MSF Take Dos....

ajblbv

Donating Member
Registered
So taking the MSF again starts tomorrow night. I took it last summer and got licensed but am going again to practice emergency stopping amongst their other pointers that I can apply with a lot more knowledge now. Anywho, wondered if anyone here has taken it twice? I was also thinking how sad it would be if I can't do the figure 8 and fail the test this time :lol:

I have the MSF Basic Rider Course, MSF Experienced Rider Course and as of this past Tuesday, the MSF Sportbike Rider Course. The SRC isn't mandatory for the Army yet, but it is for the Navy and Marines. I took it as a class of opportunity..based on the course I foresee it for the Army riders as well.

That actually makes a lot of sense. My first ride on a motorcycle ever was Day #2 of my MSF course. It would be really interesting to see how I managed the class now that I have 15,000+ miles under my belt. You may be able to pick up some details you missed the first time, and can probably appreciate some of the techniques better now that you have some experience behind you.

That actually makes a lot of sense. My first ride on a motorcycle ever was Day #2 of my MSF course. It would be really interesting to see how I managed the class now that I have 15,000+ miles under my belt. You may be able to pick up some details you missed the first time, and can probably appreciate some of the techniques better now that you have some experience behind you.

That's what I am thinking, also thinking it might help identify bad habits I may have. Either way, I will be more than happy to practice this stuff on their bikes and under their supervision.

What exactly does the experienced riders MSF do?

i have taken the msrc about 4 times, just because I work with the instructors and everytime there is a open seat i get called in to fill so i normally call some of my units to see who can make it last minute and everytime i learn something different. nice to see how myself and the instructor(zx14) can drop jaws, from the so called fast ridders... glad u are back in the course as there is so much of back to basics that everyone can use.

I took my MSF's on a Buell Blast....ya, go ahead and try a reverse-postured figure 8 on a Bus....take pictures too !!!! :oldcool:

I took the MSF course on my Busa and I'm also a MSF Coach, I teah it here in germany. The stops using both brakes hurt alot of people because the forget to downshift to 1st gear. and the curve kills alot of people on points. The U turn isn't that hard if you just turn your head. I did it on my Busa so I know it can be done. Just remember counterweight.

I took the MSF course on my Busa and I'm also a MSF Coach, I teah it here in germany. The stops using both brakes hurt alot of people because the forget to downshift to 1st gear. and the curve kills alot of people on points. The U turn isn't that hard if you just turn your head. I did it on my Busa so I know it can be done. Just remember counterweight.

Well teach it to me..... :super:

I have had many very seasoned students take the BRC, some for refresher and some to get on base (the Navy Base here requires motorcyclists take a course every 3 years). All have very positive things to say. Good for you for taking it again. :thumbsup:

Yea I am encouraged to take it again, I expect it to be humbling but hopefully I will ultimately come out improved :beerchug:

So taking the MSF again starts tomorrow night. I took it last summer and got licensed but am going again to practice emergency stopping amongst their other pointers that I can apply with a lot more knowledge now. Anywho, wondered if anyone here has taken it twice? I was also thinking how sad it would be if I can't do the figure 8 and fail the test this time :lol:

you will sit through a classroom session...

then you will learn to walk the bike and show you know how to work the clutch and throttle.

Then you will ride back and forth in a single gear

then you will ride back and forth and shift.

Then you start the large circles to practice shifting and speed control

Towards the end you will practice encountering debris (normally you run over a 2x4)

The test should have a coned off course with a stop line then you should do the figure 8 in the box...

The actual test is york is riding behind the mall while she listen for up and down shifting...You stop where they point. and then you do a mutated figure 8 around 3 cones.

I HAVE to get mine scheduled and taken! I have been traveling so much for work and then moving my wordly household good in between that I have not been abe to go. Needless to say my bike sits in the garage doing nothing until I take the course. Of course I a kind of nervous!

Practice Spudley just practice. Find that sweet spot with your throttle and clutch and just do it. Most people can do it, but get anxious when they have the lines to worry about.

I can crank out a figure 8, but I trail-brake, light power, and slip the clutch with the Busa....on the Blast, I could basically take my eyes off of everything and the darn thing would just do it for me... :oldcool:

Motorcycle Safety Foundation

Go to the map of the U.S on the left and click on your state. There are several options for OKC. Good luck.

MrsR2B, get your butt in gear young lady and take the course!! You won't regret it. :cheerleader: (Hope the move went well.)

Take a look at the "Ride Like a Pro" video. Handling my cruiser was sometimes a handfull until I learned to relax and learn the proper teqnique(s). (When I got on my busa I felt like the fairy princess.) FYI, one of my friends is a local deputy and is a motor cop. He says one of the things they pratice is to lock up bars doing left and right turns, and drag the floorboards big time in the process. They turn around so far in the saddle they are looking at the rear two way radio antenna mounted on the rear bag. Also you might want to go a vacant parking lot and practice. Good Luck to you.

Last edited:
Back