My conversation with a young teenage gentleman.

kml

Donating Member
Registered
Went out for a ride this fall and I stopped at a grocery store to pick up some coffee cream (gotta have coffee cream) when a young man aged fourteen or fifteen approached me.

I remember being that age, and young men approach me all the time to talk bikes and I always indulge them.

With out so much as a hello he said, "What did you buy that bike for, the new six hundreds are faster."

I was dumbstruck. Did he mean on a drag strip, top speed, a roll on from a dig, around a road race course? Is faster the only criterion that a bike is to be judged by? Why does anybody buy a particular model of bike? I'll grant him that on a road course with equal riders who can extract a bikes maximum performance a six hundred would be faster, but I doubt he but that much thought into his statement. Did he not realize it was a Busa?

Then I was struck by inspiration, why swim against a huge river of ignorance when you can go with the flow. So standing there next to a bike with thousands of dollars of mods, in full leathers, age fifty and an Arai helmet tucked under my arm I said, "Well this is my first bike and I didn't know much about bike when I bought it."

That seemed to satisfy him and he said, "Yeah the new six hundreds are faster, I would have bought a new six hundred, my friend has a new six hundred, and it's faster."

To which I replied, "Buying this bike was not my first mistake in life and I'm sure it won't be my last."

He looked at me for a second longer and without so much as a "See ya later" he turned and walked away.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I think I made the right decision to go with the flow, what say you?

cheers
ken

One day he will see the speed channel or discovery channel specials on the busa and think to himself about this day and know he was an idiot...

Much nicer than I probably would have been...

I would have said "I remember when I was young and stupid, and had no idea what I was talking about either!":lol:

My way to go with the flow: ''I know, i have a 600 just for racing, this is good only for buying cream! And you, what do you drive''? :laugh:

this is why i just glare at people until they go talk to twotonevert, Cap, GSXcite, Busawhipped, or whoever else i am riding with that day...i don't have much patience with idiots! i think you handled it very well! :beerchug:

I have had that sort of thing happen too. Often the kids are just prodding you to give them info to go back and tell their friend his 600 ain't all that! I told one group of kids: "Son on this side of the bike are 2 cylinders, those two right there are bigger than a 600. I got two more on the other side too! The Hayabusa is the fastest production bike ever made - that's a fact and it's a legend because of it. I like all motorcycles, but with all of the bikes that have been made only maybe 2 or 3 can claim the status the Hayabusa can. Now a kid ain't going to appreciate history, they want the latest "thing" out there. The Hayabusa has been beating the latest thing bikes for more than 10 years. You have to respect this bike because it's the king, and it's power will humble any rider. That's why the Hayabusa is a man's bike." You should have seen the kids face when I told them that. I can't wait to see the kid with the new bike when those kids tell him they all want Hayabusas :laugh:

BTW: I have had the opposite conversation with HD guys: " That things a 1300 huh? "Well this HD is a 1800, lots of power - that's why I love HD's." "Well sir, I love HD's too but this bike has more power than the HD's you and your buddy are riding put together, and it's a lot lighter too.!"

Back