Safety: Protective Riding Gear

oZo

Registered
Hello all.  We have all read and seen the nasty posts and pictures of what can happen just ridding down to the local convenient store w/out full gear.  I have a few scars from my younger days as well.  It is from this that I am asking advice on safety gear from jackets, pants, gloves and boots to full bodysuits. The helmet is a given.

I would assume that a full leather suit is the best, but I live in Florida where we all know it is brutally hot and humid for much of the year.  So is there lightweight gear (meaning jackets, pants and bodysuits) made from materials that will save my hide?  Something I can wear over clothes then remove if I'm going to a football game in the sun?

Obviously, I would like to get the best gear for my buck, but I want to ensure it saves my ass in a slide as well.  I've seen first hand what happens when skin is removed from the body (my brother) and I even looked at pictures in the past before heading out when I didn't feel like messing with the gear.

Thanks for the help everyone.

<!--EDIT|oZo
Reason for Edit: None given...|1123173556 -->

A lot of companies make mesh jackets. I have one from Icon, here's a link to the site I bought it from. http://www.newenough.com/icon_timax_mesh_jacket_page.htm

I saw this one posted on the site a while ago and it looks like it would offer much better protection (though not as many style points) than the Icon while still being cool.
http://www.highvelocitygear.com/armor.html

Also look for a pair of perforated gloves. I don't have any links off the top of my head for those but I'm sure a quick google search would turn some up.

eh... i may not help.. I think anything mesh is only marginally better than gauze..

why not a set of full perferation leathers?

I have a one piece Alpinestars GPU suit.. very happy with it.. GP armor thruout.. comes in 1, or 2 piece, and they have it available as fully preforated also.

http://www.newenough.com/alpinestars_gpu_1pc_suit_page.htm

the gray/black is the only one thats got all the holes in it... It gets hot here.. but it's bearable.. so I went with a solid one piece.

I can't stand a little sweat to be confident that it's going to do what it needs to do sliding down the pavement... afterall... when you hit the ground isn't the best time to decide you should have went full leather.

It's like I said though.. i've never owned anything mesh.. so I couldn't tell ya.. I've seen pics of it after crashes though.. and my mind just went... "Nope... thats not gonna cut it."

as far as something to take off when ya get there... eh.. I dunno about tha one. My old man has a seat of leather over pants that he uses with a jacket.. good quality leather it appears.. but no armor, or protection beyond the leather.. plus I rarely ride my bike to go somewhere other than just riding.

I use Bohn body armor that can be worn under leathers or lightweight clothing. This stuff uses polycarbonate hard armor and high density foam.

http://www.actionstation.com

In general, leather (jacket, pants, gloves, strong boots) is the best overall protection. You can get vented or perforated leather jackets etc.

If heat is an issue look at cool vests that can be worn under leathers and have coolpacks that fit into pockets. or UnderArmour, which some people swear by on this board.

http://www.texascoolvest.com/cvl.html

http://www.underarmour.com

Whatever you choose to wear, don't cut corners/go cheap on it. Seriously, this stuff will enable you to walk away from accidents that would require skin grafts and long/painful recovery times. It's just not worth compromising on price or quality when it's your own skin (or your passenger's) that's at stake. Lightweight gear might make you feel more comfortable (although I prefer the feel of leather myself) but it'll only protect you for one crash (if you're lucky) because it will wear down or rip.

It still amazes me that riders will sink big bucks into custom accessories, or the best tires/suspension etc. to make their bike look good or go as fast as possible, but will ride in T-shirt, jeans and sneakers.

One more thing, Always Wear Your Gear. The day you decide to run down to the local shop and just wear a lightweight jacket and jeans is the day you'll fall off. I hear stories again and again about people who "wish they'd worn their gear that day" (you'll find some on this board.)

Ride safe.

anyone gone down in mesh? how about tests? I can't believe mesh fibers would hold up unless it was like $4000 of carbon fiber or similar. I prefer leather. even in 100 degrees with humidity

I have the Joe Rocket Alter Ego jacket that the outer shell comes off revealing a mesh jacket. I have to admit when I arrive at work, if I run out for lunch I will go with the mesh, while it is nicely padded I dont think it's gonna hold up in a higher speed slide. I also dont think it will stay in place in a viloent slide as well as the full shell. So just putsin around town (speed limit is 25mph) i may go with mesh but when its time to travel home or outa the city its full jacket. I also wear the Icon field armor on my legs and i have total confodence in this stuff at any speed. My most vulnerable area is gonna be my hips and butt. For now I figure if I go down and save my head, shoulders, arms, hands, knees and feet I will be pretty fortunate. i do plan to switch to the Ican Ti Max gear after checkin out Rhythms gear. Just waitin on dem Ho's to bring in tha cheddah.

why not a set of full perferation leathers?

I have a one piece Alpinestars GPU suit.. very happy with it.. GP armor thruout.. comes in 1, or 2 piece, and they have it available as fully preforated also.

the gray/black is the only one thats got all the holes in it...  It gets hot here.. but it's bearable.. so I went with a solid one piece.
I don't wear this particular suit myself, but I have heard nothing but good things about it.

Heat is tough, but I would rather sweat a little than wish I had been wearing leather if something happened. I have the AGV Hayabusa jacket which is vented under the arms and a pair of FieldSheer Vented Leather pants. Deciding what to wear underneath, but think I will get a few UnderArmour shirts. Take your time and get what feels right and fits right, so you won't have any excuses for not wearing it!

Thanks for everyone's input so far, but I have some questions/concerns?
What are the advantages/disadvantages between the one piece and two piece suits? Seems like 2-piece will leave your lower back exposed.
Will a heavy type mesh/textile jacket like the ICON TiMax Mesh keep me from getting skinned? http://street-bikes.ridegear.com/cgi-bin....3210245
Is hard body armor necessary?

oZo the two piece suits zip together so nothing is left exposed. The advantage is that you can remove the jacket when you make a pit stop ( for chow , fuel or just to shoot the shid). I have a full leather suit with gauntlet style gloves and Alpinestar boots.

<!--EDIT|Gunnybusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1123192025 -->

When it gets too hot I usually pull out my 'bionic suit'. Mine is made by Fox Racing, but Alpinestars has one too, and it looks better! Basically it's old school football jersey mesh with all the 'armour' built into it. The protection is tougher than my Icon Leather jacket. It's got hard plastic and padding in all the impact areas and chest and back protection. Plus if you want to look like a squid, you can put a large t-shirt on over it! They are CE certified too!

There are several different companies making similar products. Check it out! Here's the alpinestars version:

http://www.alpinestars.com/_os/protection/protection.html

alpine.jpg

Here's the one I have, I've worn it under a supersize T shirt or a Hockey jersey.

It was made by Fox Racing, but I don't know if they still have it. I liked the Alpine Stars one better, but it costs twice as much. Both offer similar protection.

fox.jpg

Beware of mess gear! I've seen what it looks like after a minor wreck. It's not pretty!
sad.gif

You'd be better off wearing a demin jacket and jeans. I'd reccomend getting some gear from Draggin' Jeans. I know a few people that use them, and they say there pretty good when it gets hot.

I ride with a Teknic 2pc leather set, which are good in hot weather as long as you keep moving 30 or more. They do make a 1pc that is fully perforated in the front to keep you cooler. If you do leathers, consider Kangaroo. It's 1/3rd lighter and thinner than cow hide, and it's tougher! So far I have only found 1pc suits from Roo hide.

Happy shopping.

Welcome aboard!
smile.gif

Beware of mess gear!  I've seen what it looks like after a minor wreck.  It's not pretty!
sad.gif
Yes, but, with just about any accident, pride is gonna make you replace that gear anyway.

There really is no comparison between a denim jacket and jeans and these types of 'gear'. With no padding or protection, you're gonna break something or ding it up real bad if you go down.

The two options I mentioned do have very durable materials in all the right places, so if you go down, you'll be plenty protected. They've got inch thick back protection, kidney protection, shoulder, forearm, elbow and chest protection. You tellin' me a denim jacket is better than that? I don't think so. These have more 'point' protection than most leather and textile jackets!

Remember some gear is better than no gear, especially when it's HOT!

<!--EDIT|thebbbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1123243061 -->

My Protection -

Helmet: Shoei X-11
Jacket: Firstgear Leather-Tex
Glove: Joe Rocket Leather (With knuckle aurmor)
Spine Guard: Dianese
Shoes: Icon (Dunno the name
blush.gif
)

...I want a pant but Idont get pants my size on the net
sad.gif

Thanks thebbbusa. I appreciate the input. The protective under suits look like a great idea. You can wear something like a long sleave tee shirt over it, be more comfortable in hot weather, and remove it and wear the shirt only when you reach your destination.

Alright now that I have the head and torso covered. What about pants? Must they be leather? What about the fiber pants or the pants that look like jeans with extra protection? And are full racing boots a must or can I wear a motorcycle shoes? And finally is the web the best place to shop for these items (excluding the helmet)? Thanks for your help. We'll have me geared up before you know it.

i have a joe rocket perf. leather jacket. have worn it in 95 degree heat. wasnt too bad when u were moving, then i usually where draggin jeans, also have a pair of mesh pants.

You know, you could do the same thing with pads/guards under some oversized jeans if you want to be incognito. The problem with gear, is when you get 'there' you look like a moto freak, not that there's anything wrong with that.

Here's an example of a knee/shin guard by Icon. It would fit under today's oversized jeans. Now you're gonna say what about my hips, well, yes, mfrs make armoured shorts too.

Have a good one , ride safe.

iconfieldkneepad_1_.jpg

When it gets too hot I usually pull out my 'bionic suit'.  Mine is made by Fox Racing, but Alpinestars has one too, and it looks better!  Basically it's old school football jersey mesh with all the 'armour' built into it.  The protection is tougher than my Icon Leather jacket.  It's got hard plastic and padding in all the impact areas and chest and back protection.  Plus if you want to look like a squid, you can put a large t-shirt on over it!  They are CE certified too!

There are several different companies making similar products.  Check it out!  Here's the alpinestars version:

This actually looks like something cool (as in temperature)enough to wear. What's the cost, please?

When it gets too hot I usually pull out my 'bionic suit'.  Mine is made by Fox Racing, but Alpinestars has one too, and it looks better!  Basically it's old school football jersey mesh with all the 'armour' built into it.  The protection is tougher than my Icon Leather jacket.  It's got hard plastic and padding in all the impact areas and chest and back protection.  Plus if you want to look like a squid, you can put a large t-shirt on over it!  They are CE certified too!

There are several different companies making similar products.  Check it out!  Here's the alpinestars version:

This actually looks like something cool (as in temperature)enough to wear. What's the cost, please?
The one by Fox Racing, was about $170 or so, the Alpinestars one (which I didn't get, but like it better) goes for about $300. The Alpinestars one's shoulders are contoured a little better so they don't look as goofy under a T or jersey.

Some of this stuff can be had at:

http://www.ironpony.com

It's a great store if you're close, they usually have these in stock.

Back