Motorcycle Self Defense Course ?

Bosshound

Donating Member
Registered
Just Reading about (PhatRoy)-RIP. Is there some type of Motorcycle Traning Course that actually Teaches you how to avoid accidents ?

I am not just talking about riding around some cones and Watching a Video. I am talking about a course that Physically Teaches you How to Lay Your Bike Down in a Controlled Environment. Emergency Braking !!!! How to Roll. ETC

I understand this may be a Stupid Question but I Have'nt had any Formal Motorcycle Training since 1986.
SHOCKED.gif

Laying your bike down is actually a myth, They say that you can stop your bike in a WAY shorter distance using your brakes, then sliding it. I know there's an advanced MSF class, but not sure about a deffensive class ?

The only situation I've ever thought of where laying the bike down could help you is if you are somehow cutoff by a semi through an intersection where you might be able to slide under it if you went down. Otherwise your brakes+tires will stop you much faster than your body sliding over the road.

Take a MSF ERC Experienced Rider Course. It is a one day class. Cost will vary depending on location. It is $75 here. It does teach defensive/survival techniques. Correct quick stops, and swerving are defensive riding techniques. As for laying the bike down, you have about a 1 in a 1000 chance of that being the right move. There is usually no reason to crash on your own before you get to the crash. The friction coefficient of tires to pavement is much higher than plastic and metal sliding on the pavement. If you lay it down and don't hit the other vehicle, you would not have hit it if you stopped correctly.

Take a MSF ERC Experienced Rider Course. It is a one day class. Cost will vary depending on location. It is $75 here. It does teach defensive/survival techniques. Correct quick  stops, and swerving are defensive riding techniques. As for laying the bike down, you have about a 1 in a 1000 chance of that being the right move. There is usually no reason to crash on your own before you get to the crash.  The friction coefficient of tires to pavement is much higher than plastic and metal sliding on the pavement.  If you lay it down and don't hit the other vehicle, you would not have hit it if you stopped correctly.
That's what I was TRYING to say, LOL
face7.gif

Bosshound - There is NO stupid question when it comes to safety. Take the motorcycle courses above... remember everyone else has the right away... remember motorcycles are invisible to vehicle mirrors... remember to use hand signals and don't rely on your blinkers or brake light. IMO I consider SS brake lines and sintered pads as safety upgrades as well as performance upgrades. If you have access to a smaller bike... find an empty parking lot and practice hard braking and quick turns to avoid obsticles. As far as sliding the bike or laying it down... correct me if I'm wrong members but I would think you should only lay it down to avoid high siding it and goind airborne. As long as your on the bike... you have control.

beerchug.gif

I can show you how to twist the throttle, powershift and shoot a pistol while riding ,but I am fortunate and am left-handed.

Back