Mp3 players

NightCrawler

Love all. Trust a few. Do wrong to none.
Donating Member
Registered
I took back a 64mb MP3 player I recently bought because it said, on the box, it'll hold up to 1 hour worth of music. The most I could fit into it was 5 songs. Is this false advertisment or do I have to somehow downsize my music files ... kinda like how we have to downsize some pics to post them here?

There's probably some little '*' noting that it was with a 64K bitrate. Most of my MP3s average 192K, so the filesize will be significantly larger.

Ran into a very similar thing. I learned that the bit rate has everything to do with it. The higher the number the better the sound quality and the more room it requires. The lower the number the less space is required but you sacrifice some quality. Most of the time it is unnecessary to run anything over 128 while riding because you can't hear the subtle nuances of the music anyway through the wind and helmet noises. Also check your format. .mp3 and .wav formats save the songs differently and take up different amounts of space. I use mp3 format because it is the most easily available and is not too large of a file. I get all my songs from limewire.com btw
wink.gif

...now where's that number for RIAA?
tounge.gif

J/K, bro!

Actually, you meant to say iTunes or Walmart music downloads, right?
wink.gif

An average mp3 song should be like 128k bitrate and be around 3-5 mb. There ARE some 30 minute songs with very high bitrates that could be VERY large in size.... by the way, I would recommend and mp3 player with either 256mb or 512mb of space. They're not that expensive any more.

I think my 512mb would hold about 100 songs . I now have a 20 gig
biggrin.gif
It has about 1000 songs, 100 pictures, 5 movies, and still isn't half full. I love electronics:cool:

I took back a 64mb MP3 player I recently bought because it said, on the box, it'll hold up to 1 hour worth of music. The most I could fit into it was 5 songs. Is this false advertisment or do I have to somehow downsize my music files ... kinda like how we have to downsize some pics to post them here?
If they're songs from the 70's (Genesis, Yes, ELP) then 5 songs should be right.

In the WMA format, I can get about 40 songs on my 128 mb player, which is about 4-1/2 hours of music @ 60 kb/sec, I believe. It sounds the same as MP3's at 128.

Back