MR9 safety

Put in some NOS friendly pistons, head and cams..and a 100 shot and go have fun. Anything over 300 HP get some rods. 300 HP should get your target or more..if you are going to spray you can't go wrong with VP import. Not cheap but its my choice for big nos shots and turbo.

Last edited:
Its the MTBEs that make it banned up here. There are many oxygenated fuels to buy. Hell, all pump gas is oxygenated with up to 10% alky.

Its the MTBEs that make it banned up here. There are many oxygenated fuels to buy. Hell, all pump gas is oxygenated with up to 10% alky.
Cafe blended fuel.... another fine product brought to us by politicians!! whoohoo!!

They are pushing hard to up the alcohol % to I think 15 or so?

This is my big plug for using loggers at the track. Assume your tuner give you a perfect tune. Assume a typical change in Density altitude of 2500 feet doesn't change your tune by 4% (even though it does). Assume the BTUs in your fuel can didn't didn't diffuse through the blow molded fuel jug you've been using for years (even though gas goes bad in a plastic container in 24 hours). And assume there is no difference in the pump gas you bought in the spring, and the gas you buy in the middle of summer (HA!, sometimes a 6% differnce in BTUs and a very different burn rate and vapor pressue). And as Mr. Bogus said, assume some jackazz beaurocrat doens't play god with the alchy in the fuel by +/- 5%.

Unless you are buying new sealed cans of race fuel from VP or Sunoco or ? (the same ones you tuned with) your tune will never be right.

This is my big plug for using loggers at the track. Assume your tuner give you a perfect tune. Assume a typical change in Density altitude of 2500 feet doesn't change your tune by 4% (even though it does). Assume the BTUs in your fuel can didn't didn't diffuse through the blow molded fuel jug you've been using for years (even though gas goes bad in a plastic container in 24 hours). And assume there is no difference in the pump gas you bought in the spring, and the gas you buy in the middle of summer (HA!, sometimes a 6% differnce in BTUs and a very different burn rate and vapor pressue). And as Mr. Bogus said, assume some jackazz beaurocrat doens't play god with the alchy in the fuel by +/- 5%.

Unless you are buying new sealed cans of race fuel from VP or Sunoco or ? (the same ones you tuned with) your tune will never be right.

datalogging is the bees knees. :bowdown:

ive seen cars never on a dyno datalogged and tuned so well it blew my mind.

Guys, let me give you a word of advice: be very careful using oxygenated fuels. They can be extremely toxic! A few years ago I was trying one of VP's MR fuels in my dragsled and had to adjust the idle and off-idle mixture on the Lectron carbs. I'd make an adjustment and fire it up for a minute and then make another adjustment. Fired it up maybe 5-6 times in a half hour in the garage with the door open. I ended up being sick as a dog for 4-5 days from it. So be sure when you're running the fuel out you're not in a trailer or garage when you do it. You need plenty of ventilation.
Also, I see VP just released MR12-90 octane and 5% more power than MR9:

New! MR12™
VP’s best fuel yet for 4-stroke applications that can tolerate lower octane values, makes more power for powersport applications than any fuel on the market. Dyno tests proved up to 5% more power than VP’s MR9 and up to 6% more power than VP’s MRX01! Although currently not legal in AMA Pro Racing, MR12 passes fuel rules for AMA Pro/Am, CCS, WERA, AFM, NMA, WORCS, SCORE and Best in the Desert as well as club level racing and more.
TYPICAL VALUES
• Color: Light Green
• Motor Octane: 90
• Specific Gravity: .733 at 60°

Wonder how this is going to compare to the U4.4? The U4.2 sucked but the old U4 was good. Suppose to be able to leave it in the tank also. Nice to see a few more options out now. I almost bought the U4.4 last week but went with MR9 since it is tried and true.

They've also got he MR12 coming out now too...don't know if it'll be much difference than the MR9. I never even saw any of the MR11, was dry around here~!~

Guys, let me give you a word of advice: be very careful using oxygenated fuels. They can be extremely toxic! A few years ago I was trying one of VP's MR fuels in my dragsled and had to adjust the idle and off-idle mixture on the Lectron carbs. I'd make an adjustment and fire it up for a minute and then make another adjustment. Fired it up maybe 5-6 times in a half hour in the garage with the door open. I ended up being sick as a dog for 4-5 days from it. So be sure when you're running the fuel out you're not in a trailer or garage when you do it. You need plenty of ventilation.
Also, I see VP just released MR12-90 octane and 5% more power than MR9:

New! MR12â„¢
VP’s best fuel yet for 4-stroke applications that can tolerate lower octane values, makes more power for powersport applications than any fuel on the market. Dyno tests proved up to 5% more power than VP’s MR9 and up to 6% more power than VP’s MRX01! Although currently not legal in AMA Pro Racing, MR12 passes fuel rules for AMA Pro/Am, CCS, WERA, AFM, NMA, WORCS, SCORE and Best in the Desert as well as club level racing and more.
TYPICAL VALUES
• Color: Light Green
• Motor Octane: 90
• Specific Gravity: .733 at 60°
this fuel looks interesting....

Back