Audio Nerds, step up!

WWJD

Donating Member
Registered
I'm finally getting around to making my CDs portable. The latest Windows Media player 11 lets you do this easily but I don't know which FORMAT makes the most sense. I've started with MP3 320k [highgest] because both of my cars play MP3 discs. They might play Windows Media - I forget at the moment. Now I have DVD player that plays WM discs as well as a 2 gig music player thing.

So, all that said, I see different options for archiving quality music. I would like to go with the BEST quality but compressed - disc some of my discs are beat up and I discovered RIPPING them restores the playability in MP3 as well as shrinking them.

Advice? Suggestions? I plan to stick with Windows Media player as I am tired of messing with the 50 billion other optional softwares to install.

What do you guys do?

rip.JPG

Not sure regarding quality, but I'd go with MP3 if only for the reason that it's not tied to the whims and licensing schemes of Microsoft and the WMA format.

(NVeeus04 @ Dec. 11 2006,15:25) stick with mp3, smaller file size and good quality
+1

But only if everything plays MP3s, the wifeys truck does not so I have to convet my MP3s to wave files.

thanks. seems like MP3 is THE format to go, but I wanted some other opinions. I wonder if the MP3 at 320k is equal to LOSSLESS Windows Media? Not a big deal - I'm RARELY in a position to listen so closely to superb audio - and I'm probably going deaf already anyway the way I crank tuens in the cars!
biggrin.gif

stock mp3 format is kinda low on the pole for me but the high end 320 kb. is pretty nice. The best would be AAC but its a iTunes format not a windows.

stick with whe 320 and all will be good.

Josh

i have mine on my hard drive mp3 format at 192k sound fine in the car 37.9Gigs with 7730 songs all from my own cd's not downloaded.

Back