Interview Question ?

Robert, wear full leathers, helmet and dark tinted face shield. You have to demonstrate who you really are. Doyle (ps probably ok to unzip the neck and take gloves off during interview only)

as others have said, you probably made the right decision. From an interview standpoint you always dress to impress for the job you are applying to do. If you are going into an office environment a suit is probably expected, at least from the "right candidate". If you were interviewing for a job as a tradesman, I might be impressed if you showed up with your gear or samples of your work/portfolio but still dressed nicely.

Let me ask you this about the suit. How many do you own? Does this new one fit you well, do you look good in it? Has your weight been fairly steady for a few years (ie can you expect to wear it for a while)? Is it one of the standard "power suit" colors (blue, gray, black)?

If you say you have 100 suits in the closet and just "wanted something new", unless your existing suits were all 1970s models...eh she might be ok with busting your chops :laugh: If you can answer yes to the other questions, eh, just remind her how much she spends on dresses / blouses / matching accessories each year. Your one $750 purchase probably doesnt even come close to the amount she spends over the same time period :thumbsup:

The suit was a good call. $750 is a lot if your budget is super tight but a suit was a good call. I have hired dozens of people and how you carry yourself goes a long way. Be sure to have good body language, sit up straight, look them in the eye and make sure your responses are quick and to the point. You don’t want to give short one word answers but you don’t want to be long winded either. Practice so you don’t stutter and have pre-planned responses about what your strength and weakness are with specific examples of how you handled the situations. As others have stated, you don’t get a second chance to make a first impression.

Umm...

A few things to remember when it comes to interviews.

1. Know as much as possible, past publicly available information on the prospective employer- Do some research. Companies like to know that new employees are more in tune and in mesh with their Corporate strategy and recent events. Do an exhaustive search about what's going on within the place, it always looks good to a potential employer if you have some insight into the 'Global"view before they hire you.

2. Ask questions- Cannot stress this enough. Don't ask the basic benefits questions either, step 1 should have informed you of what those are. Ask crucial questions about the process, cycle times, Andon system, Engineering practices, Quality Metrics etc so that the employer knows you have a more in depth perspective about what you're getting into. Additionally, this will give you an opportunity to identify exactly how your resume ties into the work because you can interrelate prior experiences in prior employment.

3. Go in with an idea- What did you do before that worked, saved money, stabilized production, yielded better metrics etc. At minimum ask them how they have faired with those types of practices or projects and be ready to illustrate how YOU have succeeeded with those same experiences.

4. Ask for an operational Tour-If it applies. And don't take the "just nod my head tour", become interactive and ask REAL questions. It's ok to ask about any problems an employer has with a system or a process because maybe you can shed light on how to fix them what venues to try, or simply indicate that the issue presents a good challenge for you that would like a chance to resolve.

5. Dress Code- Yup already covered. go with the suit, but like zuk said, make sure it fits well.

6. Dont turn the employer into a dentist-a prospective employer shouldn't have to lead you down the conversational path, be ready to follow along and give the information they want without them asking you 3 or 4 times.

7. Don't be afraid to say "I don't understand"- Acronyms are seldom the same from company to company. You called it something at X employer they call it Y somewhere else. Employers can tell if what they say just flew over your head. It's ok to say " I'm sorry what does CFM stand for? Oh ok, we called it CBS in X company, I'm sorry please continue" this is also key because an employer may get the perception you really don't know the JOB when it's actually just the acronym...

8. Yup be early- Protocol dictates 15 minutes. Anything longer causes an employer to think you can't manage time and unless you left the house at 7 you can't manage a 9am interview. DRY RUN. Always drive to the employer several times that weekend marking alternate routes to get there so that you can time yourself right on. Nothing worse than being late for the interview because of traffic, you should have been prepared.

9. Mandatory uplifting Song- Yup it works. Something that gets you pumped up enough that it lifts you and makes you feel good. Listen to it on the way to the interview so that it feeds your soul.

10. Practice the interview- You can make up some good questions, now have someone ask them to you several times so you can refine your answers, TRUST me on this, it works. The actual best way is to have the friend interview you and you video record it, this will help you see all the fidgety quirky behaviors you have before you display them this way you can refine your skills before sitting down with the employer.

As a follow on to 10-

Top 10 annoying behaviors I have seen when I interview someone:

1. Abuse of the stupid transitional pseudo word "umm". I had an interview with a person for an hour, and they said "um" 60 times.
2. Pen Clicking- Nervous habits are crazy, keep your hands empty
3. Cutting off the person speaking-Just plain rude.
4. Excessive leg crossing, left leg right leg left leg right leg.....do you have hemorrhoids?:laugh:
5. Dishoveled appearance- A suit only looks good with the tie PROPERLY tied and sinched up. Don't try to make the suit look "casual", its a SUIT.
6. Doing something while waiting OTHER than reading. Really? the Mp3, Ipad etc can stay at home, and NO CALLS prior.
7. Cologne dunking- Its ok, really a GOOD thing to smell good. But not like someone dipped you in it.
8. Asking about, and preoccupied with the Pay. Get the interview out of the way and they will tell you what the pay is if they want you.
9. Repetition- You shoud not be using the SAME example over and over to answer all the interviweres questions. This is where practice pays off. 1 answer is NOT the answer to everything.
10. Assumptions- Don't assume alliances with sports, towns, states etc. Sucks to say "hey how about those Ravens" and the person hates them and hates Baltimore because they grew up in LA. and now they hate you because you LOVE the ravens. Leave personal issues out of it unless asked what kinds of hobbies you enjoy. IF asked about those hobbies, don't say anything like motorcycling (yup I said it) or anything that can be perceived as tied to a "season". Employers are keen to "he's a hunter and whn hunting season starts he won't be here". Don't do that to yourself, pick something like History, or something beningn like the Civil War or something :laugh:

Hope any of this helps you or anyone else for that matter.

Oh and yeah..I'm back:whistle:

Umm...

1. Know as much as possible, past publicly available information on the prospective employer- Do some research. Companies like to know that new employees are more in tune and in mesh with their Corporate strategy and recent events. Do an exhaustive search about what's going on within the place, it always looks good to a potential employer if you have some insight into the 'Global"view before they hire you.

2. Ask questions- Cannot stress this enough. Don't ask the basic benefits questions either, step 1 should have informed you of what those are. Ask crucial questions about the process, cycle times, Andon system, Engineering practices, Quality Metrics etc so that the employer knows you have a more in depth perspective about what you're getting into. Additionally, this will give you an opportunity to identify exactly how your resume ties into the work because you can interrelate prior experiences in prior employment.

3. Go in with an idea- What did you do before that worked, saved money, stabilized production, yielded better metrics etc. At minimum ask them how they have faired with those types of practices or projects and be ready to illustrate how YOU have succeeeded with those same experiences.

4. Ask for an operational Tour-If it applies. And don't take the "just nod my head tour", become interactive and ask REAL questions. It's ok to ask about any problems an employer has with a system or a process because maybe you can shed light on how to fix them what venues to try, or simply indicate that the issue presents a good challenge for you that would like a chance to resolve.

5. Dress Code- Yup already covered. go with the suit, but like zuk said, make sure it fits well.

6. Dont turn the employer into a dentist-a prospective employer shouldn't have to lead you down the conversational path, be ready to follow along and give the information they want without them asking you 3 or 4 times.

7. Don't be afraid to say "I don't understand"- Acronyms are seldom the same from company to company. You called it something at X employer they call it Y somewhere else. Employers can tell if what they say just flew over your head. It's ok to say " I'm sorry what does CFM stand for? Oh ok, we called it CBS in X company, I'm sorry please continue" this is also key because an employer may get the perception you really don't know the JOB when it's actually just the acronym...

8. Yup be early- Protocol dictates 15 minutes. Anything longer causes an employer to think you can't manage time and unless you left the house at 7 you can't manage a 9am interview. DRY RUN. Always drive to the employer several times that weekend marking alternate routes to get there so that you can time yourself right on. Nothing worse than being late for the interview because of traffic, you should have been prepared.

9. Mandatory uplifting Song- Yup it works. Something that gets you pumped up enough that it lifts you and makes you feel good. Listen to it on the way to the interview so that it feeds your soul.

10. Practice the interview- You can make up some good questions, now have someone ask them to you several times so you can refine your answers, TRUST me on this, it works. The actual best way is to have the friend interview you and you video record it, this will help you see all the fidgety quirky behaviors you have before you display them this way you can refine your skills before sitting down with the employer.

As a follow on to 10-

1. Abuse of the stupid transitional pseudo word "umm". I had an interview with a person for an hour, and they said "um" 60 times.
4. Excessive leg crossing, left leg right leg left leg right leg.....do you have hemorrhoids?:laugh:
5. Dishoveled appearance- A suit only looks good with the tie PROPERLY tied and sinched up. Don't try to make the suit look "casual", its a SUIT.
6. Doing something while waiting OTHER than reading. Really? the Mp3, Ipad etc can stay at home, and NO CALLS prior.
7. Cologne dunking- Its ok, really a GOOD thing to smell good. But not like someone dipped you in it.
8. Asking about, and preoccupied with the Pay. Get the interview out of the way and they will tell you what the pay is if they want you.
9. Repetition- You shoud not be using the SAME example over and over to answer all the interviweres questions. This is where practice pays off. 1 answer is NOT the answer to everything.
10. Assumptions- Don't assume alliances with sports, towns, states etc. Sucks to say "hey how about those Ravens" and the person hates them and hates Baltimore because they grew up in LA. and now they hate you because you LOVE the ravens. Leave personal issues out of it unless asked what kinds of hobbies you enjoy. IF asked about those hobbies, don't say anything like motorcycling (yup I said it) or anything that can be perceived as tied to a "season". Employers are keen to "he's a hunter and whn hunting season starts he won't be here". Don't do that to yourself, pick something like History, or something beningn like the Civil War or something :laugh:

great advice for anyone... :thumbsup::thumbsup:

and about time you showed back up MEATHEAD :moon: :laugh:

Always a suit. I interview people often and sometimes they ask. If they do I always say formal. If we spend plant floor time we will provide overalls.

Umm...

As a follow on to 10-

Sorry Lycan your over qualified for a job... :laugh:

If you go back for a 2nd or 3rd interview change up the suit a bit...different shirt / tie. Appearance may make up for a fumbled question...it simply shows that you care. Get some info on any employer...having some background details is always a plus.

and about time you showed back up MEATHEAD :moon: :laugh:[/QUOTE]

Umm yeah, I'd say..

bit busy lately, we gotta catch up meng, when you coming down?

The Suit was a good call. It is a must for law enforcement interview and they issue the uniforms when your hired. Just goes to show you need to impress the people.

If you were one of 20 applicants and you wore a suit instead of a nice shirt and slacks like every one else you just put your self in the front of their minds. The suit did its job.

Might it suggest a Red tie. Also known as a power tie. It was one tip from my interview training. Perhaps one of the board members who owns a business or interviews might back me up on that one. I have a deep red tie that hasn't failed me yet. Then again knowing what you are doing is a good thing too.

Suit, even though we are business casual here, i see a lot of new grads coming in with suits on, got to remember jobs are very hard to come by that first impression means a lot

Dress for the job you want, not the job you have.
Avoid cologne, if the person interviewing you doesn't like it, you're off to a bad start.
Have sensible questions about the job/company/compensation thought out so when they ask if you have any questions you don't look like an idiot.
Eye contact, clear speaking, no gum or chew, pop a breath mint discreetly before you enter.
Short, concise answers to questions.
Think positively about the interview before it happens. Think positively about yourself also, confidence shows, self-doubt shows also.
Keep this adage in mind: It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt.

Something else, even if you did all your research and know the company better than he does ask questions even if you know the answers. Don't let it be a one way conversation, you ask intelligent questions it'll show interest in the company.

Back