My Busa Overhaul

MLSDUKE1

Live from Mom's basement
Registered
I know that every engine has tricks to it to make it easier to remove and install. Any tips on this before Saturday morning would be great! Also, if anyone has pictures of some kind of engine stand that I should use, please feel free to post that as well. Thank you in advance!

I'm removing a Gen I if that helps.

Thanks again!

Re: Need some helpful tips on removing my engine

Take you time and bag all the parts and label them if your not sure for reassembly!
As far as a stand here's a link!

Tiger Racing

Also do you have the chassis tool to remove the engine mounts?

Be careful, we had one fella break an engine mount tab off the frame :whistle:

I'm Grinding some of my sockets for it. A buddy of mine worked at a suzuki shop but never took a busa apart. When I can get back to a computer ima check out the stand. As for the parts bags, I snagged some from work (I'm an aircraft eng mech.) As for lubes and sealants, moly b? Anti seize? Resin epoxy? Red assy lube? Lock-tite? Or is there something specific? I'm about to order the gen I 1441 kit with cams from APE. I've got two torque wrenches (in and ft lbs). Tips on taking the motor out? Lift the bike?

Do you know how to degree cams?

On a Ford? Yes. Chevy? Definitely! Dodge? Not my fave but I can. The Busa? Never done it before but any tips you got will help this first timer. OH, and I also degreed the tiny two lobe cam on my son's 4 wheeler lol

If you have the air box off, throttle cables, fuel lines, exh, coolant lines, chain, loosen the eng mount bolts...leave the bolt in the bottom near the back for last...the eng will pivot down. It is way easier with 2 or 3 people...also set it / let it rest into an old tire bike or car...once the eng is on the ground you can lift the empty frame and forks over the eng. if you have a small floor jack under the eng it may help but will end up being in the way at some point.

I hired this guy.

Suggest you do the same.

8-2-12 095.jpg

Thanks Tim i look like an idiot!

Thanks Tim i look like an idiot!

It just proves that,

A) Looks can be deceiving.

B) You can never judge a book by it's cover.

You have amazing knowledge and talent as a wrench, so don't ever short change yourself.:watching:

that is the look of why are you taking my picture...now eat a wrench

Take a lot of pics for yourself. When you get a part off...take a pic of it and how it looks,,,,,take another part off, take more pics. Label all you rbags and put all the parts and their nuts/bolts in it.

Label a piece of cardboard with an outline of your cases so you can put the bolts in it and be able to put them back in the same hole.

that is the look of why are you taking my picture...now eat a wrench

It's a picture of a motor out of a Busa .

He just happened to step into the shot. :laugh:

Gixxer actually had that pulled in about 90 minutes and at his shop rate , the guy could fly him to New Mexico and still save money, time and aggravation.

It just proves that,

A) Looks can be deceiving.

B) You can never judge a book by it's cover.

You have amazing knowledge and talent as a wrench, so don't ever short change yourself.:watching:

I'll have to agree with that, I don't want to, but its true.

I'd hire this guy, but he looks like he'd hurt me after a few minutes. LOL CRAZY EYES!!!!!

I hired this guy.

Suggest you do the same.

I like the idea of the cardboard! I gotta get a memory card though! Great tips!

Take a lot of pics for yourself. When you get a part off...take a pic of it and how it looks,,,,,take another part off, take more pics. Label all you rbags and put all the parts and their nuts/bolts in it.

Label a piece of cardboard with an outline of your cases so you can put the bolts in it and be able to put them back in the same hole.

If I had the money to fly someone like him out here, I would. But then I wouldn't have the money for the parts meaning I wouldn't need him here which unfortunately becomes a paradox and we all die.......

It's a picture of a motor out of a Busa .

He just happened to step into the shot. :laugh:

Gixxer actually had that pulled in about 90 minutes and at his shop rate , the guy could fly him to New Mexico and still save money, time and aggravation.

without a doubt the pics and cardboard templates to locate bolts and such are needed...something will go wrong...big or small...that is where it is less expensive to pay a guy that has built engines over and over...one example is a broken bolt in the engine case...you start backing out a bolt it gets tight and ping...it breaks off...even on reassembly all the little tricks...double checking the trans forks. It is nice to say you did it yourself but sometimes spending a few extra hundred is well spent to hand it off.

I'd get so much flak at work for being an engine mechanic that has hand built the types of motors I have and hand it off to someone else. The only things I'm not sure about are the types of grease and lubes as well as getting the motor out. I WILL admit that it would probably be better and easier, not to mention SAFER to hand it off to a master mechanic but I'm 99.9% sure my buddy and I can do this.

I have a ton of mechanical skill, every odd gear in a string of gears is going to turn the same way and vice versa. AND I want this to be my project. I've driven someone else's Baretta that they built but it didn't feel NEAR as good as starting that 331 stroker that I built.

Know what I mean?

I'd get so much flak at work for being an engine mechanic that has hand built the types of motors I have and hand it off to someone else. The only things I'm not sure about are the types of grease and lubes as well as getting the motor out. I WILL admit that it would probably be better and easier, not to mention SAFER to hand it off to a master mechanic but I'm 99.9% sure my buddy and I can do this.

I have a ton of mechanical skill, every odd gear in a string of gears is going to turn the same way and vice versa. AND I want this to be my project. I've driven someone else's Baretta that they built but it didn't feel NEAR as good as starting that 331 stroker that I built.

Know what I mean?

I personally don't doubt your mechanical expertise one bit, with all the while appreciating and understanding your desire to make it your project.

It's just that there are 100's of things you need to do to be successful and they can't all be found in the manual. :blowingup:

Best of luck and keep us posted with your progress.

I will! I'm gonna take pictures and whatnot but I haven't found any videos on youtube about taking the motor out at all. How would ya'll like to see a vid about it? Would anyone watch it?

I personally don't doubt your mechanical expertise one bit, with all the while appreciating and understanding your desire to make it your project.

It's just that there are 100's of things you need to do to be successful and they can't all be found in the manual. :blowingup:

Best of luck and keep us posted with your progress.

Back