My conversation with a young teenage gentleman.

Ken, I think you did the right thing and in the right way. Maybe one day he will better understand and follow your lead. It is as always better to handle things in a nice way if at all possible.

Much nicer than I probably would have been...

I would have said "I remember when I was young and stupid, and had no idea what I was talking about either!":lol:

Yep, depending how he came across this probably would have been my thoughts as well... :laugh:

I would have invited him to call his buddy and have him bring over his 600 for a friendly competition :laugh:.

I like doing that when they talk about how fast there bike/car is and haven't got a clue.....they shut up real fast when you tell them you are ready for him to prove it right now.... :rofl:

I have had that sort of thing happen too. Often the kids are just prodding you to give them info to go back and tell their friend his 600 ain't all that! I told one group of kids: "Son on this side of the bike are 2 cylinders, those two right there are bigger than a 600. I got two more on the other side too! The Hayabusa is the fastest production bike ever made - that's a fact and it's a legend because of it. I like all motorcycles, but with all of the bikes that have been made only maybe 2 or 3 can claim the status the Hayabusa can. Now a kid ain't going to appreciate history, they want the latest "thing" out there. The Hayabusa has been beating the latest thing bikes for more than 10 years. You have to respect this bike because it's the king, and it's power will humble any rider. That's why the Hayabusa is a man's bike." You should have seen the kids face when I told them that. I can't wait to see the kid with the new bike when those kids tell him they all want Hayabusas :laugh:

....and finally, I agree!

Kids are getting dumber and dumber and why? Because people are failing to educate them. They heard something from a buddy or see it on a video game, etc..and think that's the truth. If someone doesn't educate them properly the wrong people will... :beerchug:

You can,t fix stupid.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

199740_259032797557950_1374161699_n.png

Much nicer than I probably would have been...

I would have said "I remember when I was young and stupid, and had no idea what I was talking about either!":lol:
And you would have been much nicer than me.........I'll just leave it at that :laugh:
I don't suffer the new generation of rude young fools well at all :mad2:

I can't tell you how many times I have customers in my office doing the paperwork on their new bike, that have friends with them who have a HD. They proceed to tell me about all the performance mods they have made and how fast their bike is. At some point they will ask what I ride. I have a picture of my busa on the wall, and when I point to it and say, that's my bike, the usual response is, "your crazy"!:laugh:

It's my opinion that a Hayabusa is easier to ride than most sport bikes. You can actually pull off from a stand still in 3rd gear on a busa. You can ride all day in third gear too. The weight takes a bit of attention at low speed but other than that (assuming you can keep your throttle hand in check) it's an extremely easy bike to live with - pretty much does what you tell it to do. Certainly it's easier than a 900 lb HD. I rode one of those and I was constantly shifting and managing the weight at low speed is definitely a learned skill.

You did the right thing. Truth is, he didn't want to learn anything and he probably doesn't care. At best, that was just his way of trying to let you know he knows something about bikes. He just has crappy social skills. He didn't say HE has a 600. He has a "friend" who has a 600. He has no idea what a Hayabusa is. He either read one magazine article about a mystery 600 while waiting on his mom at Barnes and Noble, or he overhead the cool kids in school talking about their new bikes. Now he knows all there is to know.

Your response was perfect. Mine would have been, "Because it's more comfortable for someone my size" and let it go at that.

I get the same thing when I have my Viper out. Every kid wants to let me know they have a "friend" whose car, truck, station wagon, or scooter is faster. I don't have the time to argue with them and explain that my car makes 1020 rwhp on pump gas and runs 9's all day long in full street trim (on good tires). I just tell them how cool their friends truck, car, station wagon or scooter sounds and that I bought the Viper because it looks cool and chicks dig it. That usually gets a smile and a nod and ends the conversation pretty quickly. And I don't look like an ass.

Well played, sir.

You did the right thing. Truth is, he didn't want to learn anything and he probably doesn't care. At best, that was just his way of trying to let you know he knows something about bikes. He just has crappy social skills. He didn't say HE has a 600. He has a "friend" who has a 600. He has no idea what a Hayabusa is. He either read one magazine article about a mystery 600 while waiting on his mom at Barnes and Noble, or he overhead the cool kids in school talking about their new bikes. Now he knows all there is to know.

Your response was perfect. Mine would have been, "Because it's more comfortable for someone my size" and let it go at that.

I get the same thing when I have my Viper out. Every kid wants to let me know they have a "friend" whose car, truck, station wagon, or scooter is faster. I don't have the time to argue with them and explain that my car makes 1020 rwhp on pump gas and runs 9's all day long in full street trim (on good tires). I just tell them how cool their friends truck, car, station wagon or scooter sounds and that I bought the Viper because it looks cool and chicks dig it. That usually gets a smile and a nod and ends the conversation pretty quickly. And I don't look like an ass.

Well played, sir.

Pics of the viper are needed, I love those things. Im thinkin it'll be next when the STi goes away.

Stuff like that happens all the time to me unfortunately and unfortunately I dont know how to deal with it. Wish I was as patient as you!

i had a similar experience when a few of my friends and i were stopped at the local napa for a smoke/BS/chew break. the 16 or 17 year old pulled into the parking lot in an old cutlas supreme with a spray painted "GT SUPREME" on the lower portion of the door and proceeded to rev up his motor to which his glasspack exhaust on the automatic spit sputter and back fired before getting out of the car.

he then approached us and our bikes eye balling the CBR 954 belonging to my friend and decided to tell him he would smoke the bike in his car. ???
we all looked at each other and chuckled and said ok perhaps we shall see on the drag strip (which never happened)
he then proceeded to tell us he was purchasing a brand new GSXR1200 (specifically the year that the gsxr was not released to the states i believe it was 2010 or 2011) anyways.... we then proceeded to howl laughing hysterically and asked him if he was planning to fly to japan, by 2 gsxr600's and then duck tape them together?

He responded saying that they were real he found one on the internet and it was $3000 (he pronounced it as "Thirty Hundred") he became flustered as we told him he should buy it and let us ride it whilst chuckling uncontrollably. so when he pulled out of the parking lot, he revved his engine once more while holding the break, then quickly released the break and shot BACKWARDS into the napa sign ..... :laugh:

was an entertaining evening in our small little town. :lol:

Come on guys, we were all young and dumb at one time. We all had to learn. Play nice and when all niceness fails, call them out on the track.

i had a similar experience when a few of my friends and i were stopped at the local napa for a smoke/BS/chew break. the 16 or 17 year old pulled into the parking lot in an old cutlas supreme with a spray painted "GT SUPREME" on the lower portion of the door and proceeded to rev up his motor to which his glasspack exhaust on the automatic spit sputter and back fired before getting out of the car.

he then approached us and our bikes eye balling the CBR 954 belonging to my friend and decided to tell him he would smoke the bike in his car. ???
we all looked at each other and chuckled and said ok perhaps we shall see on the drag strip (which never happened)
he then proceeded to tell us he was purchasing a brand new GSXR1200 (specifically the year that the gsxr was not released to the states i believe it was 2010 or 2011) anyways.... we then proceeded to howl laughing hysterically and asked him if he was planning to fly to japan, by 2 gsxr600's and then duck tape them together?

He responded saying that they were real he found one on the internet and it was $3000 (he pronounced it as "Thirty Hundred") he became flustered as we told him he should buy it and let us ride it whilst chuckling uncontrollably. so when he pulled out of the parking lot, he revved his engine once more while holding the break, then quickly released the break and shot BACKWARDS into the napa sign ..... :laugh:

was an entertaining evening in our small little town. :lol:
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Back