My Busa Overhaul

Send it to FAST BY GAST,
and have them recommend what you should do,
Just an undercut, is what i have done on the build i do, and it runs $365, with no complaints!

I would also talk to who ever is doing the cylinder head, and let them know, that exhaust you are running.

That D&D is not a big HP pipe! You may want to look around for something with a little more back pressure!

Such as the Brock, or Arka, and Ti-force!

ahhh good ol military bases i still have a current M.I.D so they at least wont gimme too much sh#&! lol
im always down to help out especially when it comes to learning new things and seeing new places :beerchug:
gunships would be cool to see ...dont get to see em much when youre on the ground driving in a stryker lol :laugh:

keep the updates comin we shall have to ride someday :beerchug:

From what I've seen, it doesn't seem to be too much to just trim the dogs down. If I can figure out the angles they are cutting off, I think I can do it with my damn dremel. It just doesn't seem like so much work goes into it that it should cost an arm and a leg. I mean, if all they are doing is putting small angles in the dogs from a 90 degree to, say, an 80 degree, I can do that with a protractor and my dremel.

Bubbawood - I'm down to ride as soon as she's back together. I gotta get her out to my guy in Alb. to get her dyno tuned (prolly gonna trailer her there lol).

I've emailed several shops about parts, shops that GixerHP, and a few others suggested as well as shops I just stumbled upon while searching online. Hopefully some will get a hold of me and we can get the parts ordered this week.

My frame is almost completely done. Masking off for the last bit of "blacking out" was a pain in the ass due to the little parts I didn't want to take off. Laziness is a bish.

I'm looking into Ti-Force or Akro for an exhaust now. We'll see what happens with that.

Still looking for good, used aftermarket parts...

Also, looking for a lowered kickstand. I picked mine up yesterday and didn't realize how heavy it was. I picked up a (WAY) larger chunk of aluminum and realized how much LESS it weighed. Why does the kickstand have to way 47 lbs????

More updates coming soon!

:beerchug: to everyone helping! I really hope to ride with ya'll in the future :beerchug:

Seems like you are pretty handy with tools. Why don't you cut down your current kickstand and weld it back together. I have one like that.

Thought about that. I'm gonna try that first before I spend $100 on one. Pics to follow

Seems like you are pretty handy with tools. Why don't you cut down your current kickstand and weld it back together. I have one like that.

I've been meaning to say this for a minute but keep getting sidetracked.

I sincerely hope this thread helps someone in the future. Whether they stumble upon it by Google or someone on here recommends it.

This thread is about doing stuff to mod the Busa WITHOUT having to go to a custom bike builder to get it done. Everything done thus far has been from my own hands and I want this to help someone else if it can.

From paint and body, to engine tear down and build up, to swingarm modification, YOU CAN DO IT ALL! I DO recommend taking parts to places for fabrication if you don't know how to, or don't have the means to, do the work yourself (i.e. aluminum welding).

Coming up in this thread is the cutting and welding of the kickstand, fiberglass work on the fairings, wiring and mounting a camera to the inside of the headlight, wiring up a DVR for the camera with a switch to make it turn on as soon as you flick it (flick the switch, recording starts), wiring LED lights and showing placement so you only see the glow, not the bulbs. There is so much on here that I'm SURE someone will get some helpful info and THAT is one of my biggest goals for this bike build.

I'm not a professional builder, painter, or welder but I am a bloody knuckle mechanic.

If you are reading this, thank you. All tips are welcome during AND AFTER this build.

Take care and YOU CAN DO ANYTHING!

CameraWiring_zpsc5e6130a.png.html

This should work.......... maybe

MLSDUKE1 said:
Just had a thought. Anyone ever seen the gas tanks with the GPS mounted "on" them and it looks like its integrated into the tank? I might do that.

If I was goin for this I'd try to find a Chinese tank cover that they sell with the plastics set. Then modify that to fit it flush. Then it's removable if you have a problem and can get it pretty waterproof with lexan a rubber gasket and some thumb screws is you ride all year.

After much thought, I've decided to nix the notion of the GPS on the tank thing. Seems a little played out. Right now I'm working on a camera system (if you can see the pic above, that's what I'm trying to do. I don't know if you can see it because my computer here at work just shows a little box with an x in it.) that will be mounted to the bike with a switch to turn it on and a DVR to record the ride. It'd be cool to have several cameras working at once though. Prolly not gonna happen with the multi cam but the 1 cam project is on course.

I'm addicted to redoing my bike. If I come up with some crazy shizz during the process, tell me I'm crazy :cookoo: or :drooling3: brain dead so I'll stop and concentrate on feasable things :laugh:

I am also stubborn and cheap too, but when you get down to the logic of what it is to remove the tranny later, i think your dremel idea, is far fetched!
My time is worth some thing, and when you get right down to it, removing the motor, tearing it down, repairing it, or sending out parts, and then reassembling it.
It is well worth it now while the motor is a apart! A demel is not going to give tyou the precise cut that are needed for the correct dog engagement!
Just my opinion here, but you can do what you want.

From what I've seen, it doesn't seem to be too much to just trim the dogs down. If I can figure out the angles they are cutting off, I think I can do it with my damn dremel. It just doesn't seem like so much work goes into it that it should cost an arm and a leg. I mean, if all they are doing is putting small angles in the dogs from a 90 degree to, say, an 80 degree, I can do that with a protractor and my dremel.

Bubbawood - I'm down to ride as soon as she's back together. I gotta get her out to my guy in Alb. to get her dyno tuned (prolly gonna trailer her there lol).

I've emailed several shops about parts, shops that GixerHP, and a few others suggested as well as shops I just stumbled upon while searching online. Hopefully some will get a hold of me and we can get the parts ordered this week.

My frame is almost completely done. Masking off for the last bit of "blacking out" was a pain in the ass due to the little parts I didn't want to take off. Laziness is a bish.

I'm looking into Ti-Force or Akro for an exhaust now. We'll see what happens with that.

Still looking for good, used aftermarket parts...

Also, looking for a lowered kickstand. I picked mine up yesterday and didn't realize how heavy it was. I picked up a (WAY) larger chunk of aluminum and realized how much LESS it weighed. Why does the kickstand have to way 47 lbs????

More updates coming soon!

:beerchug: to everyone helping! I really hope to ride with ya'll in the future :beerchug:

I am also stubborn and cheap too, but when you get down to the logic of what it is to remove the tranny later, i think your dremel idea, is far fetched!
My time is worth some thing, and when you get right down to it, removing the motor, tearing it down, repairing it, or sending out parts, and then reassembling it.
It is well worth it now while the motor is a apart! A demel is not going to give tyou the precise cut that are needed for the correct dog engagement!
Just my opinion here, but you can do what you want.

Wise words GIXERHP.... There is nothing wrong with saving money and doing as much of the work as possible yourself!

However, there are certain tasks that simply can't be performed by anyone but a professional who knows what they are doing because they have had years of experience. Leave the dremel alone and search for a reasonably priced machine shop. It would certainly be a good idea to have this done whilst the engine is apart...I can tell you from my own experience that it proved to be a very wise decision.

I like your attitude towards this post and the fact that you are here not only for yourself but to help others........
I salute you!!

No matter whether a person has torn apart 50 busa engines or zero there is always something to be learnt and gained......

I can't wait until you get to the engine build stage as I'm keen to see how you put it all together......keep on posting my friend.....:thumbsup:

^^^ Especially if your my wif ^^^ How can it be called saving money if you are buying things we don't need just because they are 50% off at the BX???

Anyone have a good Gen I complete Brocks or Ti-Force system, Used, that they would like to sell or trade? PM me.

If you KNOW someone that does, tell THEM to PM me

Back