Rebuild, Replace, Or Upgrade To Gen 2 Crate Engine

SR-71

Registered
Hello everyone,

I'm in between a rock and a hard place and I could use a little advice

I have a 2007 Hayabusa 6800 original miles everything is in mint condition but I did manage to spin a rod bearing(long story)

I could use a little help from some of the more experienced guys as to whether to rebuild the engine, purchase a low mileage Gen 1 engine or install a Gen 2 crate engine that I can get at a great price

From what I understand the engine rebuild is really is not worth it but I'm also thinking about resale value when I sell the bike

If I go with the Gen 1 engine I am fairly confident that I can remove and install the engine myself but if I go that route I think I might lose some value on resale?

What do you guys think? I May be able to offset some of the loss with taking the parts off the original motor(head starter transmission etc.) and selling them on eBay?

Lastly, if I purchase the Gen 2 crate engine long block starter an generator installed but I will need everything else. What would be the additional costs associated with this switch? And would it increase or decrease resale value

All replies and helpful suggestions will be greatly appreciated

Thank you for your time and consideration

Yours truly,

SR 71

Hello everyone,

I'm in between a rock and a hard place and I could use a little advice

I have a 2007 Hayabusa 6800 original miles everything is in mint condition but I did manage to spin a rod bearing(long story)

I could use a little help from some of the more experienced guys as to whether to rebuild the engine, purchase a low mileage Gen 1 engine or install a Gen 2 crate engine that I can get at a great price

From what I understand the engine rebuild is really is not worth it but I'm also thinking about resale value when I sell the bike

If I go with the Gen 1 engine I am fairly confident that I can remove and install the engine myself but if I go that route I think I might lose some value on resale?
Hi SR 71. Where are you ? We should talk. my #774-328-2265 ask for mike
What do you guys think? I May be able to offset some of the loss with taking the parts off the original motor(head starter transmission etc.) and selling them on eBay?

Lastly, if I purchase the Gen 2 crate engine long block starter an generator installed but I will need everything else. What would be the additional costs associated with this switch? And would it increase or decrease resale value

All replies and helpful suggestions will be greatly appreciated

Thank you for your time and consideration

Yours truly,

SR 71

The Gen II option is a non starter. The electronics are all different etc. You'd spend a bunch of money getting it to work.

Rebuild. We all feel different about our bikes, but in my view it's 10 years old now, so I'd rebuild in stock and look to sell/trade up.

Or rebuild and add modifications to suit budget, if you're intending to keep long term.

With what ive seen on Ebay for motors, i would rebuild,,,
It needs to come apart, and see if the crank, is repairable.
you might get lucky..
If you where closer, i could help,,,

Rebuild the original engine...I'd also be interested in hearing "The Long Story"...spinning a rod bearing at 6,800mi is quite the feat! LOL!

hi everyone,

What do you estimate the rebuild costs to be?

Micro polish one journal on the crank locally is $125 anything more than that $400

Should I replace all the main and rod bearings?

What is the cost of the gasket kit?

Anything else you guys think I may need please don't hesitate to chime in

Thanks again in advance.

SR 71

at 5800 miles if a rod bearing repair is all you need it should not be too bad . Big cost will be labour unless you can do it yourself
For parts prices just wander down to the Nice man at Suzuki parts and take a list of needs . he can look them up and you will have a max number . the question will be how bad is the crank . And you wont know until its apart . it may need to be resized and thicker bearings installed and perhaps a new rod to match . If you hav the Money NOW is the time to say to heck with resale and build a big one or boost it
jp

yes its old....

but future readers just get a good used crank....instead of repairing....one good used rod....measure the bearings,replace if bad...you can rebuild it yourself for less than $500

If you wanted to upgrade to a gen 2 motor. I would find a wrecked gen 2 at an auction. They go for cheap. But I would pull the motor and see what the damage is. If the crank is bad you can switch to the gen 2 crank.

Back