I saved a young riders life

mynewride

Registered
Some of you may know that I have enrolled in college to pursue a new career in engineering. Being this is my first sememster in 14 years I have to take everything over. In my english class I sit next to a 19 year old adolescent that seems to be pretty cool. We chat in class and what not. Anyhow when we get a day that is supposed to be about 60 in the afternoon i load up my heated gear and hit the road for work in the morning at 28 degrees. When i get off work I head to class on a beautiful afternoon. As Im parking my bike in the farthest stall from the school ( Butler CC has no motorcycle parking), up rolls a nice 2010 zx-10. He wheels in next to me in the same stall and i realize its Dillon from English. He's not wearing a helmet, however he is wearing a riding jacket.

So I figure its his own perogative right, but i couldnt help myself and i told myself I would only say it once, " Where the hell's your helmet!" Then I politely explained to him the importance of all the gear all the time even if its to hit the carwash 3 blocks from home. He said he understood, but it was just a short ride through town (Wichita Metro area). So it was cool that he wasnt offended by my speach about helmets, but I truely didnt think anything sank in...he was just 19 and all. So fast forward 4 weeks and we get some really nice weather. Surprise we both ride again and guess what he was wearing this time. Thats right his lid.

He told me that he actually thought about it that night when he got home and decided that I was older and wiser and was probably right about wearing the gear. He said he had not left the house without it since my little talk. he said he remembered his buddy that crashed on kellogg (busiest freeway in Wichita, ks) at 65 mph with no lid. he got very lucky an only had a few small bruises and no one ran him over.

Anyhow Im convinced that I have saved his life. Its only a matter of time before the accident happens. his buddies never wear helmets, so im sure that is why he didnt.
My neighbor was killed in a 2mph collision 3 blocks from home when he was bumped an knocked over. his head hit the concrete and they could not stop the internal sweeling of the brain. The bike had one scratch and he was unscathed except for his noggin.

if only more would listen to us like that.. anyway nice job:thumbsup:

Good for you...I ride with a lot of folks on both sides of the State border MO and KS. Always amazes me to see the KS guys stopping at the state borders to stop and strap on their helmets, and then even worse on their way back in to KS they stop and take them off again...

ATGATT, All the Gear, All the Time...I may be a hot sweaty mess come July and August, but I prefer my skin wear it is, and my brains in place...

I bet he has a mom who is very thankful you had that talk with him. Glad he took your advice.

Nice, good to hear that you actually "stepped out of bounds" to get the kid to see whats important! Kudos to you and to the kid for understanding!:thumbsup:

I like this post alot ...alot of the guys here in decatur il. think its uncool to wear a helmet, they see it as people thinking they are amatures rookies stupid ect. ...I enjoy wearing my helmet although sometimes it can get a little heavy at times on your neck lol . I like listening to music and no bugs in my beard or stash :laugh: but most important i want to see my kids when my ride is over ...

and i would also like to say not everyone thinks this way jmo and what i often hear ...i also understand why helmets are bad. ie : hard to hear somethings..less vision ...things that help you to avoid the accident if possible , but i say if i was ever in a crash i would definitly want something to protect my head

Good for you!! Nothing wrong with being a positive influence in a fellow rider's life :thumbsup:

:thumbsup::thumbsup: Very cool. I have had the "gear" talk with a young intern working with me several times. Just today again, actually. Although we always have to have a helmet in VA. I won't ride without one regardless.

Its funny when I walk into the plant at coleman with all my gear on and everyone stops and stares. They act like my skin is green and I have only one eye in my forehead...lol. I still don't care. I just smile and wave. :cool:

I wish my friends at work listened to me like that. But, I'm in my 20s and most of them are in their late 40s and early 50s. You know how it goes. They all look at me like: " Oh this punk can be my son and here he is telling me what to do" Nobody listens to the kid! Guess what they all ride??????? Yeap........... Harleys.

I wear it personally cause i cant stand crap hitting my face:laugh:

You'll see me at times in just a vest, no jacket/vest but never without jeans, gloves and helmet!

:beerchug: Good Job Brotha.....ATGATT !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kudos to the kid as well for not being bull-headed !!!

Back