak. Crap, gotta switch to the 'Busa. The Busa is my landspeed bike and there are obvious reasons why I didn't want to run it on a road course. Those reasons were highlighted when I showed up at the track. First I get harassed by the 600 riders in tech. Stuff like "What's it like racing a bus?" and "Are you going to have to make a 3 point turnaround on turn 2?" HA HA, whatever
boxing.gif

Things really got bad during the rider's meeting when Dave from Fastrack picked on me specifically when he was talking about passing in Level 1. Stuff like "I saw a Busa in tech, now you 600 riders are going to get frustrated becasue some people have to go out and buy the biggest bike they can, and don't know how to ride and will do 160 in the straight, but then slow down to 20 in the turns cause they cant ride..." blah blah blah. I actually got really pissed about this, and thought "Is he trying to loose business here?"
ohthedrama.gif

So I just use this as fuel, and on the first session out, not only do I not get passed by anyone, I damn near lap the field!!! And I'm on Pilot Road 2s!!!!!!
rofl.gif
By the end of session 3 going into lunch, my tires are scuffed past the edge, and my right knee puck finally got some scuffage
woot.gif
. The 600 riders were like "Wow you can actually ride that thing"
bowdown.gif
I had the opportunity to move up to level 2, but I stayed in level 1 because I was still trying to learn the bike, and passing lots of people is so confidence-inspiring.

Well, a lot of the slower level 1 riders left early, and a few level 2 riders came down to level 1 because it was less crowded, so as the day went on, my relative speed decreased, but I was still passing some people. I rented an on-board camera for my last lap, so I'll post the video later, and I'll get pictures when they come out. Just thought I'd share my victory for tracked 'Busas everywhere.
muscle.gif

Just a case of someone not ever owning one and looking at what a majority of them are used for. These are very capable bikes and the new ones are even more capable than teh older ones...Way to take out teh naysayers.

OH yeah! Those pretrack riders meetings are all about stroking their egos. We're gonna pick on someone who is perceived to be slow. Lamb saw it happen firsthand by the suspension guy with his cronies standing around him. The snicker, the offhand remark, the "why bring a bike like this". The purposeful double pull to get the bike out of the front tire stand at his adjusting trailer. "Wow, this tank sure is heavy." Give 'em hell! Good on you! TRACKDAYS RULE!

right on SGV! Myself, Charlesbusa, and Lamb Busa are riding Willow on June 30 through

We'll be riding "B" group or intermediate, but I may be in the "A" group. Sign up and we hope to meet you one of these days.

BTW-I ride with fastrackriders, especially at Fontana. David Pyles has been giving that rehearsed speech about "big HP Liters and above" deal for years. He wasn't picking on ya. He just speaks in general, and from what they've seen through the years. Anyways, welcome TO THE ADDICTION!!

If you're out there riding on GMR, you're getting all the training you need!

Good on ya, man.

--Wag--

I had a similar experience at Grattan Speedway in Michigan, by the end of the day I was passing the instructor who was riding a 750. Smaller bikes deffinately corner better but you just can't beat torque and horsepower. Most of the riders in my group wrecked (thank god I didn't)

Bravo Zulu!! (well done)

it happens often in on road situtations as well with similiar results give a competent rider that's ridden less than compatent bike but,.... now owns the best of them and,rides accordingly to the best of his ability yet, not beyond.

Bravo Zulu!!    (well done)

it happens often in on road situtations as well with similiar results give a competent rider that's ridden less than compatent bike but,.... now owns the best of them and,rides accordingly to the best of his ability yet, not beyond.

Back