Just how easy was it to get your license?

VaBusa

oRg Gal
Staff member
Administrator
I'm sure different rules apply nationwide...not to mention globally...

I couldn't believe how easy it was to get a learner's permit in VA!  Good news for beginners, but now that I'm out and riding, I certainly see a HUGE need for more stringent rules and regulations...like mandatory MSF classes (for every driver, even cagers!)

In VA, I had to go take a 25 question test (multiple choice, one read through the DMV manual was suffice to pass)...BOOM!  I've got my learner's permit!  
rock.gif
(hey, what is this thing and how does it work?!)

I kept thinking there's be something else to it, but that was it - ready to ride?  Learn?  Come on...it really needed to be harder...

To get the M endorsement...if you take a MSF class and pass, you just go smile for the DMV camera and get your license...or, you take the DMV road course test after all of your "learning" on your permit...

What do other states do?

In CA, when you take the motorcycle written test, you also have to re-take the written tests for all other driving licenses you hold. I believe you only have to take 1/2 half of the other tests. Then the DMV riding test unless you take MSF.

After the written test you get your learners permit, but you are not allowed to ride on the freeway, carry a passenger, or ride at night.

In Nc you just go in, pay $15 to take a 25 question test that is extrememly basic for your learners permit. The only restriction on the permit is that you cannot carry a passenger. Then if you take the MSF course you just go in and pay another $10 to get your license. If military you are required to take the base MSF course to register bike on base but the state DMV does not recognize that course as being "legitimate" even though it is the same course and our instructors get qualified the same as the civilians do so I had to go in and pay the extra $10
cussing.gif
. Just that easy. They don't care what size bike you get or anything. Just want your money

I can't remember how difficult the test was in Chicago. I think easy.

But in Oregon, you would fail the written test if you don't read the book.

I'm sure different rules apply nationwide...not to mention globally...

I couldn't believe how easy it was to get a learner's permit in VA!  Good news for beginners, but now that I'm out and riding, I certainly see a HUGE need for more stringent rules and regulations...like mandatory MSF classes (for every driver, even cagers!)

In VA, I had to go take a 25 question test (multiple choice, one read through the DMV manual was suffice to pass)...BOOM!  I've got my learner's permit!  
rock.gif
(hey, what is this thing and how does it work?!)

I kept thinking there's be something else to it, but that was it - ready to ride?  Learn?  Come on...it really needed to be harder...

To get the M endorsement...if you take a MSF class and pass, you just go smile for the DMV camera and get your license...or, you take the DMV road course test after all of your "learning" on your permit...

What do other states do?
Hey VABusa, you ever taken the VA MSF test? I opted to try the DMV riding test and managed to get the Busa through the course. You'll need some practice, it isn't easy, especially with the length of the Busa and performing the required turns in the space provided. Good luck!

Postal.

Postal -
I'm already licensed...been riding for two years now...
I've just always sort of laughed at how easy it was to get the license, and now that I'm out riding, I can see a need for more stringent rules/tests...it's just so damn easy, and that's why so many get hurt perhaps...

I did take the MSF class...loved it and learned so much...I'd take a refresher course, and maybe one day take the advanced class...

Okay...let me rephrase the question (and shorten the hell out of it!)
director.gif

Think it's too easy to license motorcyclists?

Okay...let me rephrase the question (and shorten the hell out of it!)  
director.gif

Think it's too easy to license motorcyclists?
I think it's WAY too easy to ANY license here, period.
crazy.gif

Way too many people are on the road and the only reason they haven't wrecked and caused massive damage and fatalities, if they haven't done so already, is pure luck.

Dezzy7,
I live in New Bern, stationed at Cherry Point. So far the eastern side of the state doesn't really have too many good roads but I keep hearing that I need to get out west by Charlotte so will be plannin that trip somewhat soon. Also there is a Gap trip planned for early Sept. with a bunch of military riders, can get the dates for you if you want.

VaBusa,
Yes it is far too easy to get a motorcycle license. There should be an IQ test that is required as well. I don't mind the darwinian approach, but that raises my insurance rates

I GOT MINE IN A CRACKER JACKS BOX BEEN DRIVING EVER SINCE !!
biggrin.gif

looked in the cereal boxes but no luck
rock.gif

I got my m/c license in Va too, but what I did was take the riding course at Tidewater Comm College, used their bikes for $75 for a three day course. That waived the riding part of the test at the DMV and then just had to do the written/computer based test. Which had questions that were so simple it scared me that some people could actually fail it. I needed the riders course to get my m/c's on base anyway, and the free course they offer was booked up for a long time. So, I spent the money and got in the following weekend. Was really quite fun, plus saves me 25% on my insurance. Which made me think, so I asked my insurance company if they discounted for car drivers safety course too. They said yes, so I signed up for that too. 10% savings, gotta love it for $75. Definitely worth the time and money if your company discounts for those course. Just my .02

I got my m/c license in Va too, but what I did was take the riding course at Tidewater Comm College, used their bikes for $75 for a three day course.  That waived the riding part of the test at the DMV and then just had to do the written/computer based test.  Which had questions that were so simple it scared me that some people could actually fail it.    I needed the riders course to get my m/c's on base anyway, and the free course they offer was booked up for a long time.  So, I spent the money and got in the following weekend.  Was really quite fun, plus saves me 25% on my insurance.  Which made me think, so I asked my insurance company if they discounted for car drivers safety course too.  They said yes, so I signed up for that too.  10% savings, gotta love it for $75.   Definitely worth the time and money if your company discounts for those course.  Just my .02
you with USAA? They wouldn't even think about insuring me

In Louisiana all I had to do is take a 15 question test which you could pass without reading the book and drive one large circle in the parking lot. I certainly dont think it should be that easy. I feel that we should move towards what is required in most european countries. By the way I only pay $50.00 a month for full coverage insurance which was way lower than I expected. I am 34 with two speeding tickets one of which was for 115mph on my busa.

$50 a month! damn. My company wanted 12k a year for full. Mind if I ask who you have your insurance with?

not having a motorcycle endorsement for 4 years, had to take the driving test.
not having ridden a motorcycle in 3 years, then jumping on the busa and taking the driving test, let me tell you it was NOT easy. but.......... I did it. did you ever doubt me?
rock.gif

you guys are getting robbed.  I am 24 ( 25 on wednesday!) and pay 110 every 6 months for the busa!  And YES that is full coverage.  I am currently with USAA.  But they get me on my car and my Jeep.  01 Mustang GT, 1999 Grand Cherokee Loredo and 02 busa for 220 a month.  And again it was only a 110 dollar increase per 6 months for the bike .  I guess i got a pretty good deal.  Of course i have been with them for almost 10 years now, with VERY few tickets and the highest speed being probably 15 over.  ( in the stang).  Sounds like some of you are getting robbed on your insurance!!!!!  220 a year, except nothing less if you have a good record.  

Guess i need to go ahead and get my learners /liscense now huh?!?
down.gif
devil.gif

hey fstAZfk, what does usaa stand for never heard of them. if this is true im gonna kick my insurance guys ass
40__s.gif
mad.gif
evil.gif
bluegrab.gif

Back