MR9 safety

outlawbusa

1 wheel up aero testing
Donating Member
Registered
Ok, been a lot of information going around about MR9 and how it clogs up the bike. This happened to us at Maxton at an earlier event, we left it in Sat evening like we usually do and Sunday one of the bikes wouldn't run and then Monday, the other bike would hardly run and we had to clean both of them out, even though we flushed both of them good on Sunday.

I think we might have finally kicked the MR9 gremlin in it's arse...I hope.

This past weekend we ran MR9 fuel just like normal. We used a boat primer fuel line (available at any Walmart for under $10) to take every drop we could out of the tank before sitting over night on Saturday. This tube actually takes enough out that the bike can only run for about 45 seconds after removing the fuel.

We then poured fresh pump gas into the tank and took it for a little spin. To work properly you have to get up in the rpms (around 9-10 grand in first gear is fine) to run fuel through the secondary injectors. Hit these rpms about 3 times and shut it down.

After parking where ever it going to sit for the night, drain the remaining pump gas back out. Refill with the amount of MR9 you want to run in the morning.

IMPORTANT::: put in gear with kickstand down before turning your key on to measure the amount on your fuel guage~!~

This will keep your fuel pump from turning on (as long as you still have the stock kickstand switch installed) and pumping MR9 into your pump and injectors.
Do not start. Let sit overnight making sure your fuel pump is fully covered so it does not dry out and good to go as soon as you wake up in the morning.

I think this is the best scenario we have come up with so far on how to keep anything from gumming up while using MR9 for a race weekend.

Hope this helps someone out~!~

Last edited:
Seems like it would be easier to just leave the pump gas in overnight and then complete your procedure in the morning.

Glad you got it worked out. :thumbsup:

Seems like it would be easier to just leave the pump gas in overnight and then complete your procedure in the morning.

Glad you got it worked out. :thumbsup:

It would be, depending on how early you need to go down the track...at Maxton we personally get up around 6:00 (baby got us up at 5:30 this past Sunday) and hop on the bikes. Take them to the starting line and leave them so we can get a good pass before the sun warms up too much. Doesn't start until 8:00 but at least you are one of the first instead of 20 down the line...

It's kind of a standing joke with a few down there about over sleeping. The first person to fire up the bike and gets to the starting line gets to rag on everyone else about sleeping in.

Anyway, if you have the time to finish in the morning, sounds good...if not, then we pour it on in and ready to go~!~ Might save you 20 minutes in the morning if time is important~!~

PS...my first "cool" run on Sat ended up being the fastest all day on my own bike~!~

Last edited:
I've been there, seen everybody sitting in the heat, most with umbrella girls :laugh:

One point I wanted to stress with this scenario is opening the secondaries...you might cruise the bike for a few miles, but unless you open up the secondary injectors to flush the MR9 out it's not doing as much good. Have to open it up to above 8000 RPMs to get it good~!~

One point I wanted to stress with this scenario is opening the secondaries...you might cruise the bike for a few miles, but unless you open up the secondary injectors to flush the MR9 out it's not doing as much good. Have to open it up to above 8000 RPMs to get it good~!~

The last couple of events we were simply riding a few miles at lower rpms before loading up to come home, thinking we were flushing out the entire system with fresh gasoline. This was not the case, the secondaries never flushed at low rpms

Here is another reason to stay away for MR9. This is what it did to my head in 5 runs at Maxton. yeah i produced more Power on the first run but by the last it had to be hurting me.

100_1238.jpg

100_1240.jpg

100_1236.jpg

wow, never been a fan of oxygenated fuels... (or alcohol adulterated) nasty stuff you got going there... was it worth the trouble?

what is the extent of the damage?

Last edited:
Just had another bad can of mr9 I guess. My first run I had a plug come loose off the pc hub that cut on the n2o and so I ran a 198. Second run i hit a bird which was on sunday because of the accident and rain. and i still didnt know why the n2o wasnt working automaticly but was able to hit the horn button for back up. Did a 202 I think. after that i did a 203 then 201 and got a bad tick. We had a 10-20 mph head wind on sunday. here are a couple of pics of what the tick was coming from. The valve would not shut all the way.

100_1241.jpg

100_1242.jpg

Just had another bad can of mr9 I guess. My first run I had a plug come loose off the pc hub that cut on the n2o and so I ran a 198. Second run i hit a bird which was on sunday because of the accident and rain. and i still didnt know why the n2o wasnt working automaticly but was able to hit the horn button for back up. Did a 202 I think. after that i did a 203 then 201 and got a bad tick. We had a 10-20 mph head wind on sunday. here are a couple of pics of what the tick was coming from. The valve would not shut all the way.

Looks like you almost spit a keeper...valve springs on the GEN II with big NOS is a must.

yes It is a must and I will be putting some in with some new ss valves. Well at least i did not lean it out. I probably had it too rich. So other than valve work im going to get a data logger so I can fix any fuel mixture at the track if need be.

sure it won't be stock now, be sure to properly clean the entire motor inside/out before the rebuild..

I will thanks. Well Im up in the air of what to do other than valves and springs. I will see where my funds take me.

yes It is a must and I will be putting some in with some new ss valves. Well at least i did not lean it out. I probably had it too rich. So other than valve work im going to get a data logger so I can fix any fuel mixture at the track if need be.
pretty close to dropping the keeper..... must have floated the valve or retainer?.. lucky that thing did not drop..

i was over at Ryan Schnitz's shop and they were cutting custom length valves for a race motor.. all stainless stuff.. The blanks were pretty cool... nothing like an 8" long valve stem :)

I was thinking I was very lucky too. But if I had dropped one I would not have to talk myself into a complete rebuild.

Back