Muzzy Fan and Engine Ice

dm_gsxr

Weirdo Freak
Donating Member
Registered
Time: Took about 2 hours total for both.

Problems:

Couldn't figure out how to remove the connector from the sensor. It's obviously some sort of snap but I couldn't figure out which way to put pressure on it.

The snap is on the engine side of the connector and you simply put your thumb on it and press towards the connector. It's a bit of a wiggle but it comes out.

When I removed the sensor, I looked at it to figure it out.

Preparation:

I bought the Muzzy fan upon recommendation from the Pashnit.com 'busa mod pages. I've purchased the Second Look tank bra, the Galfer steel braided brake lines (rear only) and the Yellow box mod from the same pages and I'm investigating other items he's posted (steel braided front lines for example).

I bought two half-gallon containers of Engine Ice since someone here said it takes 3/4" of a gallon and since I was going to have to change the coolant anyway.

I grabbed my multi-gallon bucket I use for cleaning the vehicles to hold the old coolant.

The Job:

I removed both side panels, the radiator cap and the hose for the coolant and drained it into the bucket (the old coolant was greenish black). While it drained, I removed the sensor and then the connector. I grabbed a #10 box end wrench and removed the three bolts holding the fan housing to the radiator on the left side. The leftmost two were the easiest. The lower center one wasn't too bad but I had to get one hand in behind the exhaust pipes and use my index finger to position the box end over the bolt. Due to the cramped space, it took a little patience as I dropped the wrench and had to maneuver around to retrieve it.

Once I slid the fan housing out far enough to remove the fan, I found that the fan had 6 blades just like the Muzzy fan. It looks as if they have a deeper bite as well but time will tell. The stock fan says "DENSO", "PASS6F30", and "48S" in raised letters on the front of the fan so this may be a stock fan.

I unscrewed the three screws and carefully pulled out the plastic fan. One of the items in the Muzzy installation instructions regarded some sort of heat shield but there was none evident. I put the new fan in place and screwed it down with the same three screws. I repositioned the fan housing over the three holes and screwed in the two left side bolts first (but not tight). I put in the third lower center bolt and got it snug then snugged the other two.

I reinstalled the sensor. Fortunately a mechanic had painted a white line across the radiator and sensor which made it a snap to put it back without breaking out my torque wrench. I reconnected the sensor, put the hose back on and filled the radiator with water. I started the bike to let the water circulate, stopped it and drained the coolant again. I did this one more time. I also removed the overflow tank and rinsed it out. There was some sludge in the bottom which I can't imagine was good for the coolant. I screwed it back to the bike and filled the bike up with Engine Ice.

I started the bike up again and slowly filled the radiator until it wouldn't take any more. Remembering a comment here, I lightly squeezed the right side hose to get some air bubbles out, which worked! A few bubbled up, thanks for that. I then squeezed the next tube over. Turns out it was the right side exhaust pipe.

J&$@# F$&^ me dead! That hurt! Got a couple of nice burns on my index finger and thumb and a reminder that there's only one hose on one side and one on the other. Doof! (No apparent blister but my fingerprint is a bit harder to discern
smile.gif
)

Anyway, I carefully squeezed the left side hose figuring it'd be a little hot since the bike was running. I opened the second bottle and filled the overflow container so it's a nice blue in color.

Before turning off the bike, I adjusted the idle screw once again. Then I attached the side panels (and anything that was sitting in the sun was painful to the touch). I put the gas tank back into place and screwed it down (I'd cleaned my K&N air filter and reoiled it as well). I put the seat back on, put my tools away and put the hump back on the bike. I rinsed off the sidewalk from the crud (rocks and black dust) that dropped out of the bike and the little overflow of Engine Ice.

Results:

I took her for a quick ride. Normally the engine temp is on the line. Now it stays about an eighth of an inch below it. I went to a local parking lot and sat there but the temp wouldn't go up. I revved the bike, slowly going up about 1.5k every 15 seconds or so until the temp started to creep up. This was at about 9k and the bike was screaming
smile.gif
I could see the fan was moving so I slowly dropped the revs and hopped off the bike to watch the temp and fan. The temp guage slowly creeped back down so I hopped back on the bike and headed home. The temp dropped back down to the one-eighth below mark before I exited the parking lot.

So far so good. I'm thinking that the Engine Ice coolant is going to be the more effective change. Since both fans were 6 blades and the stock fan looked to take a bigger bite, that may not have made a difference. Time will tell.

Thanks again for the pointers and don't forget, even though it looks like a water hose, it's really an exhaust pipe and is bleeding hot!

Carl

smile.gif

Back