MR9 safety

would have made checking piston/valve clearance a lot easier.. just look through the window in the motor :rofl:

is amazing how well these valve trains hold up all the same.. Why cant they just bump spring pressures and keep the light valves in? Seems the titanium valves "could" work if you could fix the float/bounce issue.. probably pretty high on the maintenance chart however..

Last edited:
pretty close to dropping the keeper..... must have floated the valve or retainer?.. lucky that thing did not drop..
:)

That's exactly what I told him...I think we are going to steer clear of MR9 next trip

I was thinking I was very lucky too. But if I had dropped one I would not have to talk myself into a complete rebuild.

Won't have to twist his arm too bad~!~ :laugh:

I got a total of I think 19 runs in the last 2 events on a 70 shot of n2o at maxton before any real problems. So that tells me on the dragstrip it would hold up for a while.

I got a total of I think 19 runs in the last 2 events on a 70 shot of n2o at maxton before any real problems. So that tells me on the dragstrip it would hold up for a while.
hmmm what kind of seat pressures are on the titanium vs SS?

Is it the methanol in the fuel that causes it to gum up, or is there another additive doing that?

I'm really glad to har that. There are more than a few other options that aren't nearly as gummy. :beerchug:

We just need to weigh the other options and see what would create "almost" as much HP on a stock motor...MR9 I believe was giving us about 6-8 HP and 2 MPH or so...

what woudl really help would be to use a fuel and map for it. Build a racegas only map. Talk to the tech guys at VP they're more than happy to talk about the different fuels, the effects from specific gravity, octane, oxy, etc.

For what its worth, MR9 is designed for motor only, with moderate / stock compression ratio. It is not not a good fuel for nitrous because of the low octane (87). A 70 shot needs at LEAST 100 octane or possibly more to be safe. A 70 shot needs a couple of degrees timing pulled as well as the stronger valves and springs. Nitrous backfires or valve float spits keepers for sure.

Kevin was actually mixing with another fuel to raise the octane level.

I am still running completely stock with no NOS and I can tell that every time we use it, it runs great the first run or two on Sat, but then on Sun it really drops in power...

After running a few tanks of pump gas it all seems to wash out and return to normal, but it really seems to stick in the motor for a little while.

I searched all over the VP site to check on the MR9 and I didn't see it. What gives? Is MR9 the actual name? Is it discontinued? Is it M109E? Help!

For what its worth, MR9 is designed for motor only, with moderate / stock compression ratio. It is not not a good fuel for nitrous because of the low octane (87). A 70 shot needs at LEAST 100 octane or possibly more to be safe. A 70 shot needs a couple of degrees timing pulled as well as the stronger valves and springs. Nitrous backfires or valve float spits keepers for sure.
He just pushed a stock head too far...tried to talk him out of it but it appears the combo worked. Now we all know 50 shot stock springs should be ok. :beerchug:

Last edited:
I mixed the mr9 with the think it was VP q16 so it would give me a 100 octane. Half my problem i think was running o2 enriched fuel with the n2o. But like what was said 70 shot was what cause my valves to float with stock springs. now for the gum up on the heads and pistons well I think either old mr9 or just that gas in general. But I know for next year not to run o2 enriched fuel with n2o. But the 70 shot may still be in store for the lsr events.
:whistle:

I searched all over the VP site to check on the MR9 and I didn't see it. What gives? Is MR9 the actual name? Is it discontinued? Is it M109E? Help!

I don't think it's discontinued...yet anyway, but they have come out with MR11 now so it's probably close~!~

It's still on their site and they still sell it. It's listed under Leaded/Oxygenated Fuels in both the Road Racing and Drag Racing fuel sections.

Spec sheet: MR9 Spec Sheet
thank you for that sheet.... now...

why is it I have seen a number of times the octane rating listed as 87?

that is the "M" as in "Motor" octane and that is NOT how fuels are rated at the pump..

R+M/2 = what you see at the pump (Research+Motor/2) and that is 96.5 octane of this fuel IF you are going to compare apples to apples at the pump.. (someone correct me if I am wrong)

I can also see why it is banned... "lead" is the likely problem.. it has been banned in most states regardless of racing fuel or not.. probably take some research to verify that however.. MTBE could be the other issue if it was used as the oxygenator..

really if you gotta have that extra "pop" of cheater fuel.. go buy some propylene oxide... (and for gods sake read and follow the MSDS, the stuff is dangerous...) You can actually sneak the stuff into your tank and still pass a fuel check if you know a few little secrets about the stuff.. (so I have been told).. :)

Last edited:
Back