My 1st near miss on the busa

busa_bill

Life - tastes like chicken!
Donating Member
Registered
I get through mowing the lawn, so I decide to ride 1/2 mile to the store for a drink and dry my shirt out a bit. I am riding super squid.
Clipping along at 45mph and I see a guy at a stop sign on a side street. I watch him look both ways, and the guy pulls right out in front of me. I'm riding a big bike, sitting straight up with a white t-shirt on. How could he not see me? Quick thinking, and I do a weave barely missing his back bumper.
Now I have mixed emotions: I'm pissed, but I'm happy to have avoided disaster.
I get up next to the guy and he knows I want to talk to him, so he rolls down his window - a 45ish guy in a newer SUV.
"Hey - you know you pulled right out in front of me"
"I'm sorry, I didn't see you"
"You know that's how people on motorcycles get killed"
"I know"

I could have started yelling asking him to stop so I could kick his azz, but I kept my head. Thought this might leave an impression with him that would stay with him.
I hope that's one more person looking out for bikes now.

For anyone that thinks it is okay to ride anywhere without your gear (even short trips) think again. This made a believer out of me.

He did not care. Is the nature of a cager. Does not matter if they ride or not, they would not see you and in a close call they could not care less.

It is the nature of the beast. I am glad you missed it. Ride defensively 200% of the time.

I think sometimes when they check for traffic the brain is looking for something larger then the bike and sometimes doesn't even register it. Or there might be a small blind spot like a mirror or post that for a instant allows a small object to disappear, (bike in the distance). I always check twice at intersections.
That’s why we need to watch out for ourselves and not depend on them, if there is a accident with a car most likely the person in the car will not get injured but the bike rider will.

Just my 2 cents worth

I think sometimes when they check for traffic the brain is looking for something larger then the bike and sometimes doesn't even register it. Or there might be a small blind spot like a mirror or post that for a instant allows a small object to disappear, (bike in the distance). I always check twice at intersections.
That’s why we need to watch out for ourselves and not depend on them, if there is a accident with a car most likely the person in the car will not get injured but the bike rider will.

Just my 2 cents worth
Actually the brain is looking for motion.
If a person has "other things" on their mind they may not register objects very well whether it's cars or bikes. Bikes being smaller makes them even harder to recogonize Just like a deer in the woods. Stand perfectly still and they're brain will not see you but make the slightest movement and they're gone.

If you ever question whether someone sees you coming, weave the bike a little. It might make all the difference.

Glad you're alright!!

I'm glad you are ok, my favorites are women in minivans on the phone!!!! I could'nt even tell you how many times they have almost gotten me. I stay far far away now.My personal favorite is when they know they almost hit you and just shrug their shoulders!!!

I've got 3500 miles on this bike, and have never had anyone pull out on me.
After shaking this deal off, I get geared up and head out to a few local shops looking for some new grips. This time it's and old man in a crew cab dually talking on a cell phone. I locked up the rear and felt the front scoot a bit.
I'm thinking; WTF?
I'm pissed this time cutting through lite traffic to catch this Bozo.
Every kind of sign language I can think of I'm gving this guy. He gives a deer in a headlight look, and has no clue what he just did.
Next time somebody's getting an azz whoopin. There is little traffic where I live, so conflicts should be rare. Twice in one day is too much.

Oh well, thanks for listening!

Glad you made it through,I can definitely relate!
wink.gif

Back