Engine reliability - Overhaul Rebuild Intervalls

reb

Registered
Hello guys,

I would like to know how much miles in average a standard busa-engine (Gen I) without any modifications can cover before it has to be overhauled/rebuild?

Let's assume the engine was maintenanced regularly and properly, has covered 10k on normal roads but the bike is now beeing driven 90% on the race track only.

How much miles will the clutch and the transmission last in the described above scenario?

Thanks for your help!

i would think that the only issue would be a clutch every so often. i dont think the gears would go any time soon on a track...i had about 36k miles on mine when i started going to the drag strip. within that year i had to replace the clutch but it did have almost 40k on it. then the gears started slipping. If you use good synthetic oil and change it often i think it will be fine. jmo.

I wrote race track and I think there is a pretty clear difference between a race track and a drag strip?

I'm not drag racing. :poke:

:welcome: "race track" is used by alot of drag racers to mean drag strip. The Busa engine is pretty bullet proof in stock form.

This motor had nearly 70,000 miles on it when the video was taken.

- A lap around Barber with skydivr[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's quiet obvious that brake pads, discs, and tyres will have to be replaced very often.

What I'm interested in is the reliability of the engine and transmission.

- Thanks for the infos about the clutch.

I would appreciate more feedback about the reliability of the busa engine!!

I think it's quiet obvious that brake pads, discs, and tyres will have to be replaced very often.

In a humorous way I was trying to tell you that you really won't have to be concerned about the engine as long as you pull maintenance on it. Another member posted it's bullet proof.

I wrote race track and I think there is a pretty clear difference between a race track and a drag strip?

I'm not drag racing. :poke:

UHHHH last I checked a drag strip IS STILL A RACE TRACK. You need to be MORE specific about the type of racing you do. Not everyone road races on a ROAD RACE TRACK some of us (me) DRAG RACE on a DRAG RACE TRACK.
No matter what type of racing you do its still a RACE TRACK.

Just pulled my motor and split cases to send my tranny out for undercut (damn 2nd gear) . Took a light and still can see the hone markings on the cylinders like they were new, and she's got 36k on her!
Posted via Mobile Device

It seems that everything is obvious to YOU so why are you asking us questions. Ride it until it blows up and then you will have the "obvious" answer.

I have 2 customers with over 70K on a stocker and last I heard several (that I built)with 1397 that had over 50k on them

Back