My final thoughts on a turbo Hayabusa

hendrixgr

Registered
I wasn't sure if i would like to share my thoughts about my turbo Hayabusa project but finally i decided to go ahead and post them.
Anyway the whole project started because i needed something different than the ready made available bikes and soon i found my self reading and absorbing any information available
on the Web, something that ultimately lead me to the Hayabusa.org site (and a couple well known related sites).
After stealthily reading for about one year i decided to buy a 2007 gen1 in almost perfectly new condition for about 6000 dollars, have fun with it for about 4 years while at the same time i was slowly buying the parts needed.
In my mind especially after reading many horror stories, it was evident that if i was to go turbo i needed to buy the very best parts especially on the budget i was on.
Expensive almost always is cheaper in the long run so i had to succeed the first time otherwise i would go bust as i would need one or more years in order to save enough money for a costly repair
not to mention hearing my wife complaining every day like i died and went to hell...

I was fortunate enough to strike a very good deal for an almost new Mcxpress MCX500 turbo with air to water intercooler (later i exchanged the turbo unit a smaller MCX400 turbo) for 2500 dollars
something that kick started the whole project.
I found the most reputable mechanic-tuner in the whole country (remember i live in Greece and turbo bikes are not something common around here)
and 3 weeks and 4000 dollars later (with full exhaust and some other bits and pieces) i got the bike in my hands.
I can still remember how scared i was after my first 6th gear acceleration unlike now that i feel that i need some more boost:laugh::laugh::laugh:
I bought the bike in 2009 and made it turbo in September of 2014 after 32000 miles and yes i bought the Hayabusa to make it turbo from the start, it just took me more time that i expected.

I would also like to say that i have learned some much in here that i can now tune my bike (with a wideband and with the kind help of the most knowledgeable people in here of course)
and understand what modifications i need to schedule for the future.
Right now i am very happy, my bike is very reliable, it feels very smooth at 270 rw hp and pump gas and it can pass any inspection, i feel kind off liberated from the urge to buy a new bike of any make.
With a small amount of money (each time i need a fresh feeling) i can upgraded her with new brakes etc. keeping her fit and on top for many years to come.

My advice to those who want to go the turbo way is that you need to have patience, buy only the best parts as it is far cheaper in the long run, definitely install an intercooler and make sure that you assign the job to someone experienced with motorcycle turbo installation and tuning.
I feel that the Hayabusa turbo does worth every dollar (or Euro) i have spent and all the pain that i endured while saving my money.
Save money as spending money is easy, earning it and saving it is bit more difficult at least for me not to mention that if i was to start the project now i would had never succeeded as my income was further reduced the last 3 years.
I have never took a loan and i never will, i spent only the actual money i have saved.
As a foot note here is a picture that i think shows exactly what i think of my HAYABUSA turbo...
Chris

DSC_0051.jpg

Congrats on the turbo build. I remember the first ride back home from picking it up at Power house for the tune. WOW, is all I can say. That first time it hit proper boost, it scared the heck out of me.

Wise info! thank you, Also I love to see Busa inside a house!!!
I believe that a well built and cared turbo Hayabusa is a piece of art thus it can't be parked outside not to mention that closely guarding her is the only reason i still got her.
The Hayabusa is the number one choice for the thieves here ???
Btw the guns and enough ammo are not visible :firing:
Chris

lets see some video of it running. whats the speed limit over there?
Hi.
I will shoot a video this week.
The speed limit here is 120Km/h (75 miles/h)
but if i get caught over speeding more than 150km/h (120+150) then i get a 700 dollar fine and some months in jail :laugh:
Remember i said if i get caught....
Well the economy is such that i doubt that there is even one police car or motorcycle here that has a full tank of gas or can go over 180-200km/h
without bursting a tyre.
Even the automatic speed traps that use a camera are out of film :laugh:
Chris

thats some funny chit right there:rofl:

Hi.
I will shoot a video this week.
The speed limit here is 120Km/h (75 miles/h)
but if i get caught over speeding more than 150km/h (120+150) then i get a 700 dollar fine and some months in jail :laugh:
Remember i said if i get caught....
Well the economy is such that i doubt that there is even one police car or motorcycle here that has a full tank of gas or can go over 180-200km/h
without bursting a tyre.
Even the automatic speed traps that use a camera are out of film :laugh:
Chris

About the situation here i will try to give you an idea.
I have lived and worked both in USA and here for many years and i can tell you that the situation here reminds me of a volcano, it will erupt soon.
The huge loans that you hear on tv never got to the average joe, they are just logistic entries between banks across Europe.
Simple people soon they will have nothing left to loose so the outcome is pretty predictable.
Greece will default eventually not because it hasn't enough money to pay (Greece is a very very rich country in resources) but out of reaction to the "lenders" that want to "steal"
assets worth trillions of dollars like pure drinking water, uranium, nickel, aluminum, gold, oil, gas and other precious minerals.
Being a agricultural and tourist's nation Greece has all of it's resources nearly intact unlike many fully industrialized nations.
The politicians here were at least until now (something is changing to the better) puppets and thieves for over 40 years and of course they were always elected by us so we are all to blame and pay (but pay a fair amount not with our lives), no one here is denying that.
Enough about the situation here, if the moderator thinks that i shouldn't post this here (i did it for educational reasons only) please forgive me in advance and feel free to delete my post.

About testing the bike i want to make clear that although i occasionally break the speed limit enough for a life sentence:laugh: , i do it selectively during holidays, odd hours when everybody is sleeping and in remote areas out of town.
Chris

Back