My 200mph plans... safety input appreciated.

John V

Registered
2006 Hayabusa
Full exhaust
ECU flash
30 shot
18/40 gear ratio
Stock wheelbase

These are the extent of my modifications. My question deals with safety and tech. I know that I will have to safety wire quite a few things.

I also know that I will need a suit. I have a jacket and pants from the strip but am pretty sure they will not pass an inspection. What do people wear? and whats a good place to purchase?

Any other info or tips would be greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:

here's his thread from another forum.

http://www.suzukihayabusa.org/forum/index.php?topic=135810.msg1284040#msg1284040"

You need to safety wire axle bolts, (not sure if you still have to wire the front axle pinch bolts) oil drain plug. A metal chain guard, metal valve stems. tethered kill switch. Tires speed rated for 168+ or 186+ or sign a wavier. And I probably missed something. I don't Land Speed Race, but I want to eventually, these are just a few of the things I remember from looking for details.
And yeah, talk to Got-Busa.

Rules are dependent on the event. I think six pack covered most of the basics common to all of them(I would include pinch bolts in there as well as drain plug). EX SCTA does not allow perforations or keprotech panels in your leathers but others do. The thing to do is pick your event and read the rules. I race and BUB and got dinged last year with an old helmet. Snell 2005 or newer. Lesson learned, read and re-read the rules so there's no surprizes on race day.

Several members here have done good write ups on getting there bike ready for LSR These photos were shamelessly stolen by me from Got Busa for future reference. :laugh: Hope he doesn't mind run a search for his thread.

Got Busa Safety wire rear axle.jpg

Got Busa safety wire oil filter 3.jpg

Got Busa safety wire drain plug.jpg

Got busa safety wire oil filter.jpg

Got Busa Safety wire axle.jpg

Got Busa Safety wire axle 2.jpg

Got Busa chain gaurd.jpg

Rules are dependent on the event. I think six pack covered most of the basics common to all of them(I would include pinch bolts in there as well as drain plug). EX SCTA does not allow perforations or keprotech panels in your leathers but others do. The thing to do is pick your event and read the rules. I race and BUB and got dinged last year with an old helmet. Snell 2005 or newer. Lesson learned, read and re-read the rules so there's no surprizes on race day.

Is there one common set of rules to follow as a minimum baseline? then adjust for a particular event?

I was more looking for leathers suggestions. I have seen and bookmarked the GOT BUSA thread as well.

Thanks

I can guide you through the process if your coming to the Texas Mile but I don't know all of the rules for Maxton. Which event are you thinking about attending?

Aside from what is a required minium are there things that many people do that are becoming common? Any catch / puke cans for vent hoses?

I can guide you through the process if your coming to the Texas Mile but I don't know all of the rules for Maxton. Which event are you thinking about attending?

I believe maxton is closer to me.. so that's the direction I was swaying.

Depending on my schedule I could probably figure out a way to make either location work. :thumbsup:

Each organization can set their own rules. Granted, Maxton and Loring use the same exact rules. Texas follows the same guidelines as well. Miami is a little less stringent on the safety tech.

If you're gonna run Maxton you've got to become an ECTA member. They'll send you a rule book that explains everything that's needed.

I don't think anyone mentioned this yet but you also need a metal strap/hold down for your battery.
As for the leathers alot just pickup a one piece suite from newenough or somewhere else with decent prices. Make sure it's got all of the correct armor. The other route is to use one of the underarmer suites that have all the padding built in and can be worn under your leathers.

Sounds like you guys have him covered. :laugh: If you have any other questions or need anything, please let me know... :beerchug:

As others have said, make sure you read the rule book and go over everything. If you are racing at Maxton the two main differences are SS-valve stems and metal battery hold down are required. Pretty much everything else is very similiar if not the same.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. BE SAFE, HAVE FUN, AND GO FAST!!! :beerchug:

Sounds like you guys have him covered. :laugh: If you have any other questions or need anything, please let me know... :beerchug:

As others have said, make sure you read the rule book and go over everything. If you are racing at Maxton the two main differences are SS-valve stems and metal battery hold down are required. Pretty much everything else is very similiar if not the same.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. BE SAFE, HAVE FUN, AND GO FAST!!! :beerchug:

Is stainless steel valve stems required or just metal?

you might want to look at gearing
I know for a fact stock motor 40 shot spraying in 4-5-6th with 17-39 gearing will hit 200

I saw the section on safety wiring in your thread, I was going to do something similar. Are there any other thoughts or tips you can offer? I am trying to do this over the next week or so.

On a side note I live about 10 mins away from where you picked up your busa, bunch of good guys over there :thumbsup:

Is stainless steel valve stems required or just metal?

2010 ECTA rule book reads:

"All tire valve stems must be fitted with metal valve caps. Over 175 MPH, tubeless tires must use metal valve stems. Tube type tires with rubber valve stems that are angled ...... must have valve stems secured ...... "

Last edited:
I saw the section on safety wiring in your thread, I was going to do something similar. Are there any other thoughts or tips you can offer? I am trying to do this over the next week or so.

On a side note I live about 10 mins away from where you picked up your busa, bunch of good guys over there :thumbsup:

Just drill them nice and slow with easy pressure and a hair of oil to cool it. It will go through like butter. If you drill to fast or put to much pressure you will start snapping bits. It will go real easy when you get it right so if it's not going smooth take a deep breath and slow down.

As far as the wiring, just keep good pressure make sure everything is like the pics and you'll be fine. My only other recommendation is when doing the oil pan, drill closer to the side so it's easier to wire quick when you are changing it at the track... ;)

Everything else is pretty straight forward. Suzuki has put small tabs/lips in various areas of the bike just for safety wiring so you can make a nice and clean appearance... :beerchug:

2010 ECTA rule book reads:

"All tire valve stems must be fitted with metal valve caps. Over 175 MPH, tubeless tires must use metal valve stems. Tube type tires with rubber valve stems that are angled ...... must have valve stems secured ...... "

Thank you for clarifying... :thumbsup:

Back