My first LEO interview

300Busa

Chillaxin...
Donating Member
Registered
I just got the news that I have an interview with the police department on Tuesday night! Any tips? Not sure what to expect.

i had two....

one was CHP, it very hardcore....almost like an interogation. the second was LAPD, more relaxed.

they both asked "why do you want to be a cop"....

they both wanted to know that i was serious about it, and that i had done some research and gone on a ride-along...so that i knew what the job was, not just what i thought it would be thru watching TV.

if you have not done a ride-along, call and schedule one with your local PD.

i had two....

one was CHP, it very hardcore....almost like an interogation. the second was LAPD, more relaxed.

they both asked "why do you want to be a cop"....

they both wanted to know that i was serious about it, and that i had done some research and gone on a ride-along...so that i knew what the job was, not just what i thought it would be thru watching TV.

if you have not done a ride-along, call and schedule one with your local PD.

I have not done a ride along. I do have family that is LEO and have seen/heard the good and bad through them. I do need to schedule a ride. I won't be able to do it before Tuesday though. I have another physcical/written test for a different department on Saturday.

I have not done a ride along. I do have family that is LEO and have seen/heard the good and bad through them. I do need to schedule a ride. I won't be able to do it before Tuesday though. I have another physcical/written test for a different department on Saturday.

schedule a ride-along...they may not ask, but atleast if they do you will have an answer. you will seem better prepared. family thing will help, be sure to tell them that you talked to family members that were LEO.

Good luck man! I need to get in a slightly better shape and im gonna go start looking for a dept as well, it is hard as **** though around Chicago, not a lot of dept's are hiring and those that are hire only one guy from 300 applicants and Chicago is still a no go thanks to Daley.

relax man it'll be ok just answer honestly and take your time with your responses. Use past experience as it would relate to the job you'll be fine just be yourself. And good luck let us know how it turns out.:thumbsup:

good luck with your interview, this might help, i just read on CNN that the gov. just approved a 1 billion dollar stimulous to all states to hire more LEO.

yah its not too bad man . I was a LEO for a few years. Not al the craziness like u see on cops most of the calls were domestic disputes.

Be prepared to give some of your weaknesses and also some of your strengths. Seems everyone interview I went to asked that question. Also if your asked, let them know you hhave/had a job, but you are looking for a career. That way they won't think you will just use them for experience and then move on to a bigger agency etc... Good luck and I sure hope you know what you are getting into:laugh: . I've been doing it for almost ten years and I still like it but I'll never be a rich man. In fact we just got word that our lovely commisioners are going to cut our pay by $2000.00 a year per employee. Aint that some SH*&. no raise but there gonna take some because they can't balance the budget:banghead:. Oh well sorry to digress... again good luck.

be sure of your self, they are interviewing you for a reason, u r supposed to be there and you want to be.

good luck :beerchug:

Every step of this entire process has made me a nervous wreck. I have passed all of them so far. Hopefully this one is no different. :beerchug:

...just cry alot. Then stare off for a while.

Oh, ask them if you can hold their gun while you talk.

just kidding.. I have no useful info for you, most of my "interviews" were of the other nature.:laugh:

Good luck to ya. Take a deep breath, be honest and be yourself. Has been good to me for thirteen years so far.

Back